The Student Room Group

Request blood test results + Refusal = Serious?

I went to my GP a couple of weeks ago and had a blood test done. Today I phoned up and asked whether the results are back and whether I could pick them up. They said they were back but refused to let me pick them up because the doctor wanted to "talk to me about them". This seemingly harmless phrase has filled me with dread and terror. The only reason I can think why they would do this is because it's shown something serious. What do you think.
Reply 1
I think you should reserve judgement until you visit your doctor so he can talk to you about them.
i agree with Keckers, it could well be nothing more than them going through policy?
Reply 3
Original post by Keckers
I think you should reserve judgement until you visit your doctor so he can talk to you about them.

Except that if it's something bad, I don't wanna know.
Reply 4
I got the same last week, and all it was it that they wanted to explain the results to me :smile: There's nothing seriously wrong with me. So don't stress.
Reply 5
Original post by JJx
I got the same last week, and all it was it that they wanted to explain the results to me :smile: There's nothing seriously wrong with me. So don't stress.

Really? I really hope that's the case.

Thanks for sharing, you've probably just halved my heart rate. :smile:
Reply 6
My doctors did this to me too. Do you know what was wrong with me? A lack of vitamin D :unimpressed: I was panicing all day thinking the test showed that I was anaemic or something. All they did when I got there was tell me that I don't have enough vitamin D (which isn't that surprising because the area I live in gets little sunlight anyway) and give me a information sheet that they'd printed off the BBC website which I could have looked up myself.
Reply 7
It's just routine; what would you do with them after all if they just handed them to you? Blood tests don't come back with a diagnosis or tell you what's normal or not-it's up to your doctor to look at them and work that out. They'd most likely ask you to make an appointment even if they all came back normal.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily Jane
My doctors did this to me too. Do you know what was wrong with me? A lack of vitamin D :unimpressed: I was panicing all day thinking the test showed that I was anaemic or something. All they did when I got there was tell me that I don't have enough vitamin D (which isn't that surprising because the area I live in gets little sunlight anyway) and give me a information sheet that they'd printed off the BBC website which I could have looked up myself.

Turns out that's exactly what I have too :redface:

Mine is apparently "severe": 16 nml/litre (anything below 50 nml/litre is considered deficient), you you happen to know what yours was?

Wish they didn't do that, scared the life outta me. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by heidigirl
It's just routine; what would you do with them after all if they just handed them to you? Blood tests don't come back with a diagnosis or tell you what's normal or not-it's up to your doctor to look at them and work that out. They'd most likely ask you to make an appointment even if they all came back normal.

I'd have looked at this.

Anyway doctor called me back and told me I just have a severe vit D deficiency. So I **** myself for nothing. :redface:
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Turns out that's exactly what I have too :redface:

Mine is apparently "severe": 16 nml/litre (anything below 50 nml/litre is considered deficient), you you happen to know what yours was?

Wish they didn't do that, scared the life outta me. :rolleyes:

According to my mum I was around 15 nml/litre (although I thought it was higher than this but apparantly not). My doctor said that it wasn't that bad though and while it was a cause for concern, it wasn't the worst she'd ever seen :confused: So now I'm on these tesco daily vitamin D tablets and some prescription ones that I take every fortnight :rolleyes:
Although this issue seems to be resolved, my old doctors back at home (I live at uni now) used to have a policy where you had to come in even if there wasn't anything wrong. Logic was that they didn't want to give bad news over the phone, especially if they had to discuss treatment options etc. But then you knew that if you were called in that it was going to be bad news or they'd have told you that you were fine over the phone, so you just always had to come in. I think it's not a bad system, unless you live really far away from the doctors.
If it's something severe, they'll call you on the day they get them and force you to come in.
They don't give results out over the phone because they're uncertain who is on the other end. What's to stop me from phoning up, putting on a fake voice, and getting your results?

It's probably all clear, but it could be any deal of minor problems, like dehydration (me) , slightly anaemic (alot of girls in puberty), low levels of certain vitamins etc.

Quick Reply

Latest