Original post by facdroit

Brb uni at 17
brb graduated college at 16
brb making more money now than you will when you graduate
brb being rich
brb 142 iq

Because life revolves around money and IQ
Original post by zara55
I'm not saying this is you, but sometimes stories like this about it all being great fun and eager to do it are placed by ad companies working for the big lap dancing / pole dancing companies.

Few women who do pole dancing commercially end up enjoying it; many of the bars are basically legalised outlets for paid-for sex, thinly disguised and have a lot of pressure to offer "extras" to the punters. Former dancers speaking about it:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/10/truth-lap-dancer-clubs

Object are a good organisation who have a lot of information about working in these clubs and campaign against the sexual objectification of women by this highly profitable industry.
http://www.object.org.uk/

Well, considering that I've been posting on here for years, it would have to be a pretty cunning and far-sighted ad agency 0_o

Original post by Village Whisper
Who said anything about stripping?

I think I might go for it, it really does sound fun/satisfying. I think I'm just a bit worried that everyone else there will be really athletic and be able to learn a lot quicker than me, but that's a pretty rubbish reason for not trying :tongue: Did you do any other kind of sport/fitness stuff before you started?

I read about the bruising, and some of the reactions from doctors/nurses :tongue: I suppose it must get better, though? The girls on Youtube don't seem to have any bruises, anyway.

Not really - I danced until I was 16, and run a couple of times a week, but definitely wouldn't call myself sporty/athletic.

And the bruising does get better - once you've mastered a trick, it generally stops bruising (unless you're like me - I'm super clumsy, so regularly bet bruises from just crashing into the pole >_<). Then you start a new one and the whole cyle starts again :biggrin:

Original post by py0alb
Nah I don't believe that for one minute. If they "like turning upside down" thereare plenty of appropriate gymnastic activities that don't happen take place in nightclubs with groups of sweaty men watching you do the horizontal splits in tight/non-existent pants. Pole-dancing is pole-dancing - if its was pole gymnastics then it would be called pole gymnastics and it would take place in a gymnasium.

You're going to tell me there's nothing inherently sexual about lap-dancing next and its actually just "lap gymnastics".

I have my lessons in a small studio, not in a nightclub. And the only people who ever see me are the other people in my class.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37165658']
I have my lessons in a small studio, not in a nightclub. And the only people who ever see me are the other people in my class.

Well don't worry about it, everyone has to start somewhere.
Reply 23
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37165658']Well, considering that I've been posting on here for years, it would have to be a pretty cunning and far-sighted ad agency 0_o

Fair enough. It just begs the question then why you consider it enjoyable to re-enact something that is basically a commercial service for men that uses women. It might be worth taking a look at why that seems to be something you get certain feelings from. There might be better ways to get what you want. Just a thought. :smile:
Whatever. I can't be bothered with this any more.

OP - PM me if you've got any other questions.
Reply 25
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37165798']Whatever. I can't be bothered with this any more.

OP - PM me if you've got any other questions.

booooooooo it was just about to get interesting.
Reply 26
Original post by zara55
Fair enough. It just begs the question then why you consider it enjoyable to re-enact something that is basically a commercial service for men that uses women. It might be worth taking a look at why that seems to be something you get certain feelings from. There might be better ways to get what you want. Just a thought. :smile:

People enjoy sex, doesn't make them prostitutes.
Original post by zara55

That's incredibly condescending. We get it - you don't like pole dancing. That's fine, but it's not okay to then attribute "certain feelings" to those who do just because you feel superior.
Reply 28
That's incredibly condescending. We get it - you don't like pole dancing. That's fine, but it's not okay to then attribute "certain feelings" to those who do just because you feel superior.

Not meant that way, but tone is difficult on the web. The question is - why does pole dancing grab you? Are you aware of the industry and how it works - are you wanting to work in it? Just interested really.
Original post by zara55

This is totally ridiculous. It might be worth taking a look at what pole actually involves. Just a thought :smile:

Original post by py0alb
Nah I don't believe that for one minute. If they "like turning upside down" thereare plenty of appropriate gymnastic activities that don't happen take place in nightclubs with groups of sweaty men watching you do the horizontal splits in tight/non-existent pants. Pole-dancing is pole-dancing - if its was pole gymnastics then it would be called pole gymnastics and it would take place in a gymnasium.

You're going to tell me there's nothing inherently sexual about lap-dancing next and its actually just "lap gymnastics".

Mine are called pole fitness classes. Does that really matter anyway? It's all about what you do. There's no walking round a pole in heels, it's about building strength. And there is nothing sexual about a group of unfit women puffing and bruised after their first class.

Don't be put off by these comments, they're clearly people that have no idea what pole actually involves. If they'd tried it they would realise it is hard work. But it's amazing fun, dooo it :biggrin: The bruises and pole burn are really bad to start with but it does get better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by New...Romantic
This is totally ridiculous. It might be worth taking a look at what pole actually involves. Just a thought :smile:

Mine are called pole fitness classes. Does that really matter anyway? It's all about what you do. There's no walking round a pole in heels, it's about building strength. And there is nothing sexual about a group of unfit women puffing and bruised after their first class.

Don't be put off by these comments, they're clearly people that have no idea what pole actually involves. If they'd tried it they would realise it is hard work. But it's amazing fun, dooo it :biggrin: The bruises and pole burn are really bad to start with but it does get better.

Bruises... pole burn... using euphemisms like "pole fitness"... "nothing sexual"... doesn't sound like amazing fun.
Reply 31
Original post by py0alb

But it doesn't take place in a night club... it takes place in a dance studio. And it doesn't involve slithering up and down a pole in a sexual way. It involves doing various gymnastic moves. I'm not quite sure why you're determined to make this somehow sleazy... Of course I wouldn't say lap dancing wasn't sexual - it involves grinding on a guys genitals. That's a world away from doing acrobatic moves using a piece of inanimate kit.
Original post by zara55
I'm not saying this is you, but sometimes stories like this about it all being great fun and eager to do it are placed by ad companies working for the big lap dancing / pole dancing companies.

Few women who do pole dancing commercially end up enjoying it; many of the bars are basically legalised outlets for paid-for sex, thinly disguised and have a lot of pressure to offer "extras" to the punters. Former dancers speaking about it:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/10/truth-lap-dancer-clubs

Object are a good organisation who have a lot of information about working in these clubs and campaign against the sexual objectification of women by this highly profitable industry.
http://www.object.org.uk/

:rofl::rofl:
Another "feminist" who thinks the best way to help women is take away a line of employment from them.
Men like sex. Men find women attractive. No crusade against lap dancing clubs and the sex industry in general is going to change that. All it will do is make women poorer by reducing the number of jobs available to them.
Original post by zara55
Bruises... pole burn... using euphemisms like "pole fitness"... "nothing sexual"... doesn't sound like amazing fun.

Well if you don't think it sounds fun, don't do it. Nobody's asking you to. Just don't assume that doing it in a studio in your shorts and t-shirt while having a chat with your friend means you're involved in the sex trade. It's such a ridiculous leap. And trust me, 'pole fitness' is not a euphemism. My upper body strength has improved so much and it really is hard work trying to learn new moves. You might not believe me and think it's all rubbing up and down a pole but it's not.
Reply 34
Original post by bax121
People enjoy sex, doesn't make them prostitutes.

ah but sex shouldn't be enjoyed especially not by women. So if they pretend to enjoy sex they are essentially just one step away from selling their bodies in a degrading manner, being exploited by men and being almost as bad as pole dancers. :wink:

I also pole dance at my uni society and would echo all of Flo[ProActiv] and New...Romantic's sentiments because frankly it is just good fun! I have made lots of friends and mastering a new trick feels absolutely great. The emphasis is firmly on doing pole for exercise/ competition dancing (in which you get disqualified for overt displays of a sexual nature) and learning new spins and tricks. I can hang upside down using just my legs but cannot do any sexy moves.

I had never 'danced' before in my life but did gymnastics when I was little. I still can't dance but the gymnastics definitely helped although its by no means required. You build up strength gradually as the moves get more difficult.

This is one of the best routines I have seen and I aspire to one day be 1/10th as good as her
http://youtu.be/Y4ack-LXO2c?t=10s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by zara55
Not meant that way, but tone is difficult on the web. The question is - why does pole dancing grab you? Are you aware of the industry and how it works - are you wanting to work in it? Just interested really.

This makes about as much sense as asking a girl why she likes modern dance, and then asking if she doesn't know that girls dance in night clubs for men, or dance on videos wearing not very much, or... I can't think of a better example. There is nothing inherently sexual about a metal pole. There is nothing inherently sexual about using that pole to learn to do certain gymastic moves. If you don't believe me, google Pole Dancing for Jesus and have a look at this woman who runs classes in Texas that you can only attend if you bring your weekly church leaflet with you :rolleyes: (No, I'm not joking). It is just another kind of exercise, and the fact that you can't detach it mentally from some sleazy nightclub says more about you than about the OP.
Reply 36
Original post by Cirsium
But it doesn't take place in a night club... it takes place in a dance studio. And it doesn't involve slithering up and down a pole in a sexual way. It involves doing various gymnastic moves. I'm not quite sure why you're determined to make this somehow sleazy... Of course I wouldn't say lap dancing wasn't sexual - it involves grinding on a guys genitals. That's a world away from doing acrobatic moves using a piece of inanimate kit.

You can take the pole out of the nightclub, and you can wear less revealing clothes, and you can convince yourself its just a new edgy, empowering form of gymnastics, but its still pole dancing: an activity designed for the purposes of showing your genitals to men from imaginative angles.

Does your society never put on shows or displays? Where are they held, what do you wear, and who attends?
Reply 37
Original post by Cirsium
There is nothing inherently sexual about a metal pole.

Oh good lord. There is nothing sexual about wrapping your legs around a big hard pole and sliding up and down it?
Original post by zara55

Because pole dancers have amazing strength! The way they can hold themselves up with minimal body contact on the pole (the more accomplished ones, that is) is insane. I don't see how anyone can deny that. Yes, it can be sleazy, but that's when the dancers are working in actual strip clubs wearing heels and deliberately performing for men/women. I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's true. They know the line of work they're entering into, and that's fine, it's their choice.

However, watch this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obC7vjVc8Rk&feature=related Tell me that is sleazy in any way. It's not. It's like ballet on a pole. It's art, even. Notice how they're calling it "Pole Art" and how the top comment is "This should be an olympic sport".

EDIT: If you're going to neg me, please don't do it anonymously because it proves nothing.
(edited 11 years ago)
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37139698']there's a guy in my class who's 6ft+Oh aye. He go to aqua zumba too?

Quick Reply

Latest