The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Thu 26 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by Raj K
really? i hate RPA! let me guess..you got an A/A* !! how did you do it? :/ lol

Yeah, I guess it's because I'm interested in chemical engineering lol. I got an A. Erm made sure I knew the content really well and did as many practice questions and past papers as possible. I admit though, a few of the questions in january did throw me off still, hence didn't get an A* -.-
How did you do?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Raj K
thankyouuuu that's what i wanted to know lol rings polymers analysis ..no one knows how much i completely hate that exam - it's horrible don't like it at all. Have you done F325? because some people did that module in Jan..what did you get and any tips lol..did you mainly use the main OCR textbook?? thanksssss!

Lol, I hate RPA so so so much! I just can't stand it..I find it boring tbh, I enjoy F325 that's why I think I did well in it. I got 137/150 :smile:

1) Go over all content thoroughly in OCR textbook/CGP revision guide
2) Then do the practice questions and examination questions in the textbook (though the exam qs in the textbook don't help as much because they're quite easy and there are qs from 2004 etc, so they're much easier than the challenging qs we get now, so you can't rely on only those exam qs)
3) I also did some practice papers from Jan 2008/June 2008/2009/2010, that my teacher gave me, I think they're from the OCR salters, not sure, I'll try and find them.
4) Then keep doing as many sheets/practice qs your teacher gives you
5) Then do the exam papers - what I did was sometimes when I had gone over a topic, say 5.1 then I would do all the 5.1 qs in the exam papers. By the time I did the papers in exam conditions i.e. in timed conditions, I would have not necessarily remembered the answer but I could tackle the question.
6) Once you can tackle the OCR A exam papers then do the stretch and challenge questions - they're very helpful :smile: You can find them on the CD you get with your textbook.

So basically once content done + you've genuinely understood the concepts etc then practice practice practice to improve exam technique. For instance if it's 2 marks, only write 2 sentences, look at the mark scheme! and you could write some model answers how they want you to answer it. For example, I used to write so much for the buffer system qs but when you look at the marks scheme, they've only got 3 bullet points each - very short sentences for an increase in Hydrogen concentration/or an increase in OH concentration. Definitely try to tackle harder qs because they're including more and more stretch and challenge qs. Also, they've extended the time limit to 2hrs which is much better for this paper.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 1462
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Lol, I hate RPA so so so much! I just can't stand it..I find it boring tbh, I enjoy F325 that's why I think I did well in it. I got 137/150 :smile:

1) Go over all content thoroughly in OCR textbook/CGP revision guide
2) Then do the practice questions and examination questions in the textbook (though the exam qs in the textbook don't help as much because they're quite easy and there are qs from 2004 etc, so they're much easier than the challenging qs we get now, so you can't rely on only those exam qs)
3) I also did some practice papers from Jan 2008/June 2008/2009/2010, that my teacher gave me, I think they're from the OCR salters, not sure, I'll try and find them.
4) Then keep doing as many sheets/practice qs your teacher gives you
5) Then do the exam papers - what I did was sometimes when I had gone over a topic, say 5.1 then I would do all the 5.1 qs in the exam papers. By the time I did the papers in exam conditions i.e. in timed conditions, I would have not necessarily remembered the answer but I could tackle the question.
6) Once you can tackle the OCR A exam papers then do the stretch and challenge questions - they're very helpful :smile: You can find them on the CD you get with your textbook.

So basically once content done + you've genuinely understood the concepts etc then practice practice practice to improve exam technique. For instance if it's 2 marks, only write 2 sentences, look at the mark scheme! and you could write some model answers how they want you to answer it. For example, I used to write so much for the buffer system qs but when you look at the marks scheme, they've only got 3 bullet points each - very short sentences for an increase in Hydrogen concentration/or an increase in OH concentration. Definitely try to tackle harder qs because they're including more and more stretch and challenge qs. Also, they've extended the time limit to 2hrs which is much better for this paper.

I hope this helps :smile:

THANKS! :biggrin: you're the BEST!!!
Reply 1463
has anyone got notes on the last module of this exam, ''resources''? if anyone can send me their notes? please...
Question for people who have done it/are good at it:
Can I call the delocalised system- a delocalised system?( will I lose marks?) or do I have to call it a delocalised system of pie electrons or pie cloud of electrons? Wth- the book calls it a different thing on every page and ocr page is down so I cant check markschemes.
Original post by Yasin-Ali
Can I call the delocalised system- a delocalised system?( will I lose marks?) or do I have to call it a delocalised system of pie electrons or pie cloud of electrons? Wth- the book calls it a different thing on every page and ocr page is down so I cant check markschemes.

I call it - the delocalised ring of electrons.
Reply 1466
Original post by Yasin-Ali

you should really mention the electrons and differentiate them from other electrons by calling them pie electrons so yes you should really call them a delocalised ring of pie electrons. Plus it's not that much extra to learn is it but could get you that extra mark
Reply 1467
I done the f325 in january, and i aced it got 150/150 uniform marks.
I found the paper easy as the questions were like the past papers from the previews spec.
If you want to do really good i recommend do all the past papers from the old spec
2002 up to 2012.
The old spec is split into 3 sections which may take a long time to complete but its worth it. Some questions u wont need to answer. Gd luck people
Original post by Abdul100
I found the paper easy as the questions were like the past papers from the previews spec.
If you want to do really good i recommend do all the past papers from the old spec
2002 up to 2012.
The old spec is split into 3 sections which may take a long time to complete but its worth it. Some questions u wont need to answer. Gd luck people

That's amazing well done! Could you link me or guide me to the papers from 2002 please?
Original post by Abdul100
2002 up to 2012.

Could you give us a link please Abdul?
does anyone know the UMS/ raw boundaries this year for the A2 practicals? I'm on 39/40 at the moment and want to know if this is enough for 60/60 UMS :smile:
Reply 1471
Original post by hockeyjoe
does anyone know the UMS/ raw boundaries this year for the A2 practicals? I'm on 39/40 at the moment and want to know if this is enough for 60/60 UMS :smile:

This year's one isn't out to the public until august. I got 39/40 too (might go up if the moderators are nice... *fingers crossed*. could do another but my teacher doesn't see the point -.-). From previous results it has been A* - 37 raw - 54 ums and A - 34 raw - 48 ums. 1 raw = 2 ums so 39 is probably 58 ums - which is still brill :smile:
Reply 1472
guys i have a chemistry A2 qualitative coursework coming up ..it's on transition metals ..on how to make a complex ion..can anyone please summarise what i have to learn if anyone has done this ..pleaseeee??? i hate coursework!!!!
Original post by hockeyjoe

Original post by Cath-ay
This year's one isn't out to the public until august. I got 39/40 too (might go up if the moderators are nice... *fingers crossed*. could do another but my teacher doesn't see the point -.-). From previous results it has been A* - 37 raw - 54 ums and A - 34 raw - 48 ums. 1 raw = 2 ums so 39 is probably 58 ums - which is still brill :smile:

Last year, an A was 35 raw, and extrapolating up using OCR's typical method, A* was 39 raw. This seemed odd to me, we'll just have to wait to see!
Original post by Oromis263
Last year, an A was 35 raw, and extrapolating up using OCR's typical method, A* was 39 raw. This seemed odd to me, we'll just have to wait to see!

37 was an A* last year.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_60650_admin_units_at_a2_june_11.pdf

hi how are you :biggrin: can we test each other for 20 min to revise :cool:

You see, it helps to find the A* boundary part :wink: I purely extrapolated from previous relations in raw mark:ums ratios. Thank you! :smile:
You see, it helps to find the A* boundary part :wink: I purely extrapolated from previous relations in raw mark:ums ratios. Thank you! :smile:

hi can we ask each other questions :wink:
Original post by otrivine
hi can we ask each other questions :wink:

Sure, go for it. :smile:
Sure, go for it. :smile:

i start and then you give me ok :wink:

what is it called when a mixture is both polarized in light? (1)

Quick Reply