The Student Room Group

I'm worried SICK that I may have Klinefelter's.. Please help

Hi.

I've been reading up on Klinefelter's and some of the symptoms seem to perfectly match me and this is depressing me. I don't want to go to the doctor because I feel like I'm being irrational.. wouldn't it be obvious if I had Klinefelters by now?

I have a LOT of facial hair, my voice is pretty deep, I have no learning disabilities, have a lot of hair on legs and underarm but not on chest.

What's worrying me is that have a very "round" body shape with curves and I also have Gynecomastia. I have 3 brothers and they all have Gynecomastia as well so this might be genetic. I have wide hips for a man and a "pear shaped" body.

I was looking at the fitness section earlier and came across this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1973664. I have a similar body type to his "before" pics except with actual Gynecomastia and a bit more fat.

When I was looking at his before pics I was convinced he had Klinfelters because he matched every symptom and then I strolled down and he had a somewhat normal looking body after the weightloss?

What I'm asking is, could I have Klinefelters even though I have a lot of facial hair, deep voice, 5.5 inch erect penis, my testicles I'm not sure how big they are but I'd think they were smaller than average. I think the guy in that thread has it as well. What do you think?
Reply 1
Anyone?
Why don't you go to the doctor

Get a DNA test

Is there any family history of klinefelters sufferers?
Reply 3
I think you're very unlikely to have klinefelter's syndrome. How old are you?
Males going through puberty very often panic that they are developing breast tissue when it's just a temporary response to hormonal changes. You say that you have a round figure - excess weight won't help with the moobs (sorry).
Most people with klinfelter's are tall and thin and you've also seen other signs that don't fit the typical picture.
But don't be embarrassed to see your GP, they'll have heard other similar worries many times before.
Reply 4
Original post by The Doggfather
Why don't you go to the doctor

Get a DNA test

Is there any family history of klinefelters sufferers?

I went to the doctor and he checked my testesterone and estrogen levels and they came back normal. I didn't tell him about me being worried about Klinefelters though I just asked him why I have a body like that and he ordered those blood tests. Surely if I had Klinefelters the doctors would've known from the test/estrogen tests and got me to do more tests, right?

My family has short people and I'm abnormally tall (tho only like 5'10, family is all under 5'6).. and I have long arms as well.

I know I'm being stupid about this but I've been paranoid about this recently and will appreciate any help.
Reply 5
Have you asked your GP directly about your concerns?

None of us can diagnose you over the internet.
Reply 6
Original post by 1mum
I think you're very unlikely to have klinefelter's syndrome. How old are you?
Males going through puberty very often panic that they are developing breast tissue when it's just a temporary response to hormonal changes. You say that you have a round figure - excess weight won't help with the moobs (sorry).
Most people with klinfelter's are tall and thin and you've also seen other signs that don't fit the typical picture.
But don't be embarrassed to see your GP, they'll have heard other similar worries many times before.

I'm 20 so have gone through puberty. I am taller than my entire family even though I'm sure I'm shorter than 5 feet 10.. in a family where everyone is around 5 feet 5 max.
Original post by Anonymous
I went to the doctor and he checked my testesterone and estrogen levels and they came back normal. I didn't tell him about me being worried about Klinefelters though I just asked him why I have a body like that and he ordered those blood tests. Surely if I had Klinefelters the doctors would've known from the test/estrogen tests and got me to do more tests, right?

My family has short people and I'm abnormally tall (tho only like 5'10, family is all under 5'6).. and I have long arms as well.

I know I'm being stupid about this but I've been paranoid about this recently and will appreciate any help.

No get a DNA karyotype

Only that way can they know 100% whether you have Klinefelters or not. You will have the XXY sex chromosomes. Tell doctor about Klinefelters and ask for a Karyotype!
Reply 8
Reading what you might have on the internet. the common cold can commonly turn into massive organ failure. go to a doctor that's what they get paid for. if your GP wont test you get a second opinion.

:smile: hope this helps
Reply 9
Original post by The Doggfather
No get a DNA karyotype

Only that way can they know 100% whether you have Klinefelters or not. You will have the XXY sex chromosomes. Tell doctor about Klinefelters and ask for a Karyotype!

Mate that was the entire point of this thread. I really don't want to go to the doctor with this because I know he'll laugh at me..

I just want to know what other people think after hearing of the symptoms. =
Mate that was the entire point of this thread. I really don't want to go to the doctor with this because I know he'll laugh at me..

Doctors are there to help, they would never laugh at you. From my point of view, it looks like you have Klinefelters because of all the combination of symptoms you have said. There you have it

Your doctor will not laugh at you.
Reply 12
No-one on here can tell you for certain if you have or haven't. Honestly, your GP has patients every day were their worry has finally overcome their embarrassment. He's heard it all before. Put your mind at rest and ask.
I'm sure you've searched, but here's a good trustworthy link I found when I had to do a presentation a while ago on Klinefelters:

http://www.genome.gov/19519068

Don't worry about looking foolish asking your Doctors, it's what there meant to do; I had to go check some chest pains, and I had to tell the guy about Precordial Catch even though it's pretty common!

Go get a karyotype test, and if it's positive then they may treat with hormone balancing??
Reply 14
Just go to your GP and find out for sure. I doubt it though - reading up about my symptoms on the internet always makes me convinced I have some sort of throat cancer, or life-threatening infection when really I just have a bad cold. I also find that I subconsciously start 'experiencing' the symptoms I read about... convincing myself even more that something is badly wrong.

Put your mind at rest and go seek professional help!
Reply 15
Deep voice means you probably don't have Klinefelter's syndrome.
Highly unlikely. Klinefleter's is essentially feminine characteristics in a male body - you only seem to have the breasts and curves and nothing else to worry over!

My aunt had Turner's (the female version of Kline's) and it was apparently very obvious - I have a photograph of her in which she looks like a girl, but she never began menstruating, she never developed breasts, she had a typically male physique, had massive problems with puberty.. It was so obvious in fact that she had a bit of a crap sex change (in the 1980s, when sex chnges were quite new and not very well done!) and became a very feminine looking man, before then marrying the surgeon that carried out the operation! .. All a bit odd - but honestly, Kline's/Turner's are rare and very unlikely!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
no pics no care
Reply 18
Hi.

I've been reading up on Klinefelter's and some of the symptoms seem to perfectly match me and this is depressing me. I don't want to go to the doctor because I feel like I'm being irrational.. wouldn't it be obvious if I had Klinefelters by now?

I have a LOT of facial hair, my voice is pretty deep, I have no learning disabilities, have a lot of hair on legs and underarm but not on chest.

What's worrying me is that have a very "round" body shape with curves and I also have Gynecomastia. I have 3 brothers and they all have Gynecomastia as well so this might be genetic. I have wide hips for a man and a "pear shaped" body.

I was looking at the fitness section earlier and came across this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1973664. I have a similar body type to his "before" pics except with actual Gynecomastia and a bit more fat.

When I was looking at his before pics I was convinced he had Klinfelters because he matched every symptom and then I strolled down and he had a somewhat normal looking body after the weightloss?

What I'm asking is, could I have Klinefelters even though I have a lot of facial hair, deep voice, 5.5 inch erect penis, my testicles I'm not sure how big they are but I'd think they were smaller than average. I think the guy in that thread has it as well. What do you think?

Klinefelters is not that common. What you've described is a normal male body type. You are quite hairly in some areas (normal), and slightly fat in certain areas (normal). Your brothers apparently look much the same (no surprise). You are taller than your brothers (hooray), and in fact about average in height. Your penis is of approximately average length. This doesn't scream 'probable Klinefelters'. Try to calm down, I seriously doubt you have Klinefelters. And if you're still really worried in a month or two, see your GP because (a) if you haven't calmed down after 2 months, you probably do need the reassurance of a blood test for karyotyping, and (b) your GP needs to know that you have an anxiety problem.
Hey man , I know what you are going through because I have suffered with this my whole life as well, never got diagnosed with it and I always had energy and I was normal as a boy just with wide hips and skinny , at 12 I developed gyno while I was chunky and thought it would go away if I lost weight , only ate 3 light meals a day and it got rid of the chub but the boobs , tho a lot smaller where still there . They stayed with me even after I hit puberty and shot up from 15 through 17 to abiotic 6 foot where I ended up at . I’m now almost 19 years old out of school and they are still here and I still have wide hips, it’s upsetting because I am active and have committed to the gym and it’s always been hard for me to build mass as I am skinny but also hard for me to get lean because of how my body holds on to the little fat it keeps . So I never really had a good shape for a guy verve when working out hard and eating clean and all . I feel like I’m stuck this way and want a test for XXY syndrome as well like you , good luck. Man and I hope hearing my story helps you feel less alone because I know I felt alone , have a great day

Quick Reply