The Student Room Group

To those who haven't started revising yet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy
I posted on this thread a week ago saying I hadn't started. I still haven't.. whoops. Damn the internet!

same here:frown:
Original post by kurdishboy94
on the first saturday of our half term actual revision but i started around 3 hours a day of revision with school after 12th of febuary, when did you start if you can give me some tips to get your grades :smile:

I think I started around a similar time to you. It really doesn't help that I basically have to teach myself most of chemistry at home and now biology as one of my teachers is absolutely crap and we're not really covering content fast enough (and I'm finding parts of unit 5 hard as it is!):/ Hahaha, I'm probably the last person who should be giving out revision tips- I don't really know how to revise properly/super effectively so I started early! I'd say make sure you understand what's going on and past papers are a must!
Original post by Chaofan88
I think I started around a similar time to you. It really doesn't help that I basically have to teach myself most of chemistry at home and now biology as one of my teachers is absolutely crap and we're not really covering content fast enough (and I'm finding parts of unit 5 hard as it is!):/ Hahaha, I'm probably the last person who should be giving out revision tips- I don't really know how to revise properly/super effectively so I started early! I'd say make sure you understand what's going on and past papers are a must!

yo if i could give a juicy high five to how crap my teachers are too it would be amazing yep i have to teach myself biology unit 5 on my own and chemistry unit 4 because our teachers made us do unit 5 first aghhhh and NMR IS NOT EASY TO LEARN ON YOUR OWN but yeah i have the same issue. but are you doing 8 hours too?
yo if i could give a juicy high five to how crap my teachers are too it would be amazing yep i have to teach myself biology unit 5 on my own and chemistry unit 4 because our teachers made us do unit 5 first aghhhh and NMR IS NOT EASY TO LEARN ON YOUR OWN but yeah i have the same issue. but are you doing 8 hours too?

Oh goodness..:hifive: Bio 5 is infuriating!! Oh, really? How did you find Chem 5? I pretty much ****ed up chem 4 and got a C so I'm retaking that. Haha, I liked proton NMR (well, the theory behind it, not so much the interpreting diagrams!) but I find I'm actually really bad at the simple stuff like balancing any kind of equations and simple maths :tongue: I'd love to be able to do 8 hours, but at the moment it's more like 3-6. How long have you been doing hours for? I think I'll step up to 8 hours tomorrow but school starts again for me this Tuesday :frown: How many subjects/exams do yuo tend to revise for per day?
Oh goodness..:hifive: Bio 5 is infuriating!! Oh, really? How did you find Chem 5? I pretty much ****ed up chem 4 and got a C so I'm retaking that. Haha, I liked proton NMR (well, the theory behind it, not so much the interpreting diagrams!) but I find I'm actually really bad at the simple stuff like balancing any kind of equations and simple maths :tongue: I'd love to be able to do 8 hours, but at the moment it's more like 3-6. How long have you been doing hours for? I think I'll step up to 8 hours tomorrow but school starts again for me this Tuesday :frown: How many subjects/exams do yuo tend to revise for per day?

unit 5 was hard i ended up with border b :frown: retaking too but at the moment i have done for these past two weeks 8 hours every two days then to relax my mind i do 6 hours the next then 8 hours agian everday i do 4 different subjects like maths,biology and chemistry then in maths i have application like stats and D1. like last week i finished the text books this week i have been doin papers
unit 5 was hard i ended up with border b :frown: retaking too but at the moment i have done for these past two weeks 8 hours every two days then to relax my mind i do 6 hours the next then 8 hours agian everday i do 4 different subjects like maths,biology and chemistry then in maths i have application like stats and D1. like last week i finished the text books this week i have been doin papers

Good luck in your retak then! I'm retaking chem 2 as well as my AS grade was C (1 UMS from a B) in chemistry and Oxford are asking I get an A/A* in chemistry :frown: And then I'm also retaking bio 4 because I was 2 UMS from an A* in that and I doubt I did that well in my isa so I need to bring that grade up for 90% overall. Have you finished the texbooks for all your exams then (impressed!) I've gone through the textbook for bio 5, chem 2, half of bio and most of chem 4 and chem 5. But I still need to go back over stuff again (especially for bio 5) as well as english notes/revision and art coursework (a ridiculous amount of it, too)
Reply 146
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I'm still about half way through teaching myself FP3, haven't started any revision yet. Only done one chapter of the 6 in S4, might not do the exam. I don't actually need it anyway, it's my 15th maths module.

C1, C4, FP2, FP3, S4, M2, G495 are the exams I'm taking.

Are you doing the C1 module for fun? :P Just to remind yourself how easy it is after C4 :smile:
I've done (as in learnt, not revised) chapters 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11 and I'm halfway through chapter 6. I'll be doing 3 next.

For which board is that? I was thinking that's too many chapters as mine only has 6 (Edexcel) and I've only got vectors and matrices to do.
Original post by youbonkers
You have no idea how much this thread has cheered me up :tongue:

I have 4 (A2's) and haven't started serious revision yet.

FP2, FP3, M3 and the last physics module. I forget what it's about.

That's quite similar to mine except I'm doing M2 instead of M3 and I'm also resitting the first unit of physics which is pretty much the same as the mechanics modules + annoying definition questions. Out of curiosity which board are they for?
Everyone always says dont worry it would get easier when you get into uni! But nowadays i really dont think there would ever be time too relax! 7 exams and only starting papers now! 1 MONTH LEFT!
First exam is 31st May. I only have 3 exams and unfortunately I'm still in the laid back 'it'll be fine in the end' mindset I was in last year- which luckily I pulled off. Not so sure I'll be that lucky again but still struggling to get the drive or motivation to actually do any work.
Original post by JohnyTheLad
That's quite similar to mine except I'm doing M2 instead of M3 and I'm also resitting the first unit of physics which is pretty much the same as the mechanics modules + annoying definition questions. Out of curiosity which board are they for?

That is why I hate physics exams - if they missed out all the writey questions then they would be a breeze :angry:

I was half thinking of retaking a physics module but in the end just decided to work really hard for this one and hope it comes out as an A ~fingers crossed~

OCR for physics and edexcel for maths.
Reply 152
Going to cover the whole of AS and A2 of biology, physics and Maths this may/june.
(I'm crazy!!!)
My aim is to hit the A mark for every exam 1 month before i sit them :biggrin:.
Good luck in your retak then! I'm retaking chem 2 as well as my AS grade was C (1 UMS from a B) in chemistry and Oxford are asking I get an A/A* in chemistry :frown: And then I'm also retaking bio 4 because I was 2 UMS from an A* in that and I doubt I did that well in my isa so I need to bring that grade up for 90% overall. Have you finished the texbooks for all your exams then (impressed!) I've gone through the textbook for bio 5, chem 2, half of bio and most of chem 4 and chem 5. But I still need to go back over stuff again (especially for bio 5) as well as english notes/revision and art coursework (a ridiculous amount of it, too)

what you studying for in uni and did you get into oxford if so congrats thats really good i hope you do get those grades because you have got into one of the most hardest uni's not in the UK but the World loool. yeah i haven't done any book work for my retakes mainly because i have done all of it and so really fixing on my exam papers, but you have a lot of work woow i hope you get your grades seeing that you are working that hard well done :smile:
Original post by SimBa14
Are you doing the C1 module for fun? :P Just to remind yourself how easy it is after C4 :smile:

I'm supposed to be doing it because I was getting 100s in past papers but had a panic attack in the exam and ended up with 81. FP3 and S4 are supposed to be for fun and at the moment they're really stressing me out.

Original post by JohnyTheLad
For which board is that? I was thinking that's too many chapters as mine only has 6 (Edexcel) and I've only got vectors and matrices to do.

OCR. You're lucky, group theory's nasty :tongue:

That is why I hate physics exams - if they missed out all the writey questions then they would be a breeze :angry:

I was half thinking of retaking a physics module but in the end just decided to work really hard for this one and hope it comes out as an A ~fingers crossed~

OCR for physics and edexcel for maths.

Which OCR - A or B? OCR B asks the most absurd questions sometimes, and I saw 2 mistakes in the last paper I took. Ended up having to write E=1.5kT= 4.09 5 in a show that question because they can't seem to round up, and they got the units for molar mass wrong in another.
i have tarted revision but we have still finished the syllabus for both biology and physics we have 2 modules left for biology and 1 for physics is there any ody with the same situation???? :frown:
I've not started yet, and won't for a few days. I got important work to do first!
This report is 20% of a lab/coursework only module and counts to my degree (albeit a very small amount....like <1%)

Which OCR - A or B? OCR B asks the most absurd questions sometimes, and I saw 2 mistakes in the last paper I took. Ended up having to write E=1.5kT= 4.09 5 in a show that question because they can't seem to round up, and they got the units for molar mass wrong in another.

A thankfully, I've heard B's a bit of a joke.

I think the way they do all the physics A-levels are a bit of joke overally really, they try to make it non-maths-friendly so people that are rubbish at maths can do it, but maths is basically what physics is :confused:

I just can't wait to go to uni and do it properly :rolleyes:
A thankfully, I've heard B's a bit of a joke.

I think the way they do all the physics A-levels are a bit of joke overally really, they try to make it non-maths-friendly so people that are rubbish at maths can do it, but maths is basically what physics is :confused:

I just can't wait to go to uni and do it properly :rolleyes:

'Why did they design the tube map in this way?' 'Because it's aesthetically pleasing'. I'm not even joking, that was a past paper I did. I tend to get through my exams using mathematical fudgery and scribbling the most obvious crap down.
Original post by Akbar2k7
I have 6 and I'm kind of revising which is just no where near good enough.

first exam: 15/05/2012

Last: 22/06/2012

Exactly the same for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending