The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Does anyone know the schedule for exams this year?
Reply 1681
Original post by triste91

As far as I'm aware the actual timetable hasn't been released. But all parts of the tripos have a start date of 28th May.

Ask law students who are back next week - timetables should be made in the next 2 weeks or so. I do know that, contrary to popular belief, they don't just give you the same order as the previous year. (For which I'm glad - if I'd done Part II last year, I'd have had 4 exams in 5 days...)
it wont hurt your application, if it turns up in your offer then great. if it doesnt, then you can always flunk it
Reply 1684
Hey there people, prospective law student here hoping to find out more about the course at Cambridge. Is it true that you guys have to memorise everything except statutes (e.g. law theories/judgments/cases) for examinations? I've browsed a few law books and wouldn't there be an insane amount of stuff to memorise then for examinations?
Original post by g3rcyz
Hey there people, prospective law student here hoping to find out more about the course at Cambridge. Is it true that you guys have to memorise everything except statutes (e.g. law theories/judgments/cases) for examinations? I've browsed a few law books and wouldn't there be an insane amount of stuff to memorise then for examinations?

Yes, it looks insane now but you'll come to bean expert at learning cases and names etc.
Original post by g3rcyz

Yup. You missed out articles :wink: But you drop a lot of the topics and develop a fine ability to blag. Memorising case names becomes easier over time as well.
I am disillusioned to a rather high degree with my ratio work done: work yet to do. It's probably something like 1:7. My expectations have gone down to "please give me a decent 2:i". :frown:

edit: now I think about it I'm not sure why I felt everyone needed to know this, maybe I was hoping for someone to say "I'm in the same boat" or something, not sure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1688
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I am disillusioned to a rather high degree with my ratio work done: work yet to do. It's probably something like 1:7. My expectations have gone down to "please give me a decent 2:i". :frown:

edit: now I think about it I'm not sure why I felt everyone needed to know this, maybe I was hoping for someone to say "I'm in the same boat" or something, not sure.

I am definitely in the same boat haha.

Ditto to being in the same boat :frown:
Original post by gethsemane342

Land:

Human Rights

Leases OR mortgages (mortgages is easier and smaller - but leases tends to crop up more often)

Freehold covenants (but the questions are easy. If you like contract, I recommend keeping it)

Again, a lot of topics are droppable in detail but you should know the outline of most. Human rights can be ignored for definite. What I did last year was know the difference between a lease and a licence and what a lease is and then ignore the rest of it.

DO NOT DROP: Overriding interests, beneficial interests in land, proprietary estoppel.

Oo really? I swear mortgages is everywhere (well mortgages coupled with priority analysis) :frown:
I just need a 2.1. I no longer care how I get this 2.1 - whether it's the lowest possible (i.e. 120, 120, 120, 100, 100) or whether it's one mark off a first. At the moment, the sheer amount of CPE is preventing this from happening.

Original post by alibaba03
Oo really? I swear mortgages is everywhere (well mortgages coupled with priority analysis) :frown:

IIRC, it's more that they either mention a mortgage in which case you talk about overriding interests or you have the equitable mortgage issue in severance. But the details of undue influence, doctrine of clogs and fetters etc won't really arise much. Of course, it won't be a SB paper this year (I'm going to guess either RT or AG will write it) so it won't be as lease heavy as previous years. I doubt they'll ask you to know FSMA in great detail though (he loathed that part of the topic so it's not in any papers he wrote)
I just need a 2.1. I no longer care how I get this 2.1 - whether it's the lowest possible (i.e. 120, 120, 120, 100, 100) or whether it's one mark off a first. At the moment, the sheer amount of CPE is preventing this from happening.

:console:

I thought it was just me who was alarmed by the amount of CPE!

The impression I've gotten from the examiners' reports is that you can't really drop any of it, so I'm planning not to do any essays (even though they're easier to blag) since I'll have to know the substantive law inside out anyway. Since it's mainly statute-based with case law regarding interpretation, I'm hoping that doing lots of problems and applying the rules will give me a feel for what to do in the exam! :s-smilie:

(What does "FSMA" stand for? :dunce:)
Original post by Tortious
:console:

I thought it was just me who was alarmed by the amount of CPE!

The impression I've gotten from the examiners' reports is that you can't really drop any of it, so I'm planning not to do any essays (even though they're easier to blag) since I'll have to know the substantive law inside out anyway. Since it's mainly statute-based with case law regarding interpretation, I'm hoping that doing lots of problems and applying the rules will give me a feel for what to do in the exam! :s-smilie:

(What does "FSMA" stand for? :dunce:)

When the hell did we even learn about juries and absconding defendants? Ironically, my mother is on jury duty at the moment and when she came in my room to find me sitting on the floor muttering, "How should I know what to do if your juror turns out to be deaf?" she offered to ask the court people for me :tongue:

I'd like to do one essay if I can. Not procedure though *shudders*. And I thought contract was bad! But yeah, I am rethinking my revision technique and think I'll just work through problems.

(FSMA = Financial Services and Markets Act. I think it's the one regulating commercial mortgages. I think the Consumer Credit Act does the domestic ones)

Original post by alibaba03
Ditto to being in the same boat :frown:

Well this is excellent news, thanks to both of you :colonhash:

Are any other first years struggling to get their minds around the overlap between tortious and criminal assault and battery? It's causing me some trouble.
Reply 1695
I've been pretty ill so haven't been able to get much done these past two weeks! Someone reassure me that I still have time :frown:
I've been pretty ill so haven't been able to get much done these past two weeks! Someone reassure me that I still have time :frown:

If you don't still have time I don't still have time, so I assure you you still have time :smile:

You've got 6 weeks. If it's possible to get a high 2.1 on tort on about 3 days of revision, you can learn 5 subjects in 6 weeks

(Disclaimer: I wasn't the person who got the high 2.1 on 3 days of revision - my friend did it.)

(Disclaimer: I wasn't the person who got the high 2.1 on 3 days of revision - my friend did it.)

Your friend is brave, tort scares me more than anything else
Your friend is brave, tort scares me more than anything else

... My friend was severely unlucky, actually. The reason she revised it in 3 days is because we had a 5 day gap between Civil and Tort (our last exam) so she hadn't looked at it much before. And then she was ill during our exams with one result being that she spent 2-3 days of the 5 day gap recovering and trying not to throw up...

Quick Reply

Latest