The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6580
Can someone confirm that this is right? If your parents earn over £42,600, there is no point getting them to fill in their financial details as you are ineligible for a grant, so should just go for the non means tested option? Cheers.
Hi all

I think i have filled the online form in correctly but it says in the loans section that i am only entitled to £3465 instead of £9000 for tuition fees. Why is this the case? Has this happen to anyone else and any advice. BTW does the household income have an effect on the tuition fee entitlement?
Cheers.
Reply 6582
Original post by DN and FMA fan
Hi all

I think i have filled the online form in correctly but it says in the loans section that i am only entitled to £3465 instead of £9000 for tuition fees. Why is this the case? Has this happen to anyone else and any advice. BTW does the household income have an effect on the tuition fee entitlement?
Cheers.

£3465 is the max tuition fee for returning students. Household income only affects maintenance loans/grant, as far as I'm aware. You might want to consider phoning them up to sort out the problem.
Original post by Pellin
Can someone confirm that this is right? If your parents earn over £42,600, there is no point getting them to fill in their financial details as you are ineligible for a grant, so should just go for the non means tested option? Cheers.

I think you can get a slightly higher loan depending on how much over £42,600 your parents earn. Use the student finance calculator here to get an estimate.
Just wondering is it possible to pay the first year fees by myself and then apply for student loan when Im in second year?
Original post by DavidR399
Just wondering is it possible to pay the first year fees by myself and then apply for student loan when Im in second year?

I believe it's absolutely possible, you apply for each year anyway.
Original post by slt2015
I receive the basic student finance amount and I looked at re-applying for next year and it told me that a letter would be sent out and all I would need to do is sign it. However it also said the letter would be sent out at the end of Feb at the latest but I haven't received one. I was just wondering whether other people had received theirs?

I'm a returning student as well and haven't received my form yet as well. I tried to download it from the website as I did the last 2 years, but couldn't find the form for next year. So I guess I'd have to wait longer...
I don't understand the student finance calculator form on student finance wales... it says

Please estimate the total taxable unearned income, before deductions, that you expect to receive in the academic year 1/9/2012 to 31/8/2013

But then it says

Include all income from scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, bursaries, awards, grants, allowances; and all other payments for attending your course during the academic year.

Well that's exacty what I'm trying to figure out by using the calculator - what grants and allowances will I be entitled to! :lolwut: what should I put in this box?
Reply 6588
Original post by confused dot com
I think you can get a slightly higher loan depending on how much over £42,600 your parents earn. Use the student finance calculator here to get an estimate.

Ahh, thanks a lot, just had a look and found out I'm not eligible for anything extra :frown:

Had to ring up Student Finance to sort out my form, as I went for the income assessed option. The woman was really helpful and she deleted my form so I can start again fresh. :smile:
Reply 6589
I started doing my student finance and my dad helped me with it, but he has no idea what on earth to do.. I got an email off UCAS saying what I needed to do next was to 'Apply and submit your application. Send us all the evidence we ask for.' and to be honest, I am completely lost and confused? My dad seems to think that UCAS will send him an email, I've tried telling him that it doesn't, but he's still sure about it. What application is it talking about? I put in the course I was going to do ect. And then the evidence is just like a birth certificate right?? ;A;
Original post by Gemini92
£3465 is the max tuition fee for returning students. Household income only affects maintenance loans/grant, as far as I'm aware. You might want to consider phoning them up to sort out the problem.

Thanks for the advice. However i am not a returning student so i am applying for first year student finance for 2012/3. Ill phone them anyway but from some people i heard that £3465 is max tuiton fees and the rest will be a student loan like the maintenance loan...a bit confused. Why can't they make it clear on their website.
Had anybody else been asked to send off their original passport to student finance?? Does this mean I have to send of my actual passport and not a copy?
Original post by DN and FMA fan
Hi all

Cheers.

You may have said that you are a returning student by accident ...
Reply 6593
Original post by Rachael36
Had anybody else been asked to send off their original passport to student finance?? Does this mean I have to send of my actual passport and not a copy?

Yes, they do often ask for you to send in your original passport.
I take it this is a global error because several of my friends seem to be having the same problem but every time I try to see my applications status it says:
Error: "Unfortunately there has been a problem with your application, please use the 'Continue' button to return to your previous page to check the data that you have entered and try again. If this problem persists then please log out and try again later."
Reply 6595
Just trying to apply for student finance..
and my internet keeps turning off..
so i was applying and half way through a section my internet stopped.
but when i logged back in, it said ive completed that section and cant change it,,
i was at the bit where your supposed to put a estimate from the student finance calculator on it..

what do i do????
Original post by Silver2
Just trying to apply for student finance..
and my internet keeps turning off..
so i was applying and half way through a section my internet stopped.
but when i logged back in, it said ive completed that section and cant change it,,
i was at the bit where your supposed to put a estimate from the student finance calculator on it..

what do i do????

Phone them up, with some luck you will happen to speak to understanding person who know what to do. Just explain it the problem and ask if you can reapply. Actually, in your case it will be an application for the first time.
Original post by Rachael36

If you have a current UK passport, it's likely that they won't need the actual passport. Enter your passport details online and they can check via their direct link with passport office.
Reply 6598
I am very confused atm. Finished EU form for loan 2 weeks ago and they received it. Form said that I need to enclose only a photocopy of a passport as an evidence. Right now website says that I need to send them an original document. (Thats quite controversial, because its against laws in my country to send a passport, but I'll get myself an ID card, so thats sorted out.) Is there again any form to be completed before sending in evidence? Should it be signed by lawyer or other official person? O_O

Also in website there is mentioned that I need National Insurance number. Should me, who have never lived in UK, get myself a NI? And how?

And do I need a bank account if I only applied for tuition loan?

Thank you in advance ^^
Original post by Reiiya
I am very confused atm. Finished EU form for loan 2 weeks ago and they received it. Form said that I need to enclose only a photocopy of a passport as an evidence. Right now website says that I need to send them an original document. (Thats quite controversial, because its against laws in my country to send a passport, but I'll get myself an ID card, so thats sorted out.) Is there again any form to be completed before sending in evidence? Should it be signed by lawyer or other official person? O_O

Also in website there is mentioned that I need National Insurance number. Should me, who have never lived in UK, get myself a NI? And how?

And do I need a bank account if I only applied for tuition loan?

Thank you in advance ^^

A certified copy should be ok. But by certified I mean a sworn translatior, lawyer etc. It was fine when I first sent mine, they never asked me for the original. The NIN is what you need IN the UK if you want to work. You don't need it now.
I believe you don't need bank account if you only apply for the tuition fee loan. However, in case there's some bursary available, Student Loan Company will need your bank details (I believe UK bank details) in order to know where to send you the money. So my advice is - open an account asap and ring them up to let them know the details.
Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest