The Student Room Group

Best hall at goldsmiths??

Hi guys,
quick questions to Goldsmiths students,
can you recommend any hall??? (best atmosphere, distance to uni etc.)
would be cool to know.thankkks
xx
Reply 1
Loring hall, I went to goldsmiths - but dropped out because I was offered a job which I ultimately wanted as a graduate...
That aside, Loring hall is where I had most fun with my friends.

You've got Dean house - which is okay... but it's a little depressing in there at times.
Dean house is next to the amersham which makes things - somewhat - easier, Loring Hall is next to Hobgoblin - which is where a lot of people go if they just want a casual drink.
Also, Loring hall is right next door to the Student Union.

In short,

Loring Hall.
Reply 2
Original post by include
Loring hall, I went to goldsmiths - but dropped out because I was offered a job which I ultimately wanted as a graduate...
That aside, Loring hall is where I had most fun with my friends.

You've got Dean house - which is okay... but it's a little depressing in there at times.
Dean house is next to the amersham which makes things - somewhat - easier, Loring Hall is next to Hobgoblin - which is where a lot of people go if they just want a casual drink.
Also, Loring hall is right next door to the Student Union.

In short,

Loring Hall.

nice, good to know.
thank you!!
Reply 3
and what's the WORST HALL? :smile:
Reply 4
I wouldn't know, all my friends I made were in Loring, hell my girlfriend from the states was in Loring hall. I enjoyed Dean house significantly less - that is to say - just because I didn't mingle with the people as well.
Your best bet is to join the facebook group for goldsmiths Student Union and ask there as there's loads of people talking on that thing non-stop.
Reply 5
I'm currently in Loring (although not for much longer!!) and I absolutely love it! It might be down to the fact I made my room quite homely, and that my flatmates are lovely, but you can't argue with the location.

Loring is the biggest halls, it's made up of 7 blocks each of 8 flats: flats vary block-to-block in size, so you can have anything between a 4 and 8 person flat. Kitchens are a decent size, and about as good as you can expect of student halls. It's really close to uni, with sneaky back routes to the campus green, it takes approx 6minutes to get to your lectures from Loring (great for rolling out of bed for!)

Batavia Mews is basically across from Loring, but I don't think that's ensuite. I don't actually know anyone from Batavia so I've never been.

Chesterman and Dean house are closer to Richard Hoggart (the main bricky building you see on the prospectus etc.) and are across from eachother. Dean looks really depressing (again, haven't been in) but Chesterman is really nice, especially if you're lucky enough to get a room on the corner of the building (these rooms are soo much bigger!)

Location wise, these 4 are the best. Surrey House and Annexe are further down Lewisham Way, so feel a little more isolated from the rest of the Halls, which are all within a 5 minute walk of eachother, and are closer to New Cross Gate / New Cross stations, and all the good pubs. All I know is Surrey House struggle to have parties and they often get closed down...

I don't even know where Raymont house is and I've never met anyone from there!

Hope this utter rambling was the least bit useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest