AQA AS Physics A Unit 2 25/05/12 - PHYA2

This poll is closed

Difficulty of exam (120 UMS boundaries)

Very easy (68-70 for 120 UMS) 4%
Easy (64-67 for 120 UMS) 33%
Medium (60-63 for 120 UMS) 50%
Hard (57-59 for 120 UMS)14%
Total votes: 107
I've been searching around and there seem to be no discussion on this. So here goes...

Just to start off, here is the Jan 12 paper. Good luck everyone:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, just wondering looking at the specification, has your teacher mentioned anything about w=Fscostheta, cause I haven't been told anything about it. Good luck to you also :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by aerf
Hello, just wondering looking at the specification, has your teacher mentioned anything about w=Fscostheta, cause I haven't been told anything about it. Good luck to you also :biggrin:

Are you talking about resolving forcing? In which case is in the syllabus. You can resolve forces in x direction of a force and apply W=Fd/Fs to get w=Fscostheta. Hope that helps.
Reply 3
Original post by silentlife
Are you talking about resolving forcing? In which case is in the syllabus. You can resolve forces in x direction of a force and apply W=Fd/Fs to get w=Fscostheta. Hope that helps.

Yeah I've got it, we've only touched on W=fd. Bit naughty of our teacher if I'm honest. What do you think of the January paper?
I got 45/70 in unit 2 but 65/70 in unit 1

What would 45/70 actually be as a grade?
Reply 5
That would have been 89 UMS, so a B. Assuming you did the paper this January
Reply 6
The grading system is messed up for ums check this page to convert raw marks to ums from past papers, http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_ums.php
Reply 7
I'm slightly stuck on describing double slit experiment for white light :frown: any help please....
Reply 8
Ahhhh, I'll have a go. The central (bright) fringe would be white. The side fringes are continuous spectra (ie rainbow) because white light is made up of many different frequencies. So fringes would be blue nearest the centre and red on the side away from the centre. Hope that's enough.
Reply 9
Hi everyone
Good luck with your unit 2 examination.
If you don't do as well as you hoped, there's always next year to re-sit. I wish I'd studied a ton more in As, I got an E in this exam last summer but I resat and got an A in January. Trust me, it's worth putting the effort in early :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by hully03
Hi everyone
If you don't do as well as you hoped, there's always next year to re-sit. I wish I'd studied a ton more in As, I got an E in this exam last summer but I resat and got an A in January. Trust me, it's worth putting the effort in early :smile:

Nice:smile: The down side for us though, is that exams are certificate (unis know our bad results):frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by aerf
Ahhhh, I'll have a go. The central (bright) fringe would be white. The side fringes are continuous spectra (ie rainbow) because white light is made up of many different frequencies. So fringes would be blue nearest the centre and red on the side away from the centre. Hope that's enough.

I don't get the thing though about colours merging at the sides though:s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Nice:smile: The down side for us though is that we have to certificate are exams (unis know our bad results):frown:

Thanks :smile: Yes, that is a bummer, I even had to put a U in maths in (I seriously wasted Y12) but it didn't appear to have too much of a detrimental affect on uni offers (highest offer conditional ABB from UEA - Computer science) Don't rely on this though as you might not get the same luck :P
Reply 13
Original post by hully03
Hi everyone

I don't get thing about colours merging at the side though:s-smilie:

I have no idea why that happens if I'm honest and I'm not sure if we need to know. Surely a google search could explain it though
Reply 14
Does anyone have the markscheme i have to check if i got my answers right?
Waves is soo hard :frown: mechanics i think ive got covered, and optics look okayish. I guess its time for serious revision mode.
Reply 16
Yeah waves is messed up. Here is a list of topics on waves I have:
stationary waves,
polarization,
linear superposition,
Young's double slit,
and diffraction gratings,
and waves in general like amplitude and difference between transverse and longitudinal.

Have I missed out any?

Anybody got any suggestion for question they would ask about stationary waves, superposition and polarization?
Reply 17
Why do they use the single slit before the double slits when doing Young's experiment?
Reply 18
Original post by aerf
Why do they use the single slit before the double slits when doing Young's experiment?

To produce a small source of light reducing smearing because a light bulb is not coherent. No such problem with laser.

I think that's the reason. :smile: Any corrections?
I've spent much more time on all the suvat equations jazz. I know zilch about waves. I panicked so i'm hiring a private tutor to help me out as i feel like i'm still learning it, plenty of time left :eek:

Hope everyone else does well, best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending