The Student Room Group

18 pregnant and want to go UNI!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jackso
Bull ****. Raising a baby isn't easy like you make it to be, you're the only person I've ever heard imply that. What you've been saying throughout this thread is ridiculous.

I'm not saying it is, at all. Its damn hard. But with a good support system, it makes your life a hell of a lot easier. Age does contribute to that, either. If your parents dont wanna help, your parents don't wanna help. If you can't afford a sitter, you can't afford a sitter.
OP, I think there's a "student parents" section on Mumsnet which would help you a lot with your decision.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck.
Reply 142
Original post by Jackso
Most won't be able to do that without planning well in advance and will often have to cancel, plus be exhausted by staying up all night because the infant can't sleep. Most can't cope with it and as a result the kid grows up unhappy along with attention issues. The vast majority of 18 year olds are not fit to be parents, as I have already stated. It is not a good idea.

Love to see your statistical analysis of this - Daily Mail doesn't count.
Original post by chinaberry
OP, I think there's a "student parents" section on Mumsnet which would help you a lot with your decision.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

I also recommend Baby and Bump. They are very helpful on there. Forget to mention that.
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
Why do I need to get over myself? Because I am mature enough not to be influenced by the media?? I think somebody needs to "grow up".

And if your going to attack me, grow some plums and quote me.

Honey you are harsh, I wasn't attacking you, i'm just speaking the truth...you've raised a baby,you've continued your education, you still have a social life yadda yadda yadda all that sounds impressive but it doesn't mean you should laud it over others and sound so condescending..(yeah some of your replies were). You need to calm down and not be so...aggressive

Mature enough to not be influenced by the media??? how does that count as being mature, you can form an opinion of your own, wow..who knew :rolleyes:
Reply 145
Original post by zaliack

The hell are you talking about? The majority of people who have kids in their teenage years come from families that breed like rabbits and rely on benefits to support them. That's just common observation from living next to a council estate. And of course most 18 year olds aren't going to be good parents - That is just common sense. Use your brain, please.
Original post by zaliack

:rofl:
Reply 147
I'm not saying it is, at all. Its damn hard. But with a good support system, it makes your life a hell of a lot easier. Age does contribute to that, either. If your parents dont wanna help, your parents don't wanna help. If you can't afford a sitter, you can't afford a sitter.

Why have you been so defensive over this entire issue? It's good that you've coped well with your daughter, however for most teenage mothers that isn't the case and without a support system they rely on the government. If they cannot seek help from their parents, or a babysitter, what do you suggest? In this case, surely the best thing to do for a pregnant female is to look into abortion or adoption? (I realise this isn't related to the OP's problem but still related to this thread nonetheless).
Reply 148
Postpone it for a bit, dont rush it. Hope all goes fine though!:smile:
Original post by Iron Lady
Why have you been so defensive over this entire issue? It's good that you've coped well with your daughter, however for most teenage mothers that isn't the case and without a support system they rely on the government. If they cannot seek help from their parents, or a babysitter, what do you suggest? In this case, surely the best thing to do for a pregnant female is to look into abortion or adoption? (I realise this isn't related to the OP's problem but still related to this thread nonetheless).

Defensive- why do you think? Are you asking a serious question? If people want to attack me, they can do. But people seriously need to get their facts straight.

If you all continue to be like this- I can guarantee you won't cope as parents. Just because your "30" or "40" doesn't immediately give you a badge to say your a good parent.

If they can't get help- get a full time job, and pay for childcare. If I want to i could pay £80 a week to have a live in childcarer for 35 hours a week.

Its do able.

I just wish people didnt base their facts and figures on what they see on the TV, or hear about in the media- which is what is happening.
Reply 150
Original post by Jackso
The hell are you talking about? The majority of people who have kids in their teenage years come from families that breed like rabbits and rely on benefits to support them. That's just common observation from living next to a council estate. And of course most 18 year olds aren't going to be good parents - That is just common sense. Use your brain, please.

Your observations are from one council estate though, it's hardly common sense. Your observations come from ignorance - how do you know most 18 year olds aren't going to be good parents? - in fact, it's not limited to 18 year olds, those people are more likely to be in poverty/drug addicts etc. So the chavs you see on the local estate may not be good parents, but what about everyone else who doesn't live on the council estate? Your arguing a stereotype, not common sense.
Reply 151
Original post by Miracle Day
Firstly, congratulations :smile:

Secondly, I'd put off another year. But that's just me.

Congratulations for what exactly?
Reply 152
Defensive- why do you think? Are you asking a serious question? If people want to attack me, they can do. But people seriously need to get their facts straight.

If you all continue to be like this- I can guarantee you won't cope as parents. Just because your "30" or "40" doesn't immediately give you a badge to say your a good parent.

If they can't get help- get a full time job, and pay for childcare. If I want to i could pay £80 a week to have a live in childcarer for 35 hours a week.

Its do able.

I just wish people didnt base their facts and figures on what they see on the TV, or hear about in the media- which is what is happening.

How can you tell we won't 'cope as parents'? As you say age doesn't determine ability, someone's view on young mothers won't either.

People who believe everything they read in the newspapers or see in the media, are idiots to be frank. However, it doesn't mean that they don't have a point that some teenage mothers are reckless and very irresponsible.

If you are a good mother (by reading your contribution it seems you have a very positive attitude towards learning and parenting), then simply ignore the comments and prove them wrong.
Reply 153
Original post by zaliack
Your observations are from one council estate though, it's hardly common sense. Your observations come from ignorance - how do you know most 18 year olds aren't going to be good parents? - in fact, it's not limited to 18 year olds, those people are more likely to be in poverty/drug addicts etc. So the chavs you see on the local estate may not be good parents, but what about everyone else who doesn't live on the council estate? Your arguing a stereotype, not common sense.

A lot more than one, dear. How do I know? Because I know what most 18 year olds are like. 18 year olds generally being immature isn't a stereotype, it is a fact. There are exceptions, but they are the minority. So again - Use your brain. Nothing to do with ignorance, just common sense. Stop looking for an argument.
Reply 154
Original post by Jackso
A lot more than one, dear. How do I know? Because I know what most 18 year olds are like. 18 year olds generally being immature isn't a stereotype, it is a fact. There are exceptions, but they are the minority. So again - Use your brain.

How many 18 year olds do you know have kids? Kids change you. So stop spouting ignorance and - Use your brain.
Reply 155
Original post by zaliack
How many 18 year olds do you know have kids? Kids change you. So stop spouting ignorance and - Use your brain.
Six between 15-19. None have done well. How many do you know? Kids do not change you. You just have to force yourself to adapt to their lifestyle, but not everyone does. It's more likely you won't if you're younger and therefore more immature.
Reply 156
Original post by Jackso
Six between 15-19. None have done well. How many do you know? Kids do not change you. You just have to force yourself to adapt to their lifestyle, but not everyone does. It's more likely you won't if you're younger and therefore more immature.

7, most doing well. If you don't adapt you've got support from Social Workers, Health Visitors, Parents, Friends etc. Being younger does not make you more immature.
Reply 157
Original post by zaliack
7, most doing well. If you don't adapt you've got support from Social Workers, Health Visitors, Parents, Friends etc. Being younger does not make you more immature.

You can complain all you want, at the end of the day it's still not a good choice and many people look back with regret at having kids at such a young age. Nice job of one upping me there, by the way. Very coincidental. :tongue: Yes, most of the time it does.
Original post by zaliack

Original post by Jackso
You can complain all you want, at the end of the day it's still not a good choice and many people look back with regret at having kids at such a young age. Nice job of one upping me there, by the way. Very coincidental. :tongue: Yes, most of the time it does.

Why don't you two take your squabbling to a PM instead of clogging up this thread? Neither of you are helping the OP anymore.
Original post by Kay26
Hello just wanted advice really...

I recently found out that i'm pregnant (baby due mid December).
I'm finishing my A-levels and i'm due to start university in sept/oct this year.
I don't want to put it off another year as i've already retaken the year at college for my AS however I also don't want to have to take time away from the baby once he/she is born.

The father is around and although I haven't told my family, I believe they will be more than supportive once the initial shock is over! what is the best thing to do?!

I'm going to be taking psychology and was also wondering how many hours/ days i would be doing?
Thank you! :smile:

I really hope you're trolling...........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending