The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So I've not been running/jogging/exercising in general as much lately because I'm in that slump now where I've got loads to do and when I have free time I just don't have the motivation. Got some personal stuff going on. However, my chest pains are back so I think I need to go for some walks/jogs again.

Anyone know what kinds of places would be good for jogs? I have a little road by mine I jog down which is about a 10 minute walk. It's nice and quiet too. However, it seems that whenever I go out I get all the idiots who feel the need to shout abuse and such. I'm thinking it's more because of my appearance - I've checked to see if the jogging I'm doing is right, and it is. Therefore, I'd like to go jogging somewhere quieter. Are fields good places for jogging, for instance?

Another question is...besides jogging of course, how can I improve my jogging? For instance, would stuff like using the exercise bike at home help?

Thanks for any advice you can give :smile:
Ran 5k tonight in 22:20- my first 5k in ages. Looking forward to the summer when I can focus more on that sort of distance and maybe enter a couple of races.
Original post by alexlduffy
So I've not been running/jogging/exercising in general as much lately because I'm in that slump now where I've got loads to do and when I have free time I just don't have the motivation. Got some personal stuff going on. However, my chest pains are back so I think I need to go for some walks/jogs again.

Anyone know what kinds of places would be good for jogs? I have a little road by mine I jog down which is about a 10 minute walk. It's nice and quiet too. However, it seems that whenever I go out I get all the idiots who feel the need to shout abuse and such. I'm thinking it's more because of my appearance - I've checked to see if the jogging I'm doing is right, and it is. Therefore, I'd like to go jogging somewhere quieter. Are fields good places for jogging, for instance?

Another question is...besides jogging of course, how can I improve my jogging? For instance, would stuff like using the exercise bike at home help?

Thanks for any advice you can give :smile:

It sounds a bit silly but it depends on what the grass in the field is like. I've tried running in fields a fair few times but can't really get into it because of the uneven ground and long grass; you have to constantly watch where you're going. If you can find somewhere with shorter grass though, fields probably would be fine. Are there any parks close to where you live? If there's a quiet park, that would be ideal. The other option is to go jogging at a quieter time; early morning's can be quite good as at least where I live, the roads are quiet before 8 and those that are up and about tend to be older and less likely to pass comments anyway.

I'm not too sure about the second question, sorry.
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
It sounds a bit silly but it depends on what the grass in the field is like. I've tried running in fields a fair few times but can't really get into it because of the uneven ground and long grass; you have to constantly watch where you're going. If you can find somewhere with shorter grass though, fields probably would be fine. Are there any parks close to where you live? If there's a quiet park, that would be ideal. The other option is to go jogging at a quieter time; early morning's can be quite good as at least where I live, the roads are quiet before 8 and those that are up and about tend to be older and less likely to pass comments anyway.

I'm not too sure about the second question, sorry.

I've got quite a few parks near mine, but I can't vouch for what the grass is like. The park just outside my house might be suitable enough, or maybe the one just down the road because it's usually empty and it's massive. I'd prefer to use one where there's less people because another problem with my road is that it's very narrow so I have to end up stopping or slowing down to let people and cars past.

Thanks for the answer! :smile:
Original post by Alex Bampton
Well done to parkrunners in any southern Parkruns this morning the weather was absolutely shocking!

I didn't get my hat-trick, finished 2nd behind a non-local club runner. Hope to get well into low 16s by the end of the year.

Track session for first time in ages since my injury back in Nov, but looking forward to it :-) anyone had any track meets yet?

Yup. First outdoor race was Wednesday, managed a 9:18 3000m at an open meeting, running alone from about 400-500m in. At the equivalent meet two years ago, it was also my first race of the season and I ran 9:27 in a pack all the way. I went on to run 8:53 a month and a half later :awesome:

Doing my usual habit of trying to focus on the longer races while I'm still fit, dropping down to 800/1500m when I get lazy with the mileage in midsummer. Will have to be slightly more disciplined with the social life after exams this year though, as I can't see myself going to any Watford opens before the end of my finals. I think I have an 8:40-45 3000m in me. Certainly have a 15:40 5000m. Just need to procure them at a meeting somewhere!
Did 19:18 today at Gunnersbury Parkrun. Two consistent runs; little in the way of improvements, though. :erm:
Original post by rockrunride
Yup. First outdoor race was Wednesday, managed a 9:18 3000m at an open meeting, running alone from about 400-500m in. At the equivalent meet two years ago, it was also my first race of the season and I ran 9:27 in a pack all the way. I went on to run 8:53 a month and a half later :awesome:

Doing my usual habit of trying to focus on the longer races while I'm still fit, dropping down to 800/1500m when I get lazy with the mileage in midsummer. Will have to be slightly more disciplined with the social life after exams this year though, as I can't see myself going to any Watford opens before the end of my finals. I think I have an 8:40-45 3000m in me. Certainly have a 15:40 5000m. Just need to procure them at a meeting somewhere!

A very good opener nice one. I shall also be hoping to get down to Watford this year though am an 800m runner, not sure where you live but Cheltenham run some good open meets through July.

First year as an u20 for me so I guess I will find it hard to break through, less emphasis on competition more on times this year.
A very good opener nice one. I shall also be hoping to get down to Watford this year though am an 800m runner, not sure where you live but Cheltenham run some good open meets through July.

First year as an u20 for me so I guess I will find it hard to break through, less emphasis on competition more on times this year.

U20 is probably the smallest age group in terms of numbers of athletes but the people that do run are pretty good. I found myself picking medal after medal up at county level simply because there was no-one else there, but found it very hard at regional/national level. Times were likewise my only way of comparing my performance with previous years.

I've always loved the 800m for the thrills and usually do it week after week in July/August, but it's by no means my best event. So nerve-racking going for an 800 pb, I used to get ridiculously nervous before midsummer Watford meets. Track in general is so much more mentally draining than road/XC because it's quicker, anaerobic and you know you have to be more than physically fit to do well.

If you're an 800m runner and can run a low 16 5k, I'm willing to guess you're around the 1:55-56 mark?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Personally, i'd say 24 mins for a girl and 21 for a guy would constitute 'good' times. Roughly. The parkrun results are all public though - just take a look at what the average standards are like for yourself.

Oh I didn't know they pulish the result publicly. Thanks for letting me know. At least it puts my mind at ease that I won't be at the back of the pack
27k run followed by 9k walk (necessary, my personal finish line was at the top of a local hill). Don't know what time I got but I feel like I turned a corner. This run has defeated me a few times because the total climb is a lot and parts are quite steep (fell runners around here, as well as off-road drivers) but after the really agonising bit I felt really good. No water, no gels, just grabbed a drink as I passed a shop. Suffering now but that's to be expected.

Out of interest how fast are you running 800m at the moment?

I was worried about u20 but it's not too bad, the racing is a lot more clean than u17 although you do get boxed in more if you're not careful :frown:
Original post by rockrunride
U20 is probably the smallest age group in terms of numbers of athletes but the people that do run are pretty good. I found myself picking medal after medal up at county level simply because there was no-one else there, but found it very hard at regional/national level. Times were likewise my only way of comparing my performance with previous years.

I've always loved the 800m for the thrills and usually do it week after week in July/August, but it's by no means my best event. So nerve-racking going for an 800 pb, I used to get ridiculously nervous before midsummer Watford meets. Track in general is so much more mentally draining than road/XC because it's quicker, anaerobic and you know you have to be more than physically fit to do well.

If you're an 800m runner and can run a low 16 5k, I'm willing to guess you're around the 1:55-56 mark?

That's true, county events are always poorly represented and my county isn't amazingly strong I only came up against real competiton at regional level.

Oh goodness no not that quick! - I think I gave off the wrong impression I aim to run low 16s by the end of the season I've only ran just over 17 on a multi-terrain course at the moment. My 800 times are again a bit distorted officially as an U17 I have only ran 2.03 but this was on my own and I injured my back before planned Watford meets where I was aiming for around 2.00-2.01.

This year I am going to just try and grab a sub 2 and see how low I can go, no targets I have had no xc season because of ITBS so having to approach the season in a different way.
Reply 4372
I'm in that range as well and face the same problems.

In Germany though.

Although there are some extremely strong U20 people in my county/region they usually don't bother turning up for those championchips. I only get to meet them at independent meets or perhaps at federal state championchips.
I've got one guy born 93 with a 1500 PB of 3:53 and another born 92 with an 800 PB of 1:53 in my "county" and another two guys with 1500 PBs under 4:00, one of them with an 800 PB of 1:52 in my region.
Confusingly enough we all start for different clubs and have different coaches (or coach ourselves like I do)

As I myself can only find the time to train two to three times a week whilst they are in schools that actually support athletes and can train up to 7 times a week I guess I should be satisfied with my times. 1000m in 2:37 last summer and aiming to go beneath 2 over 800 this year, as well as finally getting an official time over 1500.
I know that as a kid I was on the same level as those guys, even though I am born in November and therewith was one of the youngest and smallest in my age group.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by PorQpine
I'm in that range as well and face the same problems.

In Germany though.

Although there are some extremely strong U20 people in my county/region they usually don't bother turning up for those championchips. I only get to meet them at independent meets or perhaps at federal state championchips.
I've got one guy born 93 with a 1500 PB of 3:53 and another born 92 with an 800 PB of 1:53 in my "county" and another two guys with 1500 PBs under 4:00, one of them with an 800 PB of 1:52 in my region.
Confusingly enough we all start for different clubs and have different coaches (or coach ourselves like I do)

As I myself can only find the time to train two to three times a week whilst they are in schools that actually support athletes and can train up to 7 times a week I guess I should be satisfied with my times. 1000m in 2:37 last summer and aiming to go beneath 2 over 800 this year, as well as finally getting an official time over 1500.
I know that as a kid I was on the same level as those guys, even though I am born in November and therewith was one of the youngest and smallest in my age group.

Yehh the country championships are always misleading the really good people don't show for some reason, but I guess you can only beat who's there :smile:

I train twice properly and sometimes do a 20min run at the weekends and manage sub 2mins for u20 last year so you should be fine :smile:
Half marathon training has started. Someone reminded me last week that I only have 9-10 weeks left now.
Is anyone doing london marathon in the next few days?
That's true, county events are always poorly represented and my county isn't amazingly strong I only came up against real competiton at regional level.

Oh goodness no not that quick! - I think I gave off the wrong impression I aim to run low 16s by the end of the season I've only ran just over 17 on a multi-terrain course at the moment. My 800 times are again a bit distorted officially as an U17 I have only ran 2.03 but this was on my own and I injured my back before planned Watford meets where I was aiming for around 2.00-2.01.

This year I am going to just try and grab a sub 2 and see how low I can go, no targets I have had no xc season because of ITBS so having to approach the season in a different way.

Same for the 800m :five: I've done 2:00.82, hoping to dip under the elusive barrier this year. It won't be a priority until the end of May though, not by a long way. I'll probably do my first 800m just after exams at a southern league meet, and then go for a 3000m pb two weeks after at Watford. Moving away from London at the end of June though, which I hope isn't too devastating for my 800m/1500m progress.

I desperately need an opening 5000m on the track before the BUCS championships, as I'm doing the 5000m there and am equally desperate for a pb at the Olympic Stadium! How cool would that look on Power of 10!
Had a really good run today. Sunburnt but happy! :smile:
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
Had a really good run today. Sunburnt but happy! :smile:

Sunburnt?! It's like winter here. No running for me :colondollar:
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Sunburnt?! It's like winter here. No running for me :colondollar:

Haha :smile: Yeah, it's nice here today. Still fairly cold but dry and sunny. I do burn quite easily anyway though.

Latest