The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by J052012
Do I have chance at becoming a dentist, i achieved 3A's 6B's 4C's at GCSE and have Alevels in Maths Economics ICT and further maths AS. Expected to get A*ABa
I dont mind doing anything it takes, currently 18, final year alevels ive been accepted to maths at bath university, Loughborough and sussex but I don't want to do maths anymore.

Any help please thanks,

You really need 3As. I'm not sure if they accept A*AB even though its the same points. Plus your A Levels are in the 'wrong' subjects for a dental career. You need to have done Chem + Biology. sorry :smile:
Reply 1081
Original post by rawragee
haha how is it wow? :smile: I will, hoping to get some leeway to be honest as my age and the restrictions can't really be helped, just hoping I don't get advised to take a gap year.. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I think you might be asked to take a gap year. Somewhere on my health declaration forms and stuff it says you need to 18... ( i think, I can't really remember).

I think for all courses you have to be 18 for uni, I know someone doing Art foundation, and they have to take a gap year as they're 17. Plus there must be some legal issues with treating people at the age of 17 rather than 18.

Don't be disheartened at all at having to take a gap-year because you should think of it as a year extra; to enhance your application. A year out doing work experience and other such things will really improve your chances :biggrin:
Reply 1082
Original post by DH3498
You really need 3As. I'm not sure if they accept A*AB even though its the same points. Plus your A Levels are in the 'wrong' subjects for a dental career. You need to have done Chem + Biology. sorry :smile:

Which is why there are 6 year pre-dental/foundation courses available.
Reply 1083
Thanks :smile: better try get an A in Economics :smile: .......do u think its possible to do chemistry and biology alevel in a year?
Reply 1084
Original post by J052012
Thanks :smile: better try get an A in Economics :smile: .......do u think its possible to do chemistry and biology alevel in a year?

No you'll struggle.
Reply 1085
Original post by lego*box

I think even those require at least 1? Surely they do... I haven't looked into them - sorry if I'm mistaken :smile:
Reply 1086

Compulsory subjects
Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A-level, the other must be at AS level. If A-level Maths is offered, Further Maths is acceptable at AS-level only. GCSE requirement: at least grade B at English Language and Maths, if not offered at A/AS-level.

From the king's website of the A206 course.

Go do some research before chucking in blunt and useless comments.
Reply 1087
Original post by DH3498
Compulsory subjects
Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A-level, the other must be at AS level. If A-level Maths is offered, Further Maths is acceptable at AS-level only. GCSE requirement: at least grade B at English Language and Maths, if not offered at A/AS-level.

From the king's website of the A206 course.

Go do some research before chucking in blunt and useless comments.

Right back at you dude, the A206 course offered by KCL is not a foundation/pre-dental 6 year course. It is a 5 year course for students who need additional support (both academically and financially) from local partner schools. Please read carefully before you start making comments like that.

Manchester: Typical A level offer: AAA plus grade B in a fourth AS subject (non-science subjects or only one science offered)

Cardiff: Six-Year course: The six-year course is ONLY available to students who either take no Science subjects at A-Level or take a maximum of one of Chemistry, Biology or Physics. Entry requirements will be three A-Levels at AAA.

Dundee: BDS Predental Year Entry
Lacking 3 Sciences? Consider the Predental Year
The predental year is designed for those able students who have no Science subject qualifications.
GCE A-Level AAA, at the first sitting of A levels (A2)

Bristol: GCE A/AS level grade range AAA
Subjects and grades required: Three non-science subjects, or one science and two non-science subjects.

:rolleyes:
Reply 1088
Right back at you dude, the A206 course offered by KCL is not a foundation/pre-dental 6 year course. It is a 5 year course for students who need additional support (both academically and financially) from local partner schools. Please read carefully before you start making comments like that.

Manchester: Typical A level offer: AAA plus grade B in a fourth AS subject (non-science subjects or only one science offered)

Cardiff: Six-Year course: The six-year course is ONLY available to students who either take no Science subjects at A-Level or take a maximum of one of Chemistry, Biology or Physics. Entry requirements will be three A-Levels at AAA.

Dundee: BDS Predental Year Entry
Lacking 3 Sciences? Consider the Predental Year
The predental year is designed for those able students who have no Science subject qualifications.
GCE A-Level AAA, at the first sitting of A levels (A2)

Bristol: GCE A/AS level grade range AAA
Subjects and grades required: Three non-science subjects, or one science and two non-science subjects.

:rolleyes:

My apologies :smile: I really did think you needed at least one science at A level; clearly not :biggrin: Thanks for the massive correction.
Reply 1089
Original post by DH3498
My apologies :smile: I really did think you needed at least one science at A level; clearly not :biggrin: Thanks for the massive correction.

Apology accepted. :smile:
Original post by DH3498
Unfortunately I think you might be asked to take a gap year. Somewhere on my health declaration forms and stuff it says you need to 18... ( i think, I can't really remember).

I think for all courses you have to be 18 for uni, I know someone doing Art foundation, and they have to take a gap year as they're 17. Plus there must be some legal issues with treating people at the age of 17 rather than 18.

Don't be disheartened at all at having to take a gap-year because you should think of it as a year extra; to enhance your application. A year out doing work experience and other such things will really improve your chances :biggrin:

oh no! I did already email Glasgow and Dundee Unis asking if it would be a problem, and they said as long as I had fully completed my education etc then I would still be considered.. hmm I'll phone them up (again aha) and ask again! I know in Scotland people can go to university at 16/17 but I should probably check with other ones too :frown:
Reply 1091
Original post by emily0512
I've been thinking about dentistry recently however I'm not sure whether it is worth even applying with the qualifications I have, do i stand a chance? HELP!

I am currently studying AS levels in Chemistry, Psychology, History and Design Technology and I would apply to a 6 year pre dental course.

At GCSE level I have 5 A*s and & 7As although ive been told thats not enough A*s:frown:

I already have 2 AS Levels General Studies - Grade C and Communication and Culture Grade A.

In the most recent January Modules I got a C in Chemistry and I am retaking (i really messed it up) and an A in Psychology.

Work experience wise I have 1 week in a maxofillo facial unit and will be doing 2 weeks with a general dental practioner in June. I will also be going to Tanzania for a month in august to volunteer with a school (dont know whether that helps?)

So the overall question is, Do i even stand a chance when applying? I don't want to apply and get no offers! Should I just choose something different? Or are there other options/ways into dentistry? What else could I do with my subjects, any help at all would be great!

Defs need to get that chemistry grade up...but your GCSEs are great! Maybe the chemistry exam was just a small blip...your GCSEs would suggest so!! Still get more work experience- a good variety...and also you need examples of good manual dexterity e.g calligraphy, origami, playing an instrument. Need some other hobbies/extra curriculars and also do you have any long term charity/volunteer work? Those are some other things to consider :smile: If you really want to do Dentistry and are struggling with chemistry...maybe consider getting a tutor? The pre-dental/foundation Dentistry courses are really competitive...usually the university websites will have the stats - how many places they have and how many apply. :smile: Good luck!
One of the things about dentistry that im worried about is that: what if it becomes boring? I mean you are looking into peoples mouthes all day long, dont get me wrong this is my career choice (conditional on my a level results), and im very interested in it. I just dont want the job to become monotonous and mundane if ygm...
Original post by Maryb_101
One of the things about dentistry that im worried about is that: what if it becomes boring? I mean you are looking into peoples mouthes all day long, dont get me wrong this is my career choice (conditional on my a level results), and im very interested in it. I just dont want the job to become monotonous and mundane if ygm...

Yes I completely understand you. To be honest though Dentistry is such a varied career that you won't get bored and no day will be the same. Every day you will have new cases, and will have to apply your knowledge and treat them in different ways. One case may be a simple filling, another person may need a root canal, a filling and a crown.

If General Practice does get boring, there is always the option to work in a different setting, such as Hospital Dentistry, Community Dentistry, either full-time or part time. For example, one Dentist on my work experience worked 2 days a week in the Oral Surgery ward of the hospital, and worked 3 days a week in his own practice.

If that even becomes too monotonous, there is the opportunity to go into a speciality such as Orthodontics, Paediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Endodontics, Oral Surgery (and many more).
Original post by racheatworld
Yes I completely understand you. To be honest though Dentistry is such a varied career that you won't get bored and no day will be the same. Every day you will have new cases, and will have to apply your knowledge and treat them in different ways. One case may be a simple filling, another person may need a root canal, a filling and a crown.

If General Practice does get boring, there is always the option to work in a different setting, such as Hospital Dentistry, Community Dentistry, either full-time or part time. For example, one Dentist on my work experience worked 2 days a week in the Oral Surgery ward of the hospital, and worked 3 days a week in his own practice.

If that even becomes too monotonous, there is the opportunity to go into a speciality such as Orthodontics, Paediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Endodontics, Oral Surgery (and many more).

Ah thank you for that insight. I was worried about it becoming boring but of course there are many fields within dentistry you can work in :smile: i need to sort out my work experience now. Everywhere i check they say they dont have 'insurance'.
Hi there everyone ,

I wanted to try and get a view of what other people think about my grades and work exp , and possibly shed some light on what uni's i should look at etc; my info is as follows:

GCSE's: 5A* 4A 3B ( A*'s in maths + sciences , A in English lang)

As Levels: Predicted 3 A's (Bio , Chem , Economics) 1B ( Maths ) .
(will be taking all 4 to A2)

Work experience:

1 month private dental practice ( Adults + Children's areas inside the practice)

4 weeks of teaching kS3 maths , science to children in learning centre.

Done a talk on 'importance of dental hygiene to group of 30 children.

Performed my own filling on artificial tooth.

Also craft miniature car replicas ( I figured it would show i had manual dexterity :redface: )

I know i dont have the strongest applicant profile out there , and i havent done the ukcat yet either , but will be later in the year. However , judging by my gcses and work exp both of which i already have , which uni's should i be looking at :smile: ?

I've been advised to steer clear of Birmigham and London uni's so far , due to my gcses not being good enough ? But i would like to get a better view from people :smile:

Thanks In Advance For Any Responses! :biggrin:
Reply 1096
i think your gcse's are fine and you should apply to london uni's :smile: Just try do really well on that Ukcat exam ! its the big one for most dental uni's, and get some more work experience in different area's of dentistry, personally i know its really hard especially if u dont have any contacts like me ,but keep trying,hard work never goes to waste :smile:
Original post by Rushika
i think your gcse's are fine and you should apply to london uni's :smile: Just try do really well on that Ukcat exam ! its the big one for most dental uni's, and get some more work experience in different area's of dentistry, personally i know its really hard especially if u dont have any contacts like me ,but keep trying,hard work never goes to waste :smile:

Thanks! I am definitely going to be getting some work exp in all the different areas of dentistry in the upcoming months , so should have a decent application by the time it comes to applying for uni's :smile:

Once again , thanks very much for your feedback.

PS; why are there negative ratings on my post , have i said something wrong ???
:colondollar:
Reply 1098
have no idea, some1 gave me one too! :smile: I need to find myself a orthodontist to shadow...still haven't found one yet...:frown:
Reply 1099
Original post by Rushika
have no idea, some1 gave me one too! :smile: I need to find myself a orthodontist to shadow...still haven't found one yet...:frown:

lol why an orthodontist in particular? have you shadowed in all other fields already?

Quick Reply

Latest