The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by masterhr1
When I visited the exeter uni for my interview, one thing that did strike me was the very small number of people from ethnic minorities at PMS -not that its a bad thing or anything etc - but being from London and seeing the med schools where I am, it was certainly different!

Was i just not paying attention well enough or is that actually true? I'm just curious/interested to know...

I have to agree..
Wasn't until i got home and my sister asked me, that I realised I was the only black person in my interview (I think there may have been like 40-60people) Funnily enough though, I wasn't actually conscious of this at the time :dontknow:
.. so don't know what to make of that to be honest lol
Reply 1521
Lol, I thought the opposite at my interview. Mind you, Northern Ireland is pretty much just white people so I guess I don't have much to judge it on.
Reply 1522
Hey guys, Im in AS year atm and Im considering med schools Id like to go to if I possibly get the grades and I was wondering whether in Peninsula (Exeter and Plymouth) theres much to do? Like are they big cities or what? Im from Northern Ireland so I dont have a clue about the area lolz.
Reply 1523
Well it will either be one or the other next year as at the moment Exeter and Plymouth are splitting up.

Plymouth is a bigger city than Exeter, but they're nowhere near as big as London, Manchester or Birmingham :smile:

I think the population of Plymouth is about half that of Belfast, but then it's alot closer to other places :smile:

I preferred PCMD to Belfast when I went so i dont know if it says much. if your from NI though plymouth is pretty much as far away as you could get from NI
Applied for accommodation today woo
Reply 1525
Original post by Hughsie
Hey guys, Im in AS year atm and Im considering med schools Id like to go to if I possibly get the grades and I was wondering whether in Peninsula (Exeter and Plymouth) theres much to do? Like are they big cities or what? Im from Northern Ireland so I dont have a clue about the area lolz.

I didn't actually get to spend all that much time in either of them as I was only really there for the interview. From what I remember though, Exeter was a bit smaller than Belfast but Plymouth seemed to be bigger and a lot busier. As OSharp says though, they're small compared to other cities.

If you're applying next year then you'd need to maybe think about fees. QUB isn't raising their fees for us so it would be a lot cheaper there although I think QUB might be a bit harder to get in. Hope I've been helpful.
Original post by PeaceFreak
Applied for accommodation today woo

Woo so did I!
What order was your preference?
Reply 1527
Original post by stanman
I didn't actually get to spend all that much time in either of them as I was only really there for the interview. From what I remember though, Exeter was a bit smaller than Belfast but Plymouth seemed to be bigger and a lot busier. As OSharp says though, they're small compared to other cities.

If you're applying next year then you'd need to maybe think about fees. QUB isn't raising their fees for us so it would be a lot cheaper there although I think QUB might be a bit harder to get in. Hope I've been helpful.

Thanks for the advice. QUB wont even give me an offer, theyre quite high on the GCSE grade thing which mine arent overly good but honestly I dont mind where I go, aslong as I get in :smile: Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1528
No worries, I'm glad I could help. As for things to do in Plymouth/Exeter, I'm not totally sure. Although I'd say there are more things to do than there would be in NI just because there are more people in England.

QUB are really high for GCSE requirements, I only got an interview because I already had my A levels. Otherwise they wouldn't have considered me either. Best of luck with your exams and your applications
Reply 1529
I got an interview at QUB and i got ok GCSEs relative to alot of people Im certainly not one of these 10 A*s people but i was on the cut off for an interview at QUB, it was nice but i preferred PCMD and i wouldn't have felt right paying £6k pa more than all the irish students
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Woo so did I!
What order was your preference?

Rowancroft mews was my only choice
Rowancroft mews was my only choice

I didn't think to only enter one.. -_-
Lol I put rowancroft mews as first then rowancroft as second
We'll probably get what we ask for though since our offers will be unconditional before august, I guess
I didn't think to only enter one.. -_-
Lol I put rowancroft mews as first then rowancroft as second
We'll probably get what we ask for though since our offers will be unconditional before august, I guess

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah they will.

I can't justify paying an extra £30 a week for my own shower....
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah they will.

I can't justify paying an extra £30 a week for my own shower....

I agree, my student loan doesn't even cover the standard :redface: which means I'd have to use my gap year money.
Now that it's a question of my money and not my parents, en-suite doesn't seem so important anymore :tongue:
I agree, my student loan doesn't even cover the standard :redface: which means I'd have to use my gap year money.
Now that it's a question of my money and not my parents, en-suite doesn't seem so important anymore :tongue:

Apparently mews get a sort of lounge thing in each flat whereas rowancroft don't so thats a bonus. I don't mind living in a ski chalet anyway
Reply 1535
I went for mews also, The bigger Kitchens and Common areas and the £30 a week are more important that a shower to me.
Apparently mews get a sort of lounge thing in each flat whereas rowancroft don't so thats a bonus. I don't mind living in a ski chalet anyway

It's also been likened to a Swedish sauna :tongue:

Original post by OSharp
I went for mews also, The bigger Kitchens and Common areas and the £30 a week are more important that a shower to me.

..And toilet! - this was what made me take weeks to decide if en-suite was worth it or not, having never sat on a toilet seat in my life before (apart from the one in my house), it was a pretty serious decision to make lol (minor OCD issues)
Reply 1537
It's also been likened to a Swedish sauna :tongue:

)

What do you think the accomodation guys would say if we filled a metal dustbin with hot BBQ coals and poured water over them.
Original post by OSharp
What do you think the accomodation guys would say if we filled a metal dustbin with hot BBQ coals and poured water over them.

"Can we join you?"
The fact somebody cleans the bathroom twice a week so we don't have to makes things so much better, i'm more worried about grinding my face off on the exposed brickwork in the rooms than anything else.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending