The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by CD315
How many of the criteria do you fit under?

First in fam to go uni, I got all A*/A's, under 18, taking relevant subjects. Soo I have 4 for definite.

Im not sure if my neighbourhood has low overall progression, if it does then I have 5.

And im not sure if my schools point score is counted as low...its 750 i think
Reply 361
Original post by kitkat19

First in fam to go uni, I got all A*/A's, under 18, taking relevant subjects. Soo I have 4 for definite.

Im not sure if my neighbourhood has low overall progression, if it does then I have 5.

I'm the same as you then. I don't have a clue how they work out the neighbourhood progression rate, the website they use didn't recognise where I'm from :redface:
Reply 362

I thought you'd be one of the first to react when people started getting letters :P Think bristol are a bit early off the mark and all the other unis are leaving it a bit later...

I'm not sure how many criteria I fit either, my dad went to uni so I can't claim that one ( although he did his degree part time so I'm not sure if that counts or not, put it down anyway)...

I'm fine for GCSE grades.

Under 18 and my subjects couldn't be more relevant :P so fine for both of them.

I'd imagine my school doesn't count as a low point score, go to a grammar school so probably fail on that one.

And I'm not sure about the area thing, for the general area I live in its fairly low but not sure how it compares to the rest of the country so this one could go either way...

So that's possibly 4 xD but they say 70% meet 3 and above so that's 30% that only meet 2 :smile:
Reply 363
Original post by CD315
I'm the same as you then. I don't have a clue how they work out the neighbourhood progression rate, the website they use didn't recognise where I'm from :redface:

Which website was this?
Reply 364
Original post by iCiaran
I thought you'd be one of the first to react when people started getting letters :P :smile:

I thought I would be one of the first aswell....lots of ppl beat me to it tho...maybe I'm not the only one really hyped up about this...bit bummed out that i'll miss results if i get a place thoo..
Original post by oli_G
I applied. Haven't received a letter.

Did you apply for UNIQ as well?
Reply 366
Which website was this?

I can't remember, it was on the Cambridge website I think, or maybe one of the others. It's slipped my mind!
Reply 367
Original post by AspiringDoctor
Did you apply for UNIQ as well?

:no:
From the Sutton Trust Website::

Priority will be given to students who meet all or most of the following criteria:

will be the first generation in their family to attend university

have achieved at least 5 A/A*s at GCSE

come from neighbourhoods with low overallprogression rates to higher education

are taking relevant subjects in relation to the subject stream they are applying for

attend schools or colleges with a low overall A level (or equivalent) point score

are under the age of 18 at the time of the summer school

It says priority right??

I've got 2, 3, 4 and 6 :smile:
Which website was this?

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/indicator/ is one. There are dozens. You just have to type "Low Participation Neighbourhood Postcode Checker" (or something along those lines) into a search engine. I just clicked the first result, which was incidentally Manchester.

I live in a low participation area and one of the 10% most deprived areas in England :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 370
Original post by SimplyEccentric
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/indicator/ is one. There are dozens. You just have to type "Low Participation Neighbourhood Postcode Checker" (or something along those lines) into a search engine. I just clicked the first result, which was incidentally Manchester.

I live in a low participation area and one of the 10% most deprived areas in England :redface:

If that checker thing is right then I've met one more criteria than I thought I would, yay :smile: thanks for posting it!
Reply 371
Original post by cheese-lemming

Priority will be given to students who meet all or most of the following criteria:

are taking relevant subjects in relation to the subject stream they are applying for

attend schools or colleges with a low overall A level (or equivalent) point score

It says priority right??

I only have 2, 4 and 6. None of the low progression rates etc., that must put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by cheese-lemming

It says priority right??

I've got 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 so I think I'll be OK although I might be disadvantaged a little with the school/college point score :smile:

Original post by EsmeA
I only have 2, 4 and 6. None of the low progression rates etc., that must put me at a disadvantage?

You could be a bit disadvantaged but it might not be a major problem depending on what you applied for :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 373
Thanks for posting the checker...I haven't met that criteria though :frown: . Also does anyone know the national average point score so I can find out if my school is bad enough to give me an advantage??

I have 1,2, 4 ,6 if any1 wants to know...maybe 5 but im not sure as stated above :smile: ^^^
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 374
Thanks for posting the checker...I haven't met that criteria though :frown: . Also does anyone know the national average point score so I can find out if my school is bad enough to give me an advantage??

I have 1,2, 4 ,6 if any1 wants to know...maybe 5 but im not sure as stated above :smile: ^^^

If you go on this page:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/

then go on 'Educational Indicators' (the PDF File) it has a list of schools/colleges that would be flagged for low GCSE/A Level scores :smile: hope that helps!

I meet all of them apart from 5 I think, cause I go to a grammar school :smile:
Since uni's now have to have reasons for charging the 9000, so reaching out to people in the community from disadvantaged backgrounds, do you think it might help with UCAS applications if you are from somewhere like that as it helps them meet any requirements they need to. Just a thought...
Reply 376
Original post by kateeeeey
If you go on this page:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/

then go on 'Educational Indicators' (the PDF File) it has a list of schools/colleges that would be flagged for low GCSE/A Level scores :smile: hope that helps!

I meet all of them apart from 5 I think, cause I go to a grammar school :smile:

Thank you soooooooo much for this....I meet 1,2,4,5,6 now....just the neighbourhood one that I dont fit into....:smile:
I sort of meet all of the criteria. I'm still confident in receiving a rejection letter though, as I'm sure the competition was immense.
I don't meet all of the criteria (only 4/6), pretty sure that I won't get a place as I can imagine how competitive it is.
Reply 379
You're all so pessimistic, I'm still hoping for a place with only 3 (possibly 4) / 6 :P

You don't know until you get a letter so don't just assume you won't get a place :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest