The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but do international students qualify for this discount as well?
Reply 321
Original post by candy82
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but do international students qualify for this discount as well?

Of course they are.
Reply 322
Original post by Gtsouk
Of course they are.

Awesome, thanks!

I want to ask about something else, though, why is macbook air cheaper than macbook pro? I'm sorry, but I'm not a mac expert.
Original post by candy82
Awesome, thanks!

I want to ask about something else, though, why is macbook air cheaper than macbook pro? I'm sorry, but I'm not a mac expert.

because the pro is more advanced, marketed in the past as being for professionals, whereas the air has effectively replaced the macbook as the consumer variety.

Though there will be updates this year that will shake the entire line up, so you might find it's worth waiting until those happen before you buy.
Original post by candy82
Awesome, thanks!

Obviously it uses less materials to build. Aside from that they use low power CPUs, smaller batteries, no optical drive, they're just generally lower power machines.
Reply 325
Original post by Magnum Opus
because the pro is more advanced, marketed in the past as being for professionals, whereas the air has effectively replaced the macbook as the consumer variety.

Though there will be updates this year that will shake the entire line up, so you might find it's worth waiting until those happen before you buy.

Oh, I understand now. I hope this new update will be affordable. Speaking of which, are any Macbook pros around £500? I still think £800 for a student is quite too much.
Original post by candy82
Oh, I understand now. I hope this new update will be affordable. Speaking of which, are any Macbook pros around £500? I still think £800 for a student is quite too much.

MacBook Pros from as far back as 2009 can still fetch over £400 second hand on eBay, so only if you're willing to go for an older model.
Reply 327
Yeah, I don't mind if it's an older model. I just want something to operate photoshop, and other creative suites, in addition to playing movies and of course writing essays and such. I'm not looking for something fancy.
Reply 328
Original post by candy82
Yeah, I don't mind if it's an older model. I just want something to operate photoshop, and other creative suites, in addition to playing movies and of course writing essays and such. I'm not looking for something fancy.

As you are on a lower budget, can I suggest buying a Windows machine instead? That is what I did, giving me time to gather enough money to be able to afford/justify a Mac. (Which I still haven't bought yet, but am seriously considering waiting until the new announcements.)

You can do all of those things on a Windows system :smile:
Reply 329
Original post by georgia
As you are on a lower budget, can I suggest buying a Windows machine instead? That is what I did, giving me time to gather enough money to be able to afford/justify a Mac. (Which I still haven't bought yet, but am seriously considering waiting until the new announcements.)

You can do all of those things on a Windows system :smile:

Hmm, you actually make sense there. What models would you suggest then?
Reply 330
Original post by candy82
Hmm, you actually make sense there. What models would you suggest then?

Oh goodness, I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I think there is a thread you can post in on TSR where people who know their stuff will give you suggestions based upon criteria you give them.

I bought a Dell ultrabook thing myself, although wouldn't necessarily recommend it...it's not truly awful, but it's not great either.
Reply 331
Original post by georgia
Oh goodness, I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I think there is a thread you can post in on TSR where people who know their stuff will give you suggestions based upon criteria you give them.

I bought a Dell ultrabook thing myself, although wouldn't necessarily recommend it...it's not truly awful, but it's not great either.

Oh, ok! I'll start a thread there, then. Thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Reply 332
Lovely guide, thank you very much for doing it!
Reply 333
Just a quick question, I'll probably wait until the new announcements this year before buying anything.

Is it possible to get a 15% discount without being on campus? I want to buy one before I go to uni. I'll probably want to get a Macbook Pro.
I followed the link on the wiki guide which led to the Cambridge institution. Is it possible to proceed to checkout with that link even though I'm not a Cambridge student/on Cambridge campus?
Hey Is student discount still available on these macbook pro? if so can you get it before you start uni? and how xx
Original post by Dickybob-x
Hey Is student discount still available on these macbook pro? if so can you get it before you start uni? and how xx

It's available all year round.
Original post by Iepnauy
Just a quick question, I'll probably wait until the new announcements this year before buying anything.

Is it possible to get a 15% discount without being on campus? I want to buy one before I go to uni. I'll probably want to get a Macbook Pro.
I followed the link on the wiki guide which led to the Cambridge institution. Is it possible to proceed to checkout with that link even though I'm not a Cambridge student/on Cambridge campus?

Yes you can, it's how I got my iMac. Also the institutions are alphabetical, so if you fiddle with the number in the "uk_edu_5000832" part you can find your establishment just on the safe side.
So is the discount with all universitys in britain then? and if so how do I GO ABOUT getting it?
Reply 338
I've managed to find a link for a University Higher Education site, but i'm only in first year sixth form. how will Apple find out if I get it over the internet?
Thanks.
Original post by DomWall
I've managed to find a link for a University Higher Education site, but i'm only in first year sixth form. how will Apple find out if I get it over the internet?
Thanks.

I've heard they don't do anything about it. You can always try; can't do any harm.