The Student Room Group

History of Art 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Has anyone seen the Reading History of Art department? I couldn't make their visit day so was curious as to what anyone thought of it when they saw it
Reply 201
Hi guys!

Sorry I've seen all you guys posting about applying for HofA for entry in September and I've seen a couple of people talking about Leeds uni.

Anyway, I'm currently in my first year of HofA at Leeds and it isn't what I was expecting! Basically we have 4 core modules, one of which involves no lectures, just seminars, and the other is pretty brief. The rest of your credits are made up from optional modules that can stem from outside of the department which is a good option for exploring new fields as it won't count towards your final grade!

The lectures for the Story of Art module vary depending upon interest as, generally, we look at a new topic each week and as is expected some of the lectures are fascinating whilst others are not so (personally I found the lecture of Anglo-Saxon stone crosses mind-numbing). There's no need to worry about the exams either as they're multiple choice and the majority of people tend to get at least a 2:1 on these.

If you're interested in going to Leeds don't expect to be at uni much! I'm in for around 8-10 hours (including elective modules) a week and the staff tend to give a lot of reading in order to inform discussions in seminars.

Overall, it has been a good experience and if you do choose Leeds then you'll get some fabulous lecturers (namely Griselda Pollock, Will Rea, Abigail Harrison and Gail Day) and not too much work. From personal experience I have found the people on the course somewhat "cliquey" and "exclusive" but there's plenty of other places to meet new people and if anything I've found that it's better to have friends studying other subjects so that you can relax and don't have that added pressure from competition amongst others.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone looking to go Leeds in September and good luck to everyone else! If you have any queries don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

Rebecca

P.S: If you do go to Leeds DO NOT choose the module "An Introduction to Museum Studies", led by a guy named Nick Cass. The material has potential to be really interesting, however his lectures are a tad dull and he doesn't really give you that much to play with!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by BunnyDoowop45
Hi, I'm currently a History of Art student at Aberystwyth and I have to say its a really good course :smile: I would definitely recommend the course, especially as Aberystwyth University is a great place to study. You have the Thomas Parry Library, The Huw Owen Library and the National Library of Wales which are all great to aid your studying. I think any History based subject taught in Aber is great, because the town itself is very inspiring; with its Castle ruins, old architecture and Old College, it just has a lovely feel to it (plus you're by the sea).
Also, you are taught by some great lecturers and Seminar tutors who really know their stuff. There's not a big group of us, maybe only 20 doing the subject, but it makes everything very close knit and we're all good friends now.
There is a great emphasis on Art in Aber too, with the Arts Centre holding exhibitions regularly and the School of Art doing the same. They even have futuristic looking workshops on campus which visiting artists can stay in to work on their art. Also, we have some mature students on the course this year, I get the impression it is popular with mature students.
As you mentioned that you don't feel you should aim high, I would put York and Oxford Brooks as options, but Aber is ideal as you only need 240 UCAS points to get on the course, which is actually quite easily achievable. Also, we do have a lot of foreign students on the Art courses and in the University in general, so you would honestly fit right in. I have friends on both the Art History and the Fine art course (the 2 subjects share some classes together), who are Polish, Latvian, Spanish, American, Finnish, Bulgarian and English of course. Art and Art History in Aber do seem to be popular subjects with oversees students.
If you need any help with paperwork, details etc. and accommodation, I'd be more than willing to help you out as best I can :smile:

You're super kind, for real! I was hesitating about Aber but now I think I will really apply after what you have said I'm totally convinced :smile:. For real it seems like a really nice place and being by the sea is a total bonus, I've never lived in a place like that. Anyway, apparently they're not taking people on Extra (at least that's what I've seen on UCAS) but maybe they're still taking late applications... who knows! I'm guessing and if they tell me that there are still vacations I will apply for sure! Thank you again <3
Reply 203
I've officially firmed York and put Aberystwyth as my insurance. Very exciting indeed!
Reply 204
Original post by tani90
I have just received a rejection from ucl regarding my MA in art history!!!!! i thought the interview went well...any ways being a foreign student i wished to ask a few things :
what exactly is the pgdip in art history that they are offering me in place of an offer?
also can you name a few universitites in uk which have an equally good art history deptt.???

Courtauld, Oxford, Cambridge and St. Andrews all spring to mind!
Reply 205
Thanks !! so tell me which has a better department of art history :
ucl vs university of edinburgh????
Reply 206
Original post by tani90
Thanks !! so tell me which has a better department of art history :
ucl vs university of edinburgh????

I'd say they both have quite well rounded art history departments. Generally, UCL is seen as a more prestigious university. But that being said, it really does depend on what you're looking for. Either university is going to look great on your resumé so it just comes down to the actual course itself!
Reply 207
Original post by ruthsshoes
I'm actually 2nd year at Warwick, doing HoA. The modules are great - there are core modules in 1st & 2nd year which cover everything including technique, sculpture, portraits, altarpiece, devotion etc.... The lectureres are absolutely lovely and know everyone by name - it is really easy to build up a good relationship with lecturers/tutors. I know someone mentioned you had to do Italian if you want to go to Venice - as of last year they changed this, so this is no longer compulsary, which is good because it is a really dificult and very intense course that takes up twice as much time as other modules and about 2 hours of homework per night!! Plus the lecturer is a cow!
In the 2nd year you also have the oppotunity of chooosing an outside module, I chose Italian but others do classics, philosophy or history modules.
The opportunity to study in Venice is simply excellent, but if you are not interested in Venetian art you can choose to stay in Warwick for the Autumn term and study the modern stream.
Also, there are some great work experience opportunities - I'm about to do a funded undergrad research project on the architecture of Elizabethan homes with one of the course lecturers which pays a grant and also gives you the opportunity to present your paper at a conference, which looks great if you decide you want to do post grad.
Workload is really easy - it works out approx 8 hrs per week (including seminars) and last year I was only in for 2 days per week, which means loads of free time for work/work experience/sleep/su/etc..
Let me know if anyone wants to know anything else about HoA at Warwick :smile:

Wow, thank you for writing all this :biggrin: it's really useful to hear from a current student :smile:. I'm definitely close to choosing Warwick as my firm- it sounds great.
Reply 208
what is the use of doing a graduate diploma in history of art??? i am a student of fine arts (art college) & want to change my stream to art history ( very theoretical unlike what i have studied till now )!! will it be helpful to me if i do a grad diploma 1st before doing my masters!!! i have an option of doing it from ucl..... i am in a dilemma about should i go for it or not ??????? i live outside uk so i m kind of unaware about its worth , can any one help / guide me .
Reply 209
Got an offer from Reading! :smile:
Reply 210
I'm looking at open days and history of art for 2013 entry. I got all A*'s at GCSE and want A's for a-levels

WHERE SHOULD I BE LOOKING? WHERE IS BEST ?????? could anyone give me a top ten or fifteen or something? :smile:
Original post by hatterska
Got an offer from Reading! :smile:

Well done!
Original post by AM95
I'm looking at open days and history of art for 2013 entry. I got all A*'s at GCSE and want A's for a-levels

WHERE SHOULD I BE LOOKING? WHERE IS BEST ?????? could anyone give me a top ten or fifteen or something? :smile:

Here is the straight league table (only one I've found that has hoa specifically and not hoa and history combined) http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=History+of+Art%2c+Architecture+%26+Design
Reply 213
I've already seen this - problem is , is that it blends practical art and theory based departments.

Anybody know where the top galleries get their graduates from/ where is deemed prestigious and respected in the art history world and also where NOT to go?
Original post by AM95
I've already seen this - problem is , is that it blends practical art and theory based departments.

Anybody know where the top galleries get their graduates from/ where is deemed prestigious and respected in the art history world and also where NOT to go?

I know that if you get an MA from Sotheby's, you'll be in a better position when competing against other applicants for a job there, but I don't know of anything like that at BA level. If you're looking for a highly regarded programme with straight A's, you should definitely consider the Courtauld and Oxbridge and there are so many others, York, Warwick, St. Andrews, UCL, all awesome unis with great HoA departments (the list goes on, these were just the ones I personally preferred the most). Of course a degree from a top 10 uni doesn't guarantee anything in itself, so you should try to get as much work experience as possible during your studies.
Original post by AM95

No, this particular guide lists practical Architecture and Art & Design separately. The table I posted refers to the history of art, the history of architecture and the history of design, as a collective subject.
Reply 216
Hi everyone!

I am an international student and looking for HoA masters programmes. I heard about UCL, Goldsmith, Courtauld, Sotheby's, Edinburgh.... but which one would you especially recommend if I am into modern and contemporary art + curating???

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!!!
Original post by becca2508
Hi guys!

Sorry I've seen all you guys posting about applying for HofA for entry in September and I've seen a couple of people talking about Leeds uni.

Anyway, I'm currently in my first year of HofA at Leeds and it isn't what I was expecting! Basically we have 4 core modules, one of which involves no lectures, just seminars, and the other is pretty brief. The rest of your credits are made up from optional modules that can stem from outside of the department which is a good option for exploring new fields as it won't count towards your final grade!

The lectures for the Story of Art module vary depending upon interest as, generally, we look at a new topic each week and as is expected some of the lectures are fascinating whilst others are not so (personally I found the lecture of Anglo-Saxon stone crosses mind-numbing). There's no need to worry about the exams either as they're multiple choice and the majority of people tend to get at least a 2:1 on these.

If you're interested in going to Leeds don't expect to be at uni much! I'm in for around 8-10 hours (including elective modules) a week and the staff tend to give a lot of reading in order to inform discussions in seminars.

Overall, it has been a good experience and if you do choose Leeds then you'll get some fabulous lecturers (namely Griselda Pollock, Will Rea, Abigail Harrison and Gail Day) and not too much work. From personal experience I have found the people on the course somewhat "cliquey" and "exclusive" but there's plenty of other places to meet new people and if anything I've found that it's better to have friends studying other subjects so that you can relax and don't have that added pressure from competition amongst others.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone looking to go Leeds in September and good luck to everyone else! If you have any queries don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

Rebecca

P.S: If you do go to Leeds DO NOT choose the module "An Introduction to Museum Studies", led by a guy named Nick Cass. The material has potential to be really interesting, however his lectures are a tad dull and he doesn't really give you that much to play with!

ive applied for leeds and its now my firm, so this was really helpful. thank you!
Reply 218
Original post by tohoriver
Wow, thank you for writing all this :biggrin: it's really useful to hear from a current student :smile:. I'm definitely close to choosing Warwick as my firm- it sounds great.

Hi, I've just confirmed Warwick as my firm choice on UCAS :smile: Really excited and praying I get the grades!

The aspect which really enticed me is Venice in the third term!
Reply 219
I've applied for Graduate Diploma in Art History at UCL and Courtauld. Had my interview with Courtauld yesterday, they told me they'll get back to me in 10 days, but I'm starting to freak out already! :eek:

About UCL - they are VERY slow, but when I got an interview request from Courtauld I e-mailed UCL and if they were planning to interview me. They replied in 10 minutes with an invitation. :biggrin: So maybe it's sometimes worth contacting them :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest