The Student Room Group

Financial crisis ! whats your opinion and why :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by green.tea
I dont really know much about economics.

You should have stopped here.
Original post by py0alb
Hey you should be flattered by this CL! :biggrin:

Yeah, and I have a full time job. :tongue:
Original post by py0alb
You should have stopped here.

Perhaps you could explain why it is that we need to borrow? Why can't we live within our means? How is an economy based on borrowing more and more ever supposed to work? If your constantly spending more than you can afford surely thats the problem?

There must be somebody somewhere with a big pile of savings in order for them to be able to lend them to us. They increase their savings via interest at our expense. Why not have our own pile of savings?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 223
Perhaps you could explain why it is that we need to borrow? Why can't we live within our means? How is an economy based on borrowing more and more ever supposed to work? If your constantly spending more than you can afford surely thats the problem?

Because in a household, when you increase your borrowing by 5%, it doesn't make your income go up by 6%. Otherwise it would be a damn good idea to borrow and we'd all be doing it. Household finances don't have a built in expenditure multiplier in the same way that national economies do.

Debt financed expansionary fiscal policy can and does work to promote growth whilst simultaneously lowering the debt/GDP ratio if used correctly. Unfortunately Brown and Balls took it too far and ****ed it up for everyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 224
a big pile of savings in order for them to be able to lend them to us. They increase their savings via interest at our expense. Why not have our own pile of savings?

Loaning away your money and waiting for the interest to come is not always the best financial decision. Quite often you are better off borrowing money and investing it in an appropriately chosen project.
Original post by py0alb
Because in a household, when you increase your borrowing by 5%, it doesn't make your income go up by 6%. Otherwise it would be a damn good idea to borrow and we'd all be doing it. Household finances don't have a built in expenditure multiplier in the same way that national economies do.

Debt financed expansionary fiscal policy can and does work to promote growth whilst simultaneously lowering the debt/GDP ratio if used correctly. Unfortunately Brown and Balls took it too far and ****ed it up for everyone.

Hmm. That makes sense. Thanks.

In that case I think we should have a government controlled central bank as ive heard banded about in the media so we can still do that but get them to lay off in times of trouble and not have this credit rating worries.
Reply 226
Hmm. That makes sense. Thanks.

In that case I think we should have a government controlled central bank as ive heard banded about in the media so we can still do that but get them to lay off in times of trouble and not have this credit rating worries.

We do have a central bank, and it has to justify everything it does in a letter to the chancellor.

Currently the central bank is in change of monetary policy and the treasury is in charge of fiscal policy.
Original post by spaceman spiff

Please explain why US national debt multiplied by something like a factor of 10 between the mid 70s and mid 90s.

Because the government was spending a lot more than its tax base.

Also please explain why national saving in the US has been so low (sometimes negative) since the 70s.

Interest rates had been very low and people had been going into debt to try and ride a speculative property bubble.

Again, you're regurgitating standard textbook responses. I also took econ101 or whatever it was in which this is taught. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a lot of that textbook stuff they teach you is quite flawed.

I am not slave to economics textbooks. Infact I am very critical of them for the most part. However on this particular issue it is simply the case that wages are determined on the margin.

Now, people will only leave their jobs if they have choice. And that is exactly what people do not have in a recession. That is why recessions are prime periods for lowering of wages and benefits - because people are desperate.

Setting up to contradict yourself here.

I recently took a new job in January. I am getting paid substantially less than people were paid for the same position 3-5 years ago. I took it anyway. Why? Because most of the competing firms were offerring less! Why? Because they can. Why? Because they know people are desperate and unemployment is high.

And there is the contradiction.

So you mean to tell me you took the job which you got the greatest benefit from? And that the reason why you got paid anything at all is because there were competitors for your labour. Damm, starting to sound like me.

And yes, when unemployment is high wages should naturally start to fall as there is labour that is going unused at the current wage level. It does not help the economy generally to have loads of people unemployed.

So yes, in textbook land, if an employer lowers wages, the employees leave and find better jobs and their places are filled by others who are more desperate.

Which you have done in effect, taking the form of employment that benefits you the most. I am sure if another job turned up that was more beneficial to you, you would take that job up.

And the system is beautiful and a holy miracle of balance and precision that should not be tampered with. In reality, there are other considerations like high unemployment that mean existing workers will not leave their jobs but will accept paycuts, and new workers will enter the labour market with lower wages than their predecessors.

That is one of the ways to correct unemployment.

Ah, I see. So "freedom of choice" is now equal to "false hope". It doesn't matter if their dreams are crushed and they end up living in slums! They have the illusion of free choice in the matter, so it's all ok! Needless to say, my point stands. There is no choice.

They went in with their eyes open. Nothing is certain in life.

....uh, maybe in england, or in sweden.....not in Egypt/Sudan/Vietnam/Cambodia/Kyrgyzstan etc. etc. ad infinitum

Actually you probably do, it is pretty obvious when you see how the cities are increasing in population.

Well I've said it quite a few times already, universal labour laws that mean all humans are equal. Not the status quo, which is labour laws for western people and no laws whatsoever to protect the rest of the world who make our products.

I think many of the labour laws in the UK should be repealed, so actually I am in favour of equality.

I think you don't have the faintest clue of what you're talking about. Have you read all the articles I posted about the labour movement? If you had, you wouldn't be so woefully cavalier about what 3rd world children should be doing.

Maybe if you understood economics you would not be so cavalier about employee rights. They are the kiss of death for unfortunate people with few choices in life.

This is why I accuse you of religious adherence. First I recommended Rawls and you dismissed it without knowing what it's about.

If I was put under a veil of uncertainty, I would not be lobbying for laws that would put me out of a job if I was unfortunate in life.

Then I recommend Naomi Klein and you dismiss her without knowing a damn thing about her book.

I have read some of Klein. And it is traditional do goodery nonsense and tells unpleasant stories about well known brands just to sell books. She is a demagogue with no real understanding of how markets work.

Maybe you should read a bit of Milton Friedman.

Then you say firms "probably" treat their workers better without knowing the first thing about how these firms contract the workers. Just read the book then tell me what Nike or Apple is "probably" doing.

Obviously I do not know how the non MNC firms operate, but I suspect the conditions workers deal with under those firms are any better. Indeed if they were, why would workers work for firms that MNCs contract out to?

Lol. Get a job and then preach to me about the harm of employee rights. That's number one.

I do have a job, I work full time.

So when I complain about capitalism and you tell me "all countries went through it", then that is my response when you say "remove all regulation".

I think the protectionism and regulations you refer to were on the whole harmful.

To what extent? You're saying you would allow millions of workers to immigrate from China to the UK? Or from India or Egypt or Sudan or Nigeria?

The main problem is that of a welfare state. You cannot have open borders and also have loads of government hand outs. If there was no welfare state then I would be in favour of open borders. With a welfare state you have to be quite careful.

Ah I'm getting tired of this debate.

I recommend that you study the history of the labour movement in the west, since I do not believe you know anything about it and that's extremely significant to your views on labour rights.

I know enough about the labour movement to know it was not some kind of benevolent organisation trying to help the common good. I am not some naive sucker who believes that trade unions and the like give a dam about anything but their members (which is only right and proper)

I recommend you read No Logo by Naomi Klein, and Planet of Slums by Mike Davis to acquaint yourself with the lives of the workers who made your shoes, clothes, computers, phones, ipads, etc. As well as to understand the politics of urbanization and slum-growth. Planet of Slums will shock you, I guarantee it.

I recommend you watch free to choose.

There must be somebody somewhere with a big pile of savings in order for them to be able to lend them to us. They increase their savings via interest at our expense. Why not have our own pile of savings?

A very good spot. Well done. However the truth of the matter is that no such savings exist. There is a myth around banking that the money of savers is given to debtors. That banks are just intermediaries in this process.

The truth is that when we take out loans new money is created for that loan. The money is just created. Rather than taken from saver to debtor. The vast majority of money in the economy is created by banks, in the process of people taking out loans.

What this means is that the total amount of debt of people is not equal to the total amount of assets of the people. Instead all of this debt is owed to banks.

Now suppose we did what you suggest, we did not go into debt. Well then we would have no money, because money is created as debt.

"When banks make loans, they create additional deposits for those that have borrowed the money" - Bank of England.
Reply 229
Original post by Classical Liberal
A very good spot. Well done. However the truth of the matter is that no such savings exist. There is a myth around banking that the money of savers is given to debtors. That banks are just intermediaries in this process.

The truth is that when we take out loans new money is created for that loan. The money is just created. Rather than taken from saver to debtor. The vast majority of money in the economy is created by banks, in the process of people taking out loans.

What this means is that the total amount of debt of people is not equal to the total amount of assets of the people. Instead all of this debt is owed to banks.

Now suppose we did what you suggest, we did not go into debt. Well then we would have no money, because money is created as debt.

"When banks make loans, they create additional deposits for those that have borrowed the money" - Bank of England.

This is just plain wrong. Read back my posts from last week. Stop mischaracterising the nature of the money multiplier. We get it: you don't understand how it works and therefore it scares you.

By definition, total credit = total debit. The idea that money is owed to no-one is just patently stupid. I've read this hilariously misinformed line about "the total amount of debt of people is not equal to the total amount of assets" on conspiracy theory websites, which is obviously where you've got it from.
Original post by py0alb
This is just plain wrong. Read back my posts from last week. Stop mischaracterising the nature of the money multiplier. We get it: you don't understand how it works and therefore it scares you.

By definition, total credit = total debit. The idea that money is owed to no-one is just patently stupid. I've read this hilariously misinformed line about "the total amount of debt of people is not equal to the total amount of assets" on conspiracy theory websites, which is obviously where you've got it from.

I suspect your text books are wrong :eek:

It is true that debts equal assets. However the problem is that banks are not intermediaries. The debts of one man does not equate to the assets of another man. Instead the debts of one man are the assets of the bank, not the savers.

So when people say "Private debt does not matter" they would be correct if it the debts of one individual equated to the assets of another individual. However this is not the case. The debts of one man are the assets of the banks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
We do have a central bank, and it has to justify everything it does in a letter to the chancellor.

Currently the central bank is in change of monetary policy and the treasury is in charge of fiscal policy.

Ahh, so we can tell our bank to ignore the credit ratings people and we're sorted.

The line from the tories, that you cant borrow your way out of a debt crisis works nicely because the most knowledge most people have about economics is from newsnight and so not borrowing when your in debt seems to be sensible. Do you think thats wrong and we should be borrowing more to do as you describe above? And was it really brown and balls who caused this world wide crisis?

If we borrow money, and use it to make more money, and then pay back more money than we borrowed, so everyone has more money. Wheres that money coming from? Obviously we can print more money but that causes inflation which means you don't actually have more money. We say the economy is growing so we have more money but in an economy based on something intangible as "financial services sector" are we talking about an increase in things of value or bigger numbers? I mean Germanys manufacturing means that they create things of value so if, in a purely hypothetical situation, we removed money and had direct trading of things for other things, they'd be pretty rich whereas we seem to be focused on multiplying money which has no real value in its self. Obviously when we borrow money to make more money we could invest it in things that hold tangible value but where is that happening? Wheres our investment in making valuable stuff like Japan, Germany and China do. If the money system collapsed tomorrow would we not all be sat at our Sony screens tearfully stroking our numbers while they still had things that we actually need/want and could still get by reasonably well?

I like the idea of having silver money as pound sterling once was so that when we have lots of money we also have lots of value.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 232
I suspect your text books are wrong :eek:

It is true that debts equal assets. However the problem is that banks are not intermediaries. The debts of one man does not equate to the assets of another man. Instead the debts of one man are the assets of the bank, not the savers.

Thats a matter of semantics. As a facilitator of liquidity, the bank is owed lots of money by lots of people and it owes a lot of money to other people, or often to the same group of people. But does the bank "own" the money? Of course not. You can't own money, its not a real thing, its just credit. Banks actually own very limited assets.

But this is irrelevent really. Even if the banks somehow did "own all the assets", who do you think owns the banks? Martians?
Reply 233
Ahh, so we can tell our bank to ignore the credit ratings people and we're sorted.

The line from the tories, that you cant borrow your way out of a debt crisis works nicely because the most knowledge most people have about economics is from newsnight and so not borrowing when your in debt seems to be sensible. Do you think thats wrong and we should be borrowing more to do as you describe above? And was it really brown and balls who caused this world wide crisis?

If we borrow money, and use it to make more money, and then pay back more money than we borrowed, so everyone has more money. Wheres that money coming from? Obviously we can print more money but that causes inflation which means you don't actually have more money. We say the economy is growing so we have more money but in an economy based on something intangible as "financial services sector" are we talking about an increase in things of value or bigger numbers? I mean Germanys manufacturing means that they create things of value so if, in a purely hypothetical situation, we removed money and had direct trading of things for other things, they'd be pretty rich whereas we seem to be focused on multiplying money which has no real value in its self. Obviously when we borrow money to make more money we could invest it in things that hold tangible value but where is that happening? Wheres our investment in making valuable stuff like Japan, Germany and China do. If the money system collapsed tomorrow would we not all be sat at our Sony screens tearfully stroking our numbers while they still had things that we actually need/want and could still get by reasonably well?

I like the idea of having silver money as pound sterling once was so that when we have lots of money we also have lots of value.

In answer to your question: when I, or any other economist, talk about growth or GDP we mean in real terms.

Money is merely the means of exchange, the oil that keeps the engine running.
Original post by py0alb
Thats a matter of semantics.

No it is not. It blows a great big ****ing hole into most economic models that assume that banks are just intermediaries between savers and investors, and thus have no real effect on the economy.

The fact of the matter is that banks endogenously create money and have a huge impact on the economy. Which in recent times has been to create a house price bubble.

the bank is owed lots of money by lots of people and it owes a lot of money to other people,

Private debt is a lot lower than private savings those, is it not?

Banks actually own very limited assets.

A promise to pay, is an asset. And banks own a lot of those.

Even if the banks somehow did "own all the assets", who do you think owns the banks?

If it is true that banks own most of our promises to pay, assets, then should it really be all that surprising that people in control of banks make a **** load of money without actually producing anything?
Reply 235
No it is not. It blows a great big ****ing hole into most economic models that assume that banks are just intermediaries between savers and investors, and thus have no real effect on the economy.

The fact of the matter is that banks endogenously create money and have a huge impact on the economy. Which in recent times has been to create a house price bubble.

Private debt is a lot lower than private savings those, is it not?

If it is true that banks own most of our promises to pay, assets, then should it really be all that surprising that people in control of banks make a **** load of money without actually producing anything?

Look: I assure you that it doesn't "blow a hole" in any model. Its just that some people haven't really studied the model and hence don't understand how it works and would rather just lazily jump to the conclusion that its broken rather than bothering to put the time in actually studying it. No offence, but you for example. Stop repeating tired old mantra and go and learn how to actually use the equations and gain a genuine understanding of how the economy works.

The people in control of banks have a very important job to do in ensuring that money goes where its needed within the economy. This is a very difficult and important task, and requires great skill and understanding, and hence deserves to be well paid, according to the basic Wx = Px . MPLx formula for labour market equilibrium.

THAT SAID: you're right, the majority of bankers are vastly overpaid. They receive far more in wages than the monetary equivalent of the value they add to the economy. But this is a market failure caused by the illogical way banks are run and regulated, not because there is anything intrinsically wrong with banking itself.
Original post by py0alb
Look: I assure you that it doesn't "blow a hole" in any model. Its just that some people haven't really studied the model and hence don't understand how it works and would rather just lazily jump to the conclusion that its broken rather than bothering to put the time in actually studying it. No offence, but you for example. Stop repeating tired old mantra and go and learn how to actually use the equations and gain a genuine understanding of how the economy works.

Admitadely, I have not studied things like DSGE models. However from what I gather they treat banks as intermediaries rather than institutions that indirectly manipulate the economy. Now, you do not need to know the equations to know that an assumption like this is going to wreck the model. Indeed, whenever DSGE models fail to work, most people just seem to shoe horn something new onto the end of it to make it work, like adding exogenous shocks or sticky wages that are also flexible at the same time.
Reply 237

This is true. It is also true that almost all their assets are promised to someone else. So according to your own definition, they don't belong to the bank at all.

eg: my credit card bill currently stands at £250. So that is an "asset" of my bank. But my debit account stands at £1250. So that is my "assets".

So in total, I have £1000 of assets and my bank... has nothing. Now obviously banks charge more interest than they pay out and (if they are run properly) they therefore should have net assets each year that are greater than the money they owe to their depositors. But that money doesn't just pile up. It's either used to pay the staff their wages, pay dividends to the share holders, or it is reinvested in the business. All of which means it is transferred to real people.

We own the banks. If we have shares then we are shareholders (higher risk, higher reward), and if we have deposit or savings accounts then we are effectively bondholders (lower risk, lower reward).
Reply 238
Admitadely, I have not studied things like DSGE models. However from what I gather they treat banks as intermediaries rather than institutions that indirectly manipulate the economy. Now, you do not need to know the equations to know that an assumption like this is going to wreck the model. Indeed, whenever DSGE models fail to work, most people just seem to shoe horn something new onto the end of it to make it work, like adding exogenous shocks or sticky wages that are also flexible at the same time.

Banks are treated as semi-rational profit maximising entities just like any other industry. Their "business" is to transfer credit around the economy to where it will be most valuable (in both real and nominal terms) and they skim a little off the top by charging interest in order to generate the funds to pay their staff and shareholders. Fundamentally, its no different to any other industry. All institutions indirectly manipulate the economy.
Original post by py0alb
This is true. It is also true that almost all their assets are promised to someone else.

Nooooooooooo. This is not how the system works. It is so obvious the system does not work like that when you consider how much more debt there is to banks than there is savings with banks.

The banks only need savers to meet their reserve requirements, not to hand out money to debtors (this is how I actually want the system to work, that what you think is true, is actually true). And even the banks can just get the reserves straight from the bank of england or from other banks if needs be. It is a complete illusion to think that the debts of debtors equates to the assets of savers.

eg: my credit card bill currently stands at £250. So that is an "asset" of my bank. But my debit account stands at £1250. So that is my "assets".

So in total, I have £1000 of assets and my bank... has nothing.

The bank has a liability of £1000 in total. And you have an asset of £1000 to balance it out. You do not have £1000, you have a promise to £1000.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending