The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronnalee
Ha, glad it wasn't just me then.

I missed my interview unfortunately - took a train an hour later than I should, but I'll blame that on Bristol rescheduling my interview for the previous day and having to rebook my tickets & getting back home really late.

On the other hand I got into my first choice, UWE, the interview went swimmingly and they really loved me. So very happy about that.

Coventry didn't want me but what pains me is that I trekked there just to have them tell me they're not gonna take me the moment I'm in the room. What's the point of going for an interview if you're not gonna have the interview?

Now here's the fun part:

I asked for feedback out of curiosity, and the lecturer questioned my presentation choice (matte prints in a portfolio box), my use of diptychs, and also seemed to think that in one set the light is 'too warm' and asked why that is so (the images were shot during the golden hour right before sunset). I admit I'm always afraid of over-editing, but overall his decision seemed to be based on personal taste - of course you can't go onto a Photography degree with zero photography interest or knowledge, but if that's my weakness surely uni would be the place to learn? Lastly, he didn't think I had enough research for my images - my research is thorough, but I only brought one sketchbook with me as a sample - plus some of the sets for my portfolio are from personal rather than college work, so I didn't have research for every single set in there.

This is one of the images in question ('too warm') by the way:

I admit to being a little bit butthurt, but at least he quietened down when I told him I got into my top two choices already, one of them being Commercial Photography in Bournemouth. Can't please everyone, haha.

I had the same thing with Derby - called me for interview despite me putting in my PS that I was a Wildlife Photographer ...... said straight away I wasnt getting a place but my work was really good . Seems really strange tbh . Why call someone to interview who doesn't fit the course? , Same with Bournemouth but I cancelled that one because I didn't want to go down there just to get a no again.

Anyway I got into Falmouth with an Unconditional so it doesnt bother me much now .

Good Luck

Marcus
Original post by twinlensreflex
Congrats on getting into UWE :biggrin:

I think he was being a bit harsh; especially to call you to interview and then go 'actually, no.'. Waste of time really. :L I love shooting in that 'golden hour' (I might have to steal that phrase now!), especially with plastic cameras that bit before sunset is perfect in the summer. I always prefer warm images though, but I think the warmth suits that one fine (it'd look pretty jarring if it was colder imo).

Bit harsh on your presentation too O.o I take my stuff around in a suitcase, with matte prints mounted onto cream-ish card. Did you have your stuff organised by project/chronologically? Silly man is all I can say. :tongue:

If everyone presented the same it would be boring..... It's down to you how you feel your work looks best presented. I have a standard black portfolio bag with 15 prints in + 2 photobooks , sample written work and some newspaper cutouts from where i've had work printed. I can't see how a uni can moan about how you present when it's a personal choice. I didn't take any research books to my interviews because I would rather let them focus on my actual photos + none of them strictly asked for them which I found odd.
Anyone applied for Photography/Photojournalism at LCC?
Reply 483
Hello!

I'm an international student and I've gotten conditional offers (I'm doing the IB) from UCA and University of the West London for BA Photography and I got into LCC for the foundation in art and design. I'm still a little confused as to where to go and wether I should do the foundation or go for the BA directly. and I'm still waiting for University College Falmouth to get back to me. :smile:
Reply 484
Original post by blank-slate

Hey, I'm going for Photojournalism at LCC. Are you accepting your offer?
Reply 485

hey,

yep i did, but decided to do a foundation first at LCC so im starting fdn photography course on the 3rd of september. U ? :smile:
Reply 486
Original post by hansi2294
Hello!

I'm an international student and I've gotten conditional offers (I'm doing the IB) from UCA and University of the West London for BA Photography and I got into LCC for the foundation in art and design. I'm still a little confused as to where to go and wether I should do the foundation or go for the BA directly. and I'm still waiting for University College Falmouth to get back to me. :smile:

hey

im doing a foundation at LCC-photography:smile: starting in september.
Reply 487
Original post by alex_11
hey

im doing a foundation at LCC-photography:smile: starting in september.

