The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Do we get to choose our room mates or are we randomly assigned? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by sam43
Do we get to choose our room mates or are we randomly assigned? Thanks :biggrin:

It's randomly assigned. You get put with people who have similar preferences eg all male/female flats, smokers/non-smokers. There are also some religious observations, there was a flat of Jewish students near me, so that the cooking equipment wasn't used for non-Kosher meat.
Reply 1822
Original post by My-My-My
It's randomly assigned. You get put with people who have similar preferences eg all male/female flats, smokers/non-smokers. There are also some religious observations, there was a flat of Jewish students near me, so that the cooking equipment wasn't used for non-Kosher meat.

Ohh right thanks :biggrin: I heard that you get a day to decide who you want to share with after an introductory day... :rolleyes:
Anyone going to that accommodation day next Saturday (21st April)? I know I am!
Reply 1824
Original post by groovyangel2008
Anyone going to that accommodation day next Saturday (21st April)? I know I am!

Yep :P Which accommodation are you thinking of choosing... and do you know which accomodation is closest to the medical school?
Original post by sam43
Yep :P Which accommodation are you thinking of choosing... and do you know which accomodation is closest to the medical school?

Prichatts Park is closest to the Med school but theres no need to choose accomodation solely based on proximityl. The vale is only 5/10 minutes further down the road!
(edited 11 years ago)
Can any current Birmingham students give me an idea as to roughly how much we will pay in rent when we move out into shared/ rented accommodation from year two onwards please?

I understand that there will be a huge possible range from really cheap/ grotty to really posh/ expensive but what would be a typical mid-range figure that most average students pay for an ok room in an ok normal/ student shared house in a popular student area, please (Selly Oak??)?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by *Bern1994*
Can any current Birmingham students give me an idea as to roughly how much we will pay in rent when we move out into shared/ rented accommodation from year two onwards please?

I understand that there will be a huge possible range from really cheap/ grotty to really posh/ expensive but what would be a typical mid-range figure that most average students pay for an ok room in an ok normal/ student shared house in a popular student area, please (Selly Oak??)?

Thanks in advance.

Anything from £55-90 a week per person really.

£70-80 seems a common figure.
Original post by gozatron
Anything from £55-90 a week per person really.

£70-80 seems a common figure.

Thank you Gozatron! Starting to think about the practicalities of financing five or six years at Medical School and budgeting and so on. This is really, really helpful.

May I ask if this £70-£80 pw average figure is typically payable for a 52 week contract - ie need to plan to budget for, say, (average amount £75 but allow for a small increase) £80 x 52 weeks = £3900 for the year?

Would a rate of £75 at today's prices typically include bills - if not, what would be a typical amount to budget for, please? I'm trying to get an idea of what the post-first-year-in-hall accommodation costs will be per annum excluding food.
Thank you Gozatron! Starting to think about the practicalities of financing five or six years at Medical School and budgeting and so on. This is really, really helpful.

May I ask if this £70-£80 pw average figure is typically payable for a 52 week contract - ie need to plan to budget for, say, (average amount £75 but allow for a small increase) £80 x 52 weeks = £3900 for the year?

Would a rate of £75 at today's prices typically include bills - if not, what would be a typical amount to budget for, please? I'm trying to get an idea of what the post-first-year-in-hall accommodation costs will be per annum excluding food.

I'm currently in a really nice house (new kitchen and bathroom this year, laminated floors, big TV, nice sofas etc) paying £61 a week. If you look around and be careful you can actually reduce your rent significantly.

In most cases the rent won't include bills (some will include the water) and I've found that bills are around £20 per person per month though this varies depending on the season.

It's also sensible to shop around for gas and electricity suppliers and internet is a big one. Don't be fooled by cheap one off prices and fancy adverts.
I'm currently in a really nice house (new kitchen and bathroom this year, laminated floors, big TV, nice sofas etc) paying £61 a week. If you look around and be careful you can actually reduce your rent significantly.

In most cases the rent won't include bills (some will include the water) and I've found that bills are around £20 per person per month though this varies depending on the season.

It's also sensible to shop around for gas and electricity suppliers and internet is a big one. Don't be fooled by cheap one off prices and fancy adverts.

Is that £20 per person per month all year round - so £120 per annum?
Anyone else nervous about starting med school or just me? Also, if anyone knows the Brum freshers facebook group, please link because i cant find it! :smile:
Is that £20 per person per month all year round - so £120 per annum?

For the months Dec, Jan and Feb the total cost was £87 per person for gas and electricity (6 people sharing). This is the most it has ever been as it was quite a cold winter. So that's about £30 a month. Obviously you spend less in summer as you don't have the heating on!!

Other costs include internet which is £11 a month (£2 each), water (one off payment of about £130 a year) and TV licence (one off payment again).

When you're in halls you pay none of these (except maybe a TV licence if you want to watch live TV but you don't need one for i-Player, 4OD etc).

Original post by Bettyboop93
Anyone else nervous about starting med school or just me? Also, if anyone knows the Brum freshers facebook group, please link because i cant find it! :smile:

You have every reason to be nervous, it's a big thing starting at university, leaving home and having to live on your own. It's also scary coming to do medicine. As a medical student there is a certain amount of responsibility - which increases as you move into clinical years - and a lot of pressure from mainly yourself to succeed as you've worked so hard in getting here. It's fine to be nervous, apprehensive, excited, but please do not worry. We are all lovely people and everyone will be in exactly the same boat.
It is hard work, but it was always going to be and you should be prepared for that, but that doesn't mean you won't have an amazing time and make friends for life! If you have anymore questions feel free to post again and I or another current Birmingham medic will do our best to help you out :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Does the Med School hold any sort of post-offer Birmingham Medical freshers-to-be visit day?

There's the accommodation day on Saturday - is this the last visit to the university until everyone arrives to unpack their bags in five months time?
For the months Dec, Jan and Feb the total cost was £87 per person for gas and electricity (6 people sharing). This is the most it has ever been as it was quite a cold winter. So that's about £30 a month. Obviously you spend less in summer as you don't have the heating on!!

Other costs include internet which is £11 a month (£2 each), water (one off payment of about £130 a year) and TV licence (one off payment again).

When you're in halls you pay none of these (except maybe a TV licence if you want to watch live TV but you don't need one for i-Player, 4OD etc).

)

So an average of £25 pcm for 12 months should be a sensible/ slightly generous amount to budget for = £300 total for the year.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1835
Is accommodation allocated on a first come first basis?? :confused:
Original post by sam43
Is accommodation allocated on a first come first basis?? :confused:

yeah. :smile:
Reply 1837
Original post by coco739
on the online crb payment. what is the student ID where can i find it on my form?

It should be on the offer letter you received in the post. Alternatively if you´ve applied for accomodation you can find it on the far left hand side of the welcome page when you sign in to the accom application website. Hope that helps :smile:
I'm a bit worried as I still have not received my CRB, has anyone else not got it yet?
Hi guys, new to this forum:smile:)
I also has firmed Birmingham as my first choice. Man, being a medical student sounds freaking awesome. So excited!! Looking forward to make new friends next year. That is, of course, if I manage to get A in my biology( most hated subject).
Also, I just send my health declaration, immunisation form and medical student's comply to whatever, etc. last week. How do I confirm if the school has received it?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply