The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What's it like living in Manchester?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by victoryshinesonus
Ah okay, yeah, hopefully it will be good, looking forward to it, just need the grades now :tongue: I think I've been looking at the modern universities too much, because they offer some nice brand new accommodation which makes me drool when compared to Manchester's. But as you say it's probably standard :P

There are some new halls, I think, but they are private. The others do get refurbished from time to time. In any case, you'll be too busy out enjoying yourself to notice your surroundings all that often, I hope.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 121
which are the best en suite halls in fallow field?

also, does it make a big difference socially which hall you stay in?

is en suite really worth it?

thanks.
Original post by ugk4life
which are the best en suite halls in fallow field?
I think there is only Richmond Park and Sheavyn House.

also, does it make a big difference socially which hall you stay in?
Your social life is what you make it.

is en suite really worth it?
No. I share a bathroom between four in my flat (Oak House) and it's fine. We have a much bigger bathroom (and bath!) than my friend in Richmond and we get free loo roll and our bathroom cleaned.

thanks.

^ ^
Reply 123
Original post by ellakrystina
^ ^

thanks.
Is it hard for students to pick up part time jobs in Manchester?

I'm ineligible for a maintenance loan so I will need something to keep me going.
Original post by The_Irishlad

I'm ineligible for a maintenance loan so I will need something to keep me going.

There are lots of opportunities for student jobs. I had two interviews during freshers and secured a job in a Wetherspoon before the end of the week. Of course, as with any job, you're much more likely to get a job if you have relevant experience and a good application.
Original post by The_Irishlad

Not too difficult, if you follow the basic rules of jobhunting and have some sort of experience. When I was looking for xmas temping, I applied to two places speculatively and got the job from one.

However, there's no way you're going to be able to support yourself on part time work alone whilst studying - there just aren't enough hours in the day. If you're Irish, I suspect wage rates here will be something of a shock to you - I had a conversation with an Irish person about a year ago, and from what he said (if true), I could have got as much in unemployment benefit in Eire as I was earning after tax in the UK, whilst working full time. Min wage is £6.08ph for 21+, and £4.98 for 18-20 year olds.
Reply 127
I came to Manchester in 2004, put it this way, it's better than it was in the early 2000's, especially down south. The town centre itself is quite good, from my experience people just leave you alone. You might spot the occasional city wierdo, but it's okay in the day I guess. At night the city centre can be unpredictable. The other day I was walking from the MEN Arena at 10 in the evening and saw a party bus full of dancing half naked women. It was pretty epic. Parts of Manchester can be pretty dull. Theres Rochdale, a really poor , almost ghetto-like area from my experience, I particularly don't like south manchester, well, parts of it. As someone mentioned before, you get a lot of scum of society luring around the bottom, well, "chavs" or wannabe gangsters, especially in council estates like Wythenshawe and Moss Side. On the whole it's not too bad I guess. There are many student opportunities, such as work and leisure. Many students can work part time in retail stores and small businesses, theres the usual student jobs available. On the whole I think you should enjoy it. It's pretty good I guess.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by L_Vieru
I came to Manchester in 2004, put it this way, it's better than it was in the early 2000's, especially down south. The town centre itself is quite good, from my experience people just leave you alone. You might spot the occasional city wierdo, but it's okay in the day I guess. At night the city centre can be unpredictable. The other day I was walking from the MEN Arena at 10 in the evening and saw a party bus full of dancing half naked women. It was pretty epic. Parts of Manchester can be pretty dull. Theres Rochdale, a really poor , almost ghetto-like area from my experience, I particularly don't like south manchester, well, parts of it. As someone mentioned before, you get a lot of scum of society luring around the bottom, well, "chavs" or wannabe gangsters, especially in council estates like Wythenshawe and Moss Side. On the whole it's not too bad I guess. There are many student opportunities, such as work and leisure. Many students can work part time in retail stores and small businesses, theres the usual student jobs available. On the whole I think you should enjoy it. It's pretty good I guess.

Did you stay in Manchester after you graduated?
As someone born in Wythenshawe and now living in Rochdale I obviously have no future!
Weather, weather, weather. What's the weather REALLY like. Manc is supposed to have near constant, light rain and lack sunshine. This year was particularly warm, dry and sunny. Next year it's supposed to be particularly cold, wet and gloomy (so i hear), what's the weather normally like at Manc? Is it really that cold, wet and gloomy or is it all a myth?
Original post by 4RealBlud
Weather, weather, weather. What's the weather REALLY like. Manc is supposed to have near constant, light rain and lack sunshine. This year was particularly warm, dry and sunny. Next year it's supposed to be particularly cold, wet and gloomy (so i hear), what's the weather normally like at Manc? Is it really that cold, wet and gloomy or is it all a myth?

It's been fine all this year - rain relatively rare, although it did get fairly cold (consistently sub zero) at one point.

Now, I believe this academic year has been better than average, but I wouldn't start trusting weather forecasts that claim to be able to tell a year in advance - they can't get the weather right 5 days in advance, so goodness only knows why they think they can tell a year in advance.

As a side note, I have family in Cheshire (i.e. very close to Manchester), and I can't remember the weather being unusually wet / cold / gloomy when visiting them (as I have done occasionally all my life) when compared to Bristol.

Yeah I don't actually think it's rained that much, I remember at the beginning of the year it poured down for about two weeks, but other than that, I don't see this constants rain everyone else does.

Having said that, I do notice Manchester does seem to have a slightly permanent grey tinge to the sky..
Reply 133
Original post by tillytots
Yeah I don't actually think it's rained that much, I remember at the beginning of the year it poured down for about two weeks, but other than that, I don't see this constants rain everyone else does.

Having said that, I do notice Manchester does seem to have a slightly permanent grey tinge to the sky..

Original post by Origami Bullets
It's been fine all this year - rain relatively rare, although it did get fairly cold (consistently sub zero) at one point.

Now, I believe this academic year has been better than average, but I wouldn't start trusting weather forecasts that claim to be able to tell a year in advance - they can't get the weather right 5 days in advance, so goodness only knows why they think they can tell a year in advance.

As a side note, I have family in Cheshire (i.e. very close to Manchester), and I can't remember the weather being unusually wet / cold / gloomy when visiting them (as I have done occasionally all my life) when compared to Bristol.

Whenever I visited my uncle in Sale (outskirts but on the tram) and went into Manchester city centre it seemed to always rain but not dramatic constant drizzle maybe you get so used to it you don't notice? :tongue:

I saw Manchester in proper sunshine and heat in the last week of March it was amazing the new buildings in particular looked really nice
Original post by HighRoller
At night stay away from the northern quarters, printworks, piccadily, , mancunain way and salford (where that student got shot in the head). If you're living a little further up at the student residents don't go to moss side or Rushmore.

All these place are full of yobs.

And if you go to wilmslow road aka "curry mile" with your girlie friends for a ngiht out watch out far gangs of asian chavs. The place is teeming with them and they're well known to harrass women walking thorugh, esp if they're white.

Only nice place in the whole of manchester imo is Hale and surrounding areas and parts of town like deansgate. The rest is basically just infested with obnoxious bottom-feeding scum.

Its Rusholme which shows how much you know.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not too difficult, if you follow the basic rules of jobhunting and have some sort of experience. When I was looking for xmas temping, I applied to two places speculatively and got the job from one.

However, there's no way you're going to be able to support yourself on part time work alone whilst studying - there just aren't enough hours in the day. If you're Irish, I suspect wage rates here will be something of a shock to you - I had a conversation with an Irish person about a year ago, and from what he said (if true), I could have got as much in unemployment benefit in Eire as I was earning after tax in the UK, whilst working full time. Min wage is £6.08ph for 21+, and £4.98 for 18-20 year olds.

Sadly he was right. The benefit system over here is nothing short of a joke.

Anyway enough of that, cheers for the reply. As long as it isn't too difficult I'm sure I will be grand. I have plenty of money saved up for college so I'm pretty confident I will be able to support myself.
Reply 136
There are a lot of shops, you have the trafford centre and the arndale in the city centre, there's a china town that has a few super markets and restaurants and shops. I was thinking about going to Manchester uni, but I'd rather live away from my family, I'm going to go home hopefully every other weekend though.
Original post by sarah1345
He was an idiot to be honest. If you act like that...he opened his door to strangers. That's rule number one to anyone living anywhere, let alone in a rough city like Manchester...

Explain?

Quick Reply

Latest