The Student Room Group

1 month left till my exams! Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
dude, im doing A2 and I havent even started.. you'l do great :biggrin:
Reply 21
atleast you still have time dont worry and dont panic ...and plus everyone's in the same position..just do PAST PAPERS.
Original post by najinaji
Go back to your textbooks and attempt the hardest questions you can find. Don't worry if you need help, because eventually you get the hang of it and find you can do it sometimes pretty easily. Those sort of logical, multi-layered questions are the type that rake in the As with Maths.

ah thank you :smile: i started a-levels thinking maths would be the easiest, and sciences the hardest, but its been the reverse. thanks again!
I wouldn't even start revising if I had a month to go. I usually start 2 weeks before, and I'm a third year. You'll be fine, stop stressing! Good luck :smile:
Original post by AishaTara
I don't know it depends on you and how much extra work load you want. I'm so glad I didn't bother with further maths especially. I've managed to understand everything and do well in class tests, it just now i've forgotten stuff and need to revise, which i didnt have to do at gcse at all :/
i wouldn't bother with further maths, unless you want to do an engineering or maths related degree. I used to want to do a maths degree, so glad I didnt do further maths.
I'm sure if you do past papers very often you'll be fine.

I want a math related degree and about the FP1 textbook I had a look at FP1 on-line and got lost,which is quite unusual because they explain things well but I did grasp that i=square root of -1 and 2i=square root of -4.How can I do Past Papers if I can't even answer the questions?
Jesus, now I'm panicking. I've been freaking out over these Investigations I need to do to pass the course so I haven't got much revision done at all. Now I feel worse. Hmph.
Original post by Dalek1099
I want a math related degree and about the FP1 textbook I had a look at FP1 on-line and got lost,which is quite unusual because they explain things well but I did grasp that i=square root of -1 and 2i=square root of -4.How can I do Past Papers if I can't even answer the questions?

ahh well what I would do if I was you is this,
dont do much over the summer, only basic indices and surds stuff might help. For Biology, it seemed impossible when I started to do it over summer, but after the first 2 weeks of school i slowly managed to climb up the ladder and ever since did self study for sciences and finished the entire syllabus for them in feb :/ maths i've depended on school, but I wouldn't. Either keep ahead, or do past papers reguarly next year to ensure you dont forget stuff :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Coolkat
dude, im doing A2 and I havent even started.. you'l do great :biggrin:

but you've got more time than as students cuz your exams start in june :/
Reply 28
Your making me worried about A-Level because I find GCSE Maths at A* to be very easy and no revision is needed but I thought that I would be able to cope with A-Level and Further Maths as well.

It is a jump - especially further maths. I taught myself GCSE maths and FSMQ maths and maths A level (A*, A, A*) and although AS further maths is okay, I'm gonna have to work hard to get an A at A2 and an A* seem highly unlikely atm, even if I put in a LOAD of work. AS maths is not too bad, I thought the AS to A2 jump was bigger than GCSE to AS. But obviously that's only my opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Thanks Guys for all the responses! It makes me feel so much better! What would i do without TSR!! =D
Original post by E13
It is a jump - especially further maths. I taught myself GCSE maths and FSMQ maths and maths A level (A*, A, A*) and although AS further maths is okay, I'm gonna have to work hard to get an A at A2 and an A* seem highly unlikely atm, even if I put in a LOAD of work. AS maths is not too bad, I thought the AS to A2 jump was bigger than GCSE to AS. But obviously that's only my opinion.

How can you self teach so well?If people could self-teach then why would there be teachers?Teachers have actually said that I could self-teach but I don't believe them.
I have actually done some AS Maths stuff though and there is some questions I did ages ago that I thought was marked wrong by MyMaths but I won't know now because I've forgotten what I learnt.Here is the suspected question:Picture1.png
Reply 31
Original post by omgg
but you've got more time than as students cuz your exams start in june :/

Actually you're wrong. My first exam is May
and what? we have a higher workload
Reply 32
Original post by Coolkat
Actually you're wrong. My first exam is May
and what? we have a higher workload

dude dont bite my head off! my bad, my bad
thats truee, a2 is harder
im ****ting bricks i got my first business & eco exam a month from now ! :bricks:
Original post by hamzazulfiqar
im ****ting bricks i got my first business & eco exam a month from now ! :bricks:

Is Business and Economics not fun at A-Level?because I was interested in taking Business or Economics as a 5th AS Level.
Reply 35
Is Business and Economics not fun at A-Level?because I was interested in taking Business or Economics as a 5th AS Level.

Econ is well enjoyable but sooooooooo many essays! I got 30 marker in unit 2

Getting really stuck on revision here guys, i've been looking for help on youtube and found this video, it has a couple useful tips, does anyone know if they work?...
Also Does anyone have any other tips to revise?
Also in reference to A level vs GCSE.
A levels are SUPPPERRRR HARD in comparison to GCSE, i thought i wouldnt have to revise much when it came to a levels, like how i handled my GCSE's
bbutt wow was i wrong!!!
Reply 37
Original post by omgg
dude dont bite my head off! my bad, my bad
thats truee, a2 is harder

LOL sorry 4 taking it out on u, i wasnt exactly in my best mood right then :smile:

look man i done the exam in jan right and ended up with a flipping U i must admit i failed to prepare but still thinking back i didnt do that bad. But now hopefully im semi prepared and lets see what happens.. overall economics is dull and business is interesting.
How can you self teach so well?If people could self-teach then why would there be teachers?Teachers have actually said that I could self-teach but I don't believe them.
I have actually done some AS Maths stuff though and there is some questions I did ages ago that I thought was marked wrong by MyMaths but I won't know now because I've forgotten what I learnt.Here is the suspected question:Picture1.png

To quote my head of maths 'the books are crap so teachers are needed'. I self taught all of AS further maths, plus what would be equal to AS additional further maths. The books' explanations aren't brilliant, having a teacher there does help to bring things to life as a concept instead of words/numbers on a piece of paper.

Quick Reply

Latest