The Student Room Group

Should I let him have my revision notes?

My friend just sent me an email asking me for my revision notes for History. But I'm not sure whether to give them to him or not. I'm not stingy by any means, infact I'm always the first to share but I don't feel like I should in this circumstance.

I've worked extremely hard on creating this booklet for my personal revision, it took me ages and I don't feel like I should just give it to him to use if you get what I mean? He's really lazy, and I know if I give him them he'll want all my notes for my other subjects.

Oh I'll also add one of my closest friends. And during the January exams he slacked, and I worked hard and during the exam I ended up losing time and not being able to answer a fifth of the paper and so ended up with like 5 ums above him although the same grade. I give him all my resources for that exam, and after we got our results he jokes "lol all the revision you did, and we got the same grade" etc which was rather annoying and the fact my work never payed off has probably demotivated me hugely.

I just don't feel like I should give them to him :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Damn I hate stingy people...

Edit... seeing the negs my post recieved I guess you guys must love <3 stingy people ?

lol what is the world coming to...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't.

You won't be there to hold his hand in 5 years time. It's about time he stands on his own two feet and appreciates the importance of hard work.

****ing scrounger.
Reply 3
Original post by Myth717
Damn I hate stingy people...

I'm actually not stingy. But yeah, I would probably think the same reading this :s
Reply 4
Just be like "allow you bro", I'm too busy revising.
Reply 5
Original post by Iron Lady
Don't.

You won't be there to hold his hand in 5 years time. It's about time he stands on his own two feet and appreciates the importance of hard work.

****ing scrounger.

Exactly. He's so lazy, it winds me up :angry:
Original post by Miracle Day
My friend just sent me an email asking me for my revision notes for History. But I'm not sure whether to give them to him or not. I'm not stingy by any means, infact I'm always the first to share but I don't feel like I should in this circumstance.

I've worked extremely hard on creating this booklet for my personal revision, it took me ages and I don't feel like I should just give it to him to use if you get what I mean? He's really lazy, and I know if I give him them he'll want all my notes for my other subjects.

Oh I'll also add one of my closest friends. And during the January exams he slacked, and I worked hard and during the exam I ended up losing time and not being able to answer a fifth of the paper and so ended up with like 5 ums above him although the same grade. I give him all my resources for that exam, and after we got our results he jokes "lol all the revision you did, and we got the same grade" etc which was rather annoying and the fact my work never payed off has probably demotivated me hugely.

Imo it's fair enough. It happens to me at degree level too - I work my butt off, go and see my lecturers, make my notes and work out exams and people just ask for my solutions/notes.

I was like you. At first, I hated it and it felt unfair that they had someone to ask questions and I didn't. Then I realised that I was at the top of the chain. There *was* no higher. Then I realised that no matter how much I try to avoid it, they're going to revise too. So I gave them my notes and worked even harder to give myself a challenge. Then I did.

True story.
To be honest, you don't sound like a person who likes to share. Someone who almost has a reputation for not being stingy shouldn't care about petty stuff like this, whatever your friend is like or what's happened before. Just focus on getting your own grade and never mind if he doesn't learn his "work hard" life lesson now, from you, it's just nice if you give them to him.
No!
Reply 9
I'm always willing to help people with little bits - e.g if someone missed a lesson and needs to catch up with those notes. But I compile my revision notes in my own time, for my own personal use.He should learn to do the same. Do it in the politest way possible - 'I would love to share,but I think its important you write out your own notes as I worked hard to create mine.' I don't think its stingy at all, he needs to take responsibility for his own learning. Good luck,I hope you do well!
tell him your opinion on the matter and if he disagrees then he isn't truly your friend as he doesn't respect your choice. If i was in that situation thats what i'd do anyway, and i agree with the comment above me too

Just ignore the email and pretend you didn't get the email - I don't think its that stingy, they belong to you so you should have the choice. If anything or your not sure now don't rush into a decision you'll later regret

And don't be put off after the January exams- just make sure you learn from them so they motivate you more :smile:
Personally I would just give him my notes, it makes no difference to me..it's my grade i'm worried about. If you feel really strongly about it though, as you clearly do, then don't. But IMO it's not a big deal
Reply 13
Just give them to him to appease him. They probably won't help that much anyway as very few people can learn just by reading through a booklet. The fact that you've prepared it yourself means you'll know the material much better than he ever will.
Reply 14
Exactly. He's so lazy, it winds me up :angry:

It's being cruel to be kind.

It will make him wake up and realise that he needs to work hard if he plans on attending university and future employment.

In a few years time he will thank you that you broke his chain of dependency.
If ya don't want to, then don't let anyone make you.

Then don't, I'm guessing this is A-level? Your friend should be more independent and be doing his own study and note-making. OP you're not responsible for him or his revision. I'd probably only share class notes, if even that, but not your own personal notes which you've made.
He's your closest friend and you don't want to help him succeed? What the hell, so what if he's lazy, you can help him get good grades.

You shouldn't want to help him as long as he doesn't get better than you. What sort of a selfish attitude is that to one of your best friends? You should have been happy he managed to get what he did with your help not take out your own **** ups in your exam on him.
Reply 18
I know someone like your friend, don't give him ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by RollerBall
He's your closest friend and you don't want to help him succeed? What the hell, so what if he's lazy, you can help him get good grades.

You shouldn't want to help him as long as he doesn't get better than you. What sort of a selfish attitude is that to one of your best friends? You should have been happy he managed to get what he did with your help not take out your own **** ups in your exam on him.

If he had a nice attitude about it, I would have. Point taken though.

The answers seem pretty split.

Quick Reply

Latest