The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

St Pat's - Old Court vs New Court

So I was hoping to hash out all of the differences in one thread - after doing a google site search of the student room and still being only slightly enlightened. I thought of a few questions as a starting point but feel free to add/talk about whatever you want!

Rooms - Which would you say has the better rooms? (in general)
- Which are/have: bigger, more storage, nicer inside, colder, better furniture, better views :tongue: etc...

Bathrooms - Which would say has the best bathrooms? Why?

Layout - Corridors vs Blocks, which would you choose?

What are the general advantages/disadvantages of both?

Is new court really that much more sociable than old?

Where would you live if you had the choice as a new undergraduate/postgraduate/mature student/international student?

Finally, if anyone has any pictures they'd like to share that would be great, especially of the inside of old court. There are some pictures on here http://www.stpatrickshall.co.uk/ but I think it's mostly of the new court interior?
Yeah, the website is fairly outdated.

Old Court was what I stayed in for two years, and I would say it's nicer. Here's a bit of a simple pros and cons table for you.

In terms of furniture, New Court gets shelves above the desk, while Old Court gets a chest of drawers, each to their own. Also there's a shelf right above your head in Old Court, just warning you now, but you are guaranteed to hit it at least once.

Bathrooms are ok, fairly good both sides and reasonable showers.

New Court is really a lot more social than Old Court, to the extent of L Block being named Loud Block most of the time since it's party central :tongue:

Basically if you're a bit of a socialite, more like a typical student, go for New Court, otherwise go for Old Court (Like I did).

Old Court
Pros
Spacious rooms
Quiet
Good natural light (if on right side)
Warm in Winter, cool in summer
Close to the bar

Cons
Bad natural light (if on wrong side)
Tiny kitchen
A walk to the laundry
Not that social

"New" Court
Pros
More social
Bigger kitchens
Dining space
Close to Laundry

Cons
Loud (Imo this is a con)
A walk to the bar

Basically if you check the "I'd like the quiet area" box you're likely to end up in Old Court. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks, that was really helpful. I ticked the 'quiet box' so I fingers crossed I get Old Court. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by KT9
Thanks, that was really helpful. I ticked the 'quiet box' so I fingers crossed I get Old Court. :smile:

Getting too old for all those sleepless, wild nights ?:tongue:

I know the feeling.
Reply 4
Original post by Cyclo
Getting too old for all those sleepless, wild nights ?:tongue:

I know the feeling.

:laugh: I must be!

Have you decided on your accommodation yet?
Reply 5
Original post by KT9
:laugh: I must be!

Have you decided on your accommodation yet?

I'm not sure. I don't think I want full on drunkeness to keep me awake all night, every night. But, then again, I don't want to be locked away in some quiet corner.

Ideally, somewhere where people are up for a good laugh but understand not to do their best impressions of heavy metal roaring and then kick my door in if I have had enough for the night and gone beddy byes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
By the looks of it, I'll probably be going for Old Court. Yay Introverts!

Also about St Pats, does anybody have any images of the rooms? I'm searching online, but I can't really find any other than a crappy little plan on the reading website.
When I get back I'll take a few of mine in New Court, won't be in standard format since I've moved it around and got posters on the wall.
Reply 8
Original post by Cyclo
I'm not sure. I don't think I want full on drunkeness to keep me awake all night, every night. But, then again, I don't want to be locked away in some quiet corner.

Ideally, somewhere where people are up for a good laugh but understand not to do their best impressions of heavy metal roaring and then kick my door in if I have had enough for the night and gone beddy byes.

Fingers crossed that's what I've gone for. I don't think a block full of freshers is ever going to too quiet. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Naut
By the looks of it, I'll probably be going for Old Court. Yay Introverts!

Also about St Pats, does anybody have any images of the rooms? I'm searching online, but I can't really find any other than a crappy little plan on the reading website.

This is a nice little site, though not many pictures of the rooms.

There used to be another site up that I found on Google which has loads of pictures of the interiors and things but it seems to have disappeared. I'll let you know if I find it.
Reply 10
Old Court is very nice looking but sedate whereas New Court doesn't look as good but on the social side it rocked. Long corridors just makes it easier to be sociable. I was a former incumbent of L block a very long time ago and it was indeed very loud.

At the time it could not have been better as I didn't care that much about my studies. If I was to repeat my university experience, I would opt for Old Court to give the work-social balance more of a chance.
Reply 11
Original post by revrev
Old Court is very nice looking but sedate whereas New Court doesn't look as good but on the social side it rocked. Long corridors just makes it easier to be sociable. I was a former incumbent of L block a very long time ago and it was indeed very loud.

At the time it could not have been better as I didn't care that much about my studies. If I was to repeat my university experience, I would opt for Old Court to give the work-social balance more of a chance.

I'm in two minds. It depends on what kind of a mood i'm in. As it's just for the first year I am leaning towards thinking about putting up with getting too much of a 'good thing' maybe..hmm...

Quick Reply

Latest