The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Idris Dragon
I hope that the Steelers get a starting nose tackle so that we can jettison Casey Hampton... I'd also like to see us pick up some more linemen of both types and maybe a running back.

How about D'onta Hightower?
Original post by johnharris19944
I really want Pats to draft Janoris Jenkins im kinda iffy on whether he will be there still when on the board, hes top 10-15 if not for the personal issues.

Want Michael Brockers but thats a stretch even if his poor combine showing was bad i think he will def be gone by then.

Dre Kirkpatrick or Courtney upshaw would be fine as well.

Not sold on Mark Barron dunno how well he would do in the NFL

Like Whitney Mercelius

and i really want Pats to draft Juron Criner in the 2nd round with one of their picks i think the guy could be a stud.

Jenkins or Kirkpatrick are definitely on my radar for one of the first rounders.

As for the second, Belichick will likely deal it, but any of the pass rushers left at the end of the first will suffice, as Bill will be able to fit them in.
Original post by johnharris19944
How about D'onta Hightower?

Maybe; to be honest, Tomlin's/Colbert's approach seems to be to take the best available player and not to go reaching for people. That pick would make a lot of sense after we dumped Farrior and is sensible for where we are in round one.
Reply 3923
Janoris Jenkins should be on the board for the Pats. I read that Gilmore has moved into the number 2 CB. Jenkins could get taken by the Bengals who love guys with character issues.

I'm not as excited by the draft as I was last year, though that was probably aided by lockout heightening my interest. I'm just quite worried we are going to take Richardson at 5, hope that Cleveland do it to save Schiano the dilemma. I want Claiborne and the team needs Claiborne much more then Trent Richardson. If we take him, then we should be able to have a shot at either Doug Martin and the other running back out of Virginia Tech.. David Wilson??
Original post by Ben_S
Janoris Jenkins should be on the board for the Pats. I read that Gilmore has moved into the number 2 CB. Jenkins could get taken by the Bengals who love guys with character issues.

I'm not as excited by the draft as I was last year, though that was probably aided by lockout heightening my interest. I'm just quite worried we are going to take Richardson at 5, hope that Cleveland do it to save Schiano the dilemma. I want Claiborne and the team needs Claiborne much more then Trent Richardson. If we take him, then we should be able to have a shot at either Doug Martin and the other running back out of Virginia Tech.. David Wilson??

I hope the Browns take Richardson too, or even Tannehill. If they don't, they'll take Blackmon and my Rams need him so much :frown:
haha just had the most insane madden game. Was Pats (me) vs Packers and just lost 48-45.

I went down 14-0 in the first 30 seconds (fumble and pick 6 on first two offensive plays). Got it back to 14-14 little way into the 2nd quarter. Collapsed again, Brady through another pick and they got ahead to 28-14 by half time.

Stupidly tried an onside kick which didn't work. They went ahead 31-14. Got the ball back took it down the field for a TD, 31-21. They get the ball back, go 3 and out. This was my chance to get back in it. Go for the deep ball first up, gets picked off. Rodgers scores on a deep ball to Jennings, 38-21. Now the revival begins. Woodhead returns the kickoff 93 yards to the 7 yard line. I run it in for the TD. 38-28. Manage to stop the Packers again for a 3 and out. End of the 3rd quarter I have the ball around midfield trailing by 10.

40 yard TD to Gronk makes it 38-35 Packers. They go 3 and out again (I sack Rodgers twice) and I think it is my chance. Except they have got on my 2 yard line with a great punt. About 6 minutes left (12 min quarters). I only get to my 15 yard line and stupidly try to go for it on 4th down (Brady had been on fire so I gave the slant a go on 4th and 7). Welker drops it (sound familiar?) and they have the ball. I manage to force them to kick a field goal, 41-35. I've now got about 3:30 to score a TD. March down the field with Brady and Gronk both on song. On the 2 yard line with 1:50 left, play action pass to Hernandez and I score!!!! 42-41 Patriots.

Then it goes mental. Packers have the ball with 3 timeouts and plenty of time to get a field goal. 3rd play of the drive Rodgers throws a pick to Ihedigbo and I get it back into the Packers red zone. I run 3 times getting nowhere to burn their 3 timeouts then kick a field goal, 45-41 Pats. So I kick the ball to the Packers, they have about 1:05 with no timeouts to go 80 yards.

They slowly get to about midfield with about 30 seconds left. Rodgers throws a deep ball to Nelson, Arrington goes for the pick and misses it, Nelson makes the catch and the Packers are on the 17 yard line with 19 seconds left. Rodgers comes and spikes the ball, throws a quick slant to Driver and they have it on the 5 yard line. By the time Rodgers spikes it there is 6 seconds left on the clock. I dial up a blitz thinking they would run it (2 backs, 2 TE just Jennings outside), Rodgers play actions throws it out right to Jennings. Arrington jumps, tips the ball and Jennings dives behind him to catch it for the TD as time expires. 48-45 Packers and I felt like I wanted to kill someone.
Reply 3926
Original post by Scott129
I hope the Browns take Richardson too, or even Tannehill. If they don't, they'll take Blackmon and my Rams need him so much :frown:

You worried about Fisher taking Richardson if he's available at 6. Saw a press conference in which he was talking him up. To be honest though mate, Floyd isn't that far behind Blackmon in terms of talent I don't think. I mean 6 may be a little high for him but saying that he could easily go at 7 to JAX cause their WR corps is a shambles. Overall, I just think there isn't as much of a drop-off to that number two wide-out as some people think.
Original post by Ben_S
You worried about Fisher taking Richardson if he's available at 6. Saw a press conference in which he was talking him up. To be honest though mate, Floyd isn't that far behind Blackmon in terms of talent I don't think. I mean 6 may be a little high for him but saying that he could easily go at 7 to JAX cause their WR corps is a shambles. Overall, I just think there isn't as much of a drop-off to that number two wide-out as some people think.

Gene Smith never takes players with character concerns.
Reply 3928
Oh yeah my bad completely overlooked that
1. Ind - Luck
Was - RG3
Min - Kalil
Cle - Richardson
TB - Claiborne
Stl - Blackmon
NYJ(jax) - Ingram
Mia - Tannehill
Car - Cox
Buf - Kuechly
Kc - DeCastro
Sea - Hightower
Ari - Reiff
Dal - Poe
Phi - Still
Jax - Gilmore
Cin - Barron
SD - Floyd
Chi - Coples
Ten - Brockers
Cin - Glenn
Cle - Wright
Det - Martin
Pit - Adams
Den - Kirkpatrick
Hou - Hill
NE - Perry
GB - McClellin
Bal - Zeitler
SF - Fleener
NE - Mercilus
NYG - Randle

My latest mock
Original post by Ben_S

I agree. I think Floyd and Blackmon will turn out very similar in terms of production eventually, I just think Blackmon's more advanced at this moment. I'd love to take Floyd though but unfortunately, I can't see us picking him if either Richardson, Claiborne or maybe even Kalil are still on the board and Blackmon's gone.

And yes, deeply worried we'll take Richardson. No question he's going to be an elite RB but we've still got a couple of years left in S-Jax. We need quick fixes at other positions first before we start thinking about eventual replacements. The way I see it, when Jackson starts to decline, that's when we should pick up an RB. We could always take one with one of our many future 1st round picks if need be. I just hope Fisher talking him up is just part of these draft mind games all the coaches do.

This is a good article about the whole situation:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8285f236/article/browns-serious-about-justin-blackmon?module=HP11_content_stream
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Scott129
I agree. I think Floyd and Blackmon will turn out very similar in terms of production eventually, I just think Blackmon's more advanced at this moment. I'd love to take Floyd though but unfortunately, I can't see us picking him if either Richardson, Claiborne or maybe even Kalil are still on the board and Blackmon's gone.

And yes, deeply worried we'll take Richardson. No question he's going to be an elite RB but we've still got a couple of years left in S-Jax. We need quick fixes at other positions first before we start thinking about eventual replacements. The way I see it, when Jackson starts to decline, that's when we should pick up an RB. We could always take one with one of our many future 1st round picks if need be. I just hope Fisher talking him up is just part of these draft mind games all the coaches do.

This is a good article about the whole situation:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8285f236/article/browns-serious-about-justin-blackmon?module=HP11_content_stream

I can't see why the Browns would pick Blackmon over Richardson. Richardson can be an elite back which they sourly need. Their backfield next season will be awful without him. They have another pick at 21 or something I think? They could definitely get a Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill there who are still good quality WRs to help Colt McCoy.

I still see them taking Richardson, which means the Bucs will take Claiborne and the Rams will be able to get Blackmon.

edit: Can't see Richardson dropping to 6 either so you don't need to worry about the Rams picking him up. I seriously doubt TB would pass him up if the Browns don't want him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fudgesundae
I can't see why the Browns would pick Blackmon over Richardson. Richardson can be an elite back which they sourly need. Their backfield next season will be awful without him. They have another pick at 21 or something I think? They could definitely get a Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill there who are still good quality WRs to help Colt McCoy.

I still see them taking Richardson, which means the Bucs will take Claiborne and the Rams will be able to get Blackmon.

edit: Can't see Richardson dropping to 6 either so you don't need to worry about the Rams picking him up. I seriously doubt TB would pass him up if the Browns don't want him.

I think the Browns are making out that they want Blackmon in a bid to scare the Rams into trading up (I think it says that in the article) because they've openly said they'd listen to offers for the no.4 pick. And you're right, I can see them taking Wright with the 22nd pick.

Having said that though, they do need an outside threat and Blackmon & Floyd are the only really good receivers in this draft. And they could always pick up Doug Martin the RB with the 22nd pick or their 2nd rounder. I think there's another good RB too, can't remember his name though.

Also, TB have a fairly accomplished RB in Blount. Their pass defense was woeful at times last year too, I wouldn't put it past them taking Claiborne tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
The Browns fanbase is pretty set against T-Rich. The front office want to trade down if they can. Claiborne's a possibility, for a young superstar shutdown D. Blackmon's a possibility, to finally get a worthwhile starting receiver.

I'm glad that the Browns have exciting options in the draft, I just wish the options were from positives rather than balanced negatives.
Original post by fudgesundae
haha just had the most insane madden game. Was Pats (me) vs Packers and just lost 48-45.

I went down 14-0 in the first 30 seconds (fumble and pick 6 on first two offensive plays). Got it back to 14-14 little way into the 2nd quarter. Collapsed again, Brady through another pick and they got ahead to 28-14 by half time.

Stupidly tried an onside kick which didn't work. They went ahead 31-14. Got the ball back took it down the field for a TD, 31-21. They get the ball back, go 3 and out. This was my chance to get back in it. Go for the deep ball first up, gets picked off. Rodgers scores on a deep ball to Jennings, 38-21. Now the revival begins. Woodhead returns the kickoff 93 yards to the 7 yard line. I run it in for the TD. 38-28. Manage to stop the Packers again for a 3 and out. End of the 3rd quarter I have the ball around midfield trailing by 10.

40 yard TD to Gronk makes it 38-35 Packers. They go 3 and out again (I sack Rodgers twice) and I think it is my chance. Except they have got on my 2 yard line with a great punt. About 6 minutes left (12 min quarters). I only get to my 15 yard line and stupidly try to go for it on 4th down (Brady had been on fire so I gave the slant a go on 4th and 7). Welker drops it (sound familiar?) and they have the ball. I manage to force them to kick a field goal, 41-35. I've now got about 3:30 to score a TD. March down the field with Brady and Gronk both on song. On the 2 yard line with 1:50 left, play action pass to Hernandez and I score!!!! 42-41 Patriots.

Then it goes mental. Packers have the ball with 3 timeouts and plenty of time to get a field goal. 3rd play of the drive Rodgers throws a pick to Ihedigbo and I get it back into the Packers red zone. I run 3 times getting nowhere to burn their 3 timeouts then kick a field goal, 45-41 Pats. So I kick the ball to the Packers, they have about 1:05 with no timeouts to go 80 yards.

They slowly get to about midfield with about 30 seconds left. Rodgers throws a deep ball to Nelson, Arrington goes for the pick and misses it, Nelson makes the catch and the Packers are on the 17 yard line with 19 seconds left. Rodgers comes and spikes the ball, throws a quick slant to Driver and they have it on the 5 yard line. By the time Rodgers spikes it there is 6 seconds left on the clock. I dial up a blitz thinking they would run it (2 backs, 2 TE just Jennings outside), Rodgers play actions throws it out right to Jennings. Arrington jumps, tips the ball and Jennings dives behind him to catch it for the TD as time expires. 48-45 Packers and I felt like I wanted to kill someone.

Thats rough. We've all had some epic madden moments, but you gotta take the good with the bad.

I remember I used to play my friend up the road almost every day, and I beat him EVERY TIME.

Once, he was up 6 with 4 seconds left, and I was on my 20 after he kicked off a touchback. Matt Ryan hail mary to Roddy White in the corner for 80 yards, in bounds by about a foots width. I just laughed at my friend :P

I've had it rough too. Franchise mode, took the rams to the superbowl in 5 seasons on all-madden. Up 4 with 8-9 seconds left. Kick-off returned by the Texans 97 yards for the game winner. I wanted to die.
Original post by The Patriot
Thats rough. We've all had some epic madden moments, but you gotta take the good with the bad.

I remember I used to play my friend up the road almost every day, and I beat him EVERY TIME.

Once, he was up 6 with 4 seconds left, and I was on my 20 after he kicked off a touchback. Matt Ryan hail mary to Roddy White in the corner for 80 yards, in bounds by about a foots width. I just laughed at my friend :P

I've had it rough too. Franchise mode, took the rams to the superbowl in 5 seasons on all-madden. Up 4 with 8-9 seconds left. Kick-off returned by the Texans 97 yards for the game winner. I wanted to die.

That's why you should squib kick if you're winning at the end of the game. :tongue:
Original post by RabbitCFH
That's why you should squib kick if you're winning at the end of the game. :tongue:

A mistake I will never make again.
Or out the back of the end zone, especially with the 2011 kick off rules.

Also a surprise onside kick is hardly ever a bad idea.
Original post by The Patriot

sucks for your friend, my hail marys never work lol

haha should have squib kicked that :tongue:
It's finally official. ESPN reporting that the colts have told Luck they want him to be their number 1 pick.