The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So much to catch up on. Well done to everyone who has heard. Don't lose hope deserves, i'm sure you will hear shortly x
Original post by tinydancersmum
My little dancer is also a little drummer - her teacher was Phil Solomon - not sure if any of the TSR drummers might know him. :smile:

Hi tiny dancer mum
R u up at mills tomorrow ?
Original post by Pinnerite
From what I have read ......and you might have seen :wink: (?) encouragement is being given for everybody to go by public transport to the 1:1 venue where possible although car parking places are less of an issue perhaps when we move to the stadium? Car sharing to a specific parking place and then onward transfer by tube may be the answer? Luckily I can go all the way by tube alhough it will be a looooong journey :frown:

Yes I noticed that :hmmmm: but those of us living in "the Shires" (and beyond) may need to consider driving part of the way anyway. That being the case, if there are other people in the same segment that are "on the route" and parked (say) at the start of the Oystercard zone. By the time everyone chips in towards petrol for the the drive down, it could work out cheaper for all concerned - especially if it's a car load going down to the same rehearsals.

I know that they're encouraging everyone to travel by public transport, which if you're on the tube / London Connections map, then fair enough because all the transport is covered. However for those of us who live farther afield, car sharing (I feel) would be a much cheaper and convenient way of getting to the rehearsals on a regular basis, without the cost causing too much of a dent on people's finances.

Then of course there is the safety aspect (especially during the evening rehearsals) :eek:. From a personal prospective, it would be much safer travelling to "the Shires and beyond" in groups as opposed to travelling by train alone.
Reply 6083
Original post by Pinnerite
What date is your first rehearsal? Mine is May 1st. Since I am practically geriatric your job might be be to carry me on and off when the going gets tough :rolleyes: Great news that you are part of it anyway and in the BEST segment of course :wink:!

You will be fine without my assistance I am sure.....mine is also may 1 but I start a new job the day before and am in Manchester on induction all week, so hopefully they will be ok me missing the first one as I know I can miss a max of 2 :-)
Original post by SAllen79
You will be fine without my assistance I am sure.....mine is also may 1 but I start a new job the day before and am in Manchester on induction all week, so hopefully they will be ok me missing the first one as I know I can miss a max of 2 :-)

OK looks as if you may have the same schedule as 44a then who start that day -44B start on 2nd etc. Wickedgrin is also in our group, second rehearsal 8th May so may see you then? Have just found someone else who is 44FOP who might be joining the forum!
Original post by Martelldance
Hi tiny dancer mum
R u up at mills tomorrow ?

We will be there Tuesday evening. Looking forward to meeting other dancers in the group.:smile:
Will be interesting to see which direction they will go in for shoes - british (Freed,Suffolk) or not, several makes to choose from or "waterproof" for that great british weather (Gaynor's are plastic polymer box and shank).:wink:
Original post by Dancerwoman
Yes I noticed that :hmmmm: but those of us living in "the Shires" (and beyond) may need to consider driving part of the way anyway. That being the case, if there are other people in the same segment that are "on the route" and parked (say) at the start of the Oystercard zone. By the time everyone chips in towards petrol for the the drive down, it could work out cheaper for all concerned - especially if it's a car load going down to the same rehearsals.

I know that they're encouraging everyone to travel by public transport, which if you're on the tube / London Connections map, then fair enough because all the transport is covered. However for those of us who live farther afield, car sharing (I feel) would be a much cheaper and convenient way of getting to the rehearsals on a regular basis, without the cost causing too much of a dent on people's finances.

Then of course there is the safety aspect (especially during the evening rehearsals) :eek:. From a personal prospective, it would be much safer travelling to "the Shires and beyond" in groups as opposed to travelling by train alone.

Absolutely it makes sense - what I meant was *it might be necessary to find somewhere to park and then complete by tube. * Hope you find someone- will make the journey much more pleasant as well!
Original post by tinydancersmum
We will be there Tuesday evening. Looking forward to meeting other dancers in the group.:smile:
Will be interesting to see which direction they will go in for shoes - british (Freed,Suffolk) or not, several makes to choose from or "waterproof" for that great british weather (Gaynor's are plastic polymer box and shank).:wink:

I ment Tuesday lol my days r all mixed up cos the children are of

I hope it's not freeds as iv never been able to use there pointe shoes
Will be interesting to see how many got picked for our section , I guess we won't all be there at the same time though ?
It's very exciting
Have been following this thread for little while now wondering if i will ever hear from ceremonies team and this evening i did!!!

Lympics i am with you, got 90 a both opening and closing paralympics!!!!!
Dancerwoman where are you travelling from? I'm from Hertfordshire (Hitchin) to be precise if that's any help for car sharing?

I've also been looking into purchasing a network card for the train - its about £28 for the year and saves you 1/3 off each journey, so about 6 journeys from mine to London and its paid for itself :smile:
DD has had Freeds in the past, but had trouble with even the hard shanks snapping. She's been through a few different brands and currently wears Grishkos. If they take a while fitting at least there will be time to chat. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by curly6203
Have been following this thread for little while now wondering if i will ever hear from ceremonies team and this evening i did!!!

Lympics i am with you, got 90 a both opening and closing paralympics!!!!!

You must be over the moon to be in both ceremonies! My daughter has tickets for both so if I am nice to her for the next months I might even see you and lympics and all you other para people who heard these last few days at the ceremonies. Well done!:bumps::clap2::dancing2:
Congratulations all who've had good news today :biggrin:
Reply 6093
Original post by cinnamon
Saw on Twitter, someone posted they are in the Paralympics ceremony group
99 MILKY !!
I love all these descriptions and have great fun trying to work out what they all mean!

Thats the group I'm in! I have an image of me dressed up as a giant milk bottle or something now...
Original post by aspire_dance
Dancerwoman where are you travelling from? I'm from Hertfordshire (Hitchin) to be precise if that's any help for car sharing?

I've also been looking into purchasing a network card for the train - its about £28 for the year and saves you 1/3 off each journey, so about 6 journeys from mine to London and its paid for itself :smile:

Hmmm. I'm coming down from Bedfordshire but I'm based on the other branch of the First Capital Connect map. I think there was someone else in our section that's also in Hertfordshire somewhere - can't remember who though as it was quite a while back.

It did cross my mind to get a Student Railcard as I'm a full-time (mature) student. I may train it the majority of the time but I'm thinking that on the actual night of the Ceremonies that we may finish late in the night and on that occasion, seriously considering driving down on that night at least.
Original post by cinnamon
Saw on Twitter, someone posted they are in the Paralympics ceremony group
99 MILKY !!
I love all these descriptions and have great fun trying to work out what they all mean!

haha. Yes indeed so many interesting descriptions:smile:. Let me have a guess...99 Milky stands for Mily Way? lol
Reply 6096
I also received an offer for 44FOP yesterday - very excited indeed.

Only problem is that my email does not appear to include the attachments promised, i.e. rehearsal schedule and performer agreement... does anyone else have that issue? I really need to know the rehearsal schedule before I can commit, so have emailed the segment co-ordinators to ask for it.

Like so many others, intrigued to know what FOP could stand for... I am leaning towards it being something to to with the competitors parade (Flanking Olympic Parade)?
Reply 6097
Original post by rocks99

Only problem is that my email does not appear to include the attachments promised, i.e. rehearsal schedule and performer agreement... does anyone else have that issue? I really need to know the rehearsal schedule before I can commit, so have emailed the segment co-ordinators to ask for it.

Like so many others, intrigued to know what FOP could stand for... I am leaning towards it being something to to with the competitors parade (Flanking Olympic Parade)?

I too got my email yesterday for 44FOP yesterday! The first rehearsal is on May 1sth, then nothing until June with pretty much every weekend for 4 hours each day.
Reply 6098
Original post by rocks99

:dots: Front of Parade, leading the athletes????? Huge congrats to you and to everyone who has heard since I last logged on Friday. And hello to all the newbies/lurkers.:gthumb:
Reply 6099
Hi,

Another 44 FOP here. I am almost certain "FOP" stands for "Field of Play", i.e. on the stadium floor.

WHAT we are going to do there I don't know, but judging by the cryptic description I would hazard a guess that we are part of one big mass movement scene, and probably only one, which might be a tad underwhelming. Probably holding up aforementioned donkey :smile:

As I also come from "the Shires" (although the Berk Shire), in certain cases carpooling might be good - although i live on a main line into Paddington. I wonder whether they are going to set up some kind of communication tool for that. It did sound a bit like that, and it's going to be difficult to collect all of team "44 FOP" on The Studentroom :smile:

Latest