Hey! I'm most likely going to end up there as well :smile: where are you from?
Reply 488
Awesome:smile:
im from Poland, you?
lived in London for some time then went back to Poland and now moving again, for good:smile:
Hey, I got into ECA too :biggrin: I'm pretty biased towards ECA, so I'd suggest that. Have you visited either? Given that they're both dedicated art colleges I think they'd be pretty similar in terms of creativity. In terms of location I'm leaning towards ECA (fantastic views). I'm visiting ECA on Friday so I could let you know what I think after I've looked about? GSA would make a pretty decent insurance choice at any rate. :cool:

Hi there,
have you visited ECA?
How it was??
Original post by words are missing
Hi there,
have you visited ECA?
How it was??

Yes, although I wasn't able to look at the darkrooms. The building is lovely & the photography department looks pretty big. The campus is really small, all the buildings are linked by a courtyard & their library is just down the road. The course is small too... Have you applied for 1st or 2nd year?

I just firmed ECA :biggrin: with Brighton as my insurance.
Still hasn't come through, but they seemed pretty dead set on offering me a place. Everywhere else has taken at least two weeks, so I'll wait another week before I get anxious :wink: Hope yours comes through soon too :biggrin:

When did you hear back from Brighton? I emailed them this morning and I got reply basically telling me that they've had loads of applicants and they haven't got round to replying to them all yet. It's frustrating cause it's holding me back now as I can't reply to my offers and go on to apply for finance and accommodation etc! I'd withdraw my application but if they do give me an offer I wouldn't mind putting them as my insurance. Argh!
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, although I wasn't able to look at the darkrooms. The building is lovely & the photography department looks pretty big. The campus is really small, all the buildings are linked by a courtyard & their library is just down the road. The course is small too... Have you applied for 1st or 2nd year?

I just firmed ECA :biggrin: with Brighton as my insurance.

Yes, it looks very good. I was there. They have good darkrooms and digital room but very poor studio. Library is amazing as well. I thougt that you ask more about theoretical things.
I applied for 2nd but I haven't finished my foundation so probably I'll be on 1st.
Reply 493

yeah got an interview and offer back in february, so excited! firmed and applied to housing!xx
Reply 494
Original post by alex_11
Awesome:smile:
im from Poland, you?
lived in London for some time then went back to Poland and now moving again, for good:smile:

ooh cool :smile: I'm from Indonesia, of Indian origin though and currently living in China :smile:
Hi!
Ive got a conditional offer (pass the spanish bachillerato with a 6 and an IELTS of 6 or more) at the Rochester campus of UCA in contemporary photography!
Im english but i moved to spain when i was 8, and even though im a native english speaker they are making me do the IELTS exam! I dont mind doing the actual exam, bit its the money! It costs about 150 pounds! So yeah, Im a bit annoyed about that but I can't wait to go to UCA!!!
Reply 496
Original post by ItsIzzzy
yeah got an interview and offer back in february, so excited! firmed and applied to housing!xx

yooo me too, add me on Facebook :smile: www.facebook.com/bethepoo
Reply 497
Hello!
I'm an international student and got an offer for Fine Art Photography at GSA for second year. Is anybody going to second year as well? I really loved GSA when I visited, and Glasgow as a city was amazing!
Original post by cgrape
Hello!
I'm an international student and got an offer for Fine Art Photography at GSA for second year. Is anybody going to second year as well? I really loved GSA when I visited, and Glasgow as a city was amazing!

I got an offer for a first year but I want to ask: have you been on photography dep? have you seen the darkroom, studio etc? I haven't seen it at all, I was just on a interview and I am so courious. I have to go there again ad see it! Glasgow is stunning defenitely!
Original post by procrastination...
When did you hear back from Brighton? I emailed them this morning and I got reply basically telling me that they've had loads of applicants and they haven't got round to replying to them all yet. It's frustrating cause it's holding me back now as I can't reply to my offers and go on to apply for finance and accommodation etc! I'd withdraw my application but if they do give me an offer I wouldn't mind putting them as my insurance. Argh!

Last Wednesday, waaaay slower than they implied. I'm using them as insurance too :L Have you heard anything yet?

Quick Reply

Latest