The Student Room Group

The 'I have got on to a PGCE Course 2012-2013' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimcus
Congratulations! Are you Upper or Lower Primary? Will see you there in September! :smile:

I said lower in the interview, but now im wondering if its possible to change to upper cos i think now i would prefer that. But when she did the course presentation she did say it doesnt matter because you can teach either age with whichever age group you go for. But when i go in for my documentation days i'm going to see if i can find out then. Which one are you doing? Yeah will see you there then :biggrin:
I had my interview for PGCE Secondary French at Leicester yesterday, and I got in! :smile:

They said they'd happily give me an Unconditional offer for French, but that they would prefer to give me a Conditional for French with Spanish so I can get funding for an Subject Knowledge Enhancement course in Spanish. Apparently most MFL jobs advertised at the moment want people who can teach Spanish, so my employment prospects will be better if I do that.

I'm impressed that they're already looking out for how to help me get a job after the course!
Original post by Keziah
I had my interview for PGCE Secondary French at Leicester yesterday, and I got in! :smile:

They said they'd happily give me an Unconditional offer for French, but that they would prefer to give me a Conditional for French with Spanish so I can get funding for an Subject Knowledge Enhancement course in Spanish. Apparently most MFL jobs advertised at the moment want people who can teach Spanish, so my employment prospects will be better if I do that.

I'm impressed that they're already looking out for how to help me get a job after the course!

Congratulations!! I'm going to Leicester to do Citizenship (and there are a couple of others around for english and social sciences). I'm really excited and it's great they're being so helpful already!
Are you going to be applying for uni accommodation?
Original post by andymcgowan763
Congratulations!! I'm going to Leicester to do Citizenship (and there are a couple of others around for english and social sciences). I'm really excited and it's great they're being so helpful already!
Are you going to be applying for uni accommodation?

Awesome. :smile: I'm really looking forwards to meeting everyone.

I'm not going in uni accomodation because I live in Derby which isn't too far. The train I got to my interview only took 22 minutes!

I'm hoping I'll end up with a placement on my side of Leicester, as they do consider geography when deciding where to send us. One of their partnership schools is only 9 miles away from me, so that would be amazing. But I drive, so I'm sure I'll manage to go wherever they send me, and I know distance isn't the most important factor in deciding placements.
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Anybody here going to LSBU?

I am :smile:
Original post by Keziah
Awesome. :smile: I'm really looking forwards to meeting everyone.

I'm not going in uni accomodation because I live in Derby which isn't too far. The train I got to my interview only took 22 minutes!

I'm hoping I'll end up with a placement on my side of Leicester, as they do consider geography when deciding where to send us. One of their partnership schools is only 9 miles away from me, so that would be amazing. But I drive, so I'm sure I'll manage to go wherever they send me, and I know distance isn't the most important factor in deciding placements.

I'm the other way round! From Leicester, but will be travelling to Derby. Also, you mentioned partnership schools, how did you find them out? I've looked all over for Derby Uni's partnership schools but can't find them! Thankyou.
Original post by tigergrowl
I'm the other way round! From Leicester, but will be travelling to Derby. Also, you mentioned partnership schools, how did you find them out? I've looked all over for Derby Uni's partnership schools but can't find them! Thankyou.

Hey,

I'm afraid I can't help you out on partnership schools. I only know about Leicester having one at Castle Donington because in the interview, they asked me if I was planning on commuting from Derby, and I asked whether they have any schools in Derbyshire (seeing as I know that Nottingham Uni have some schools in Derby).

So they told me that they did have one school that's quite near to me, but that obviously geography isn't their top priority when placing us in schools, although they do bear it in mind a bit.
Original post by Keziah

It makes them look bad if they have a load of unemployed NQTs after the course has finished.
The TDA and the unions all do surveys around December/January time after you've qualified and essentially it makes the university look poor if there are loads of unemployed NQTs (even though most of the time its lack of jobs more than anything else) so they will try to push you into streams where there are more jobs.
It will also be related to their placement schools - they might have more schools who want to take someone who is training to teach French and Spanish so it'd be easier administratively for them if they can put you in that group of trainees rather than have you in the single language group if you're already some of the way there to being able to teach Spanish too.
Original post by sabedwali1
I am :smile:

See ya there! :smile: What course are you doing?
Original post by Keziah
Hey,

I'm afraid I can't help you out on partnership schools. I only know about Leicester having one at Castle Donington because in the interview, they asked me if I was planning on commuting from Derby, and I asked whether they have any schools in Derbyshire (seeing as I know that Nottingham Uni have some schools in Derby).

So they told me that they did have one school that's quite near to me, but that obviously geography isn't their top priority when placing us in schools, although they do bear it in mind a bit.

Aah, I see!! Thanks for explaining!
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
See ya there! :smile: What course are you doing?

im an undergraduate lol .. im gonna do built environment extended degree
Original post by sabedwali1
im an undergraduate lol .. im gonna do built environment extended degree

Cool, might bump into ya somewhere :smile:
Reply 552
Original post by SpoilmyFun
conditional from Reading uni for MFL! so happy! and just heard that I am actually fit to teach! I wonder if I'm gonna be that healthy after the course.

Congratulations on getting a place! I have my PGCE primary interview coming up for the university of reading and I am very nervous about the written task. I was hoping someone could be kind enough to let me know what you had to write about and how long you had?

With regards to the interview did you get asked about current education affairs?

Many thanks for your help!! Amy x
Reply 553
Original post by Keziah

Well done...I see Andy has already talked to you, hope we can all offer help to one another and that you get placements not too far away from you :smile:
I hope they will soon give out info on how to prepare for the course, i dont even know when the starting date is and there are no term dates on the unis site either so i'm waiting to hear. I cant wait to get started!
Original post by pintsizedblondie
I received an unconditional offer from Hull University last week! So over the moon it's untrue. Has any one else been offered a place at Hull?

Congratulations. Me too. Received unconditional offer from Hull this week. What are you studying?
Reply 556
Congratulations to all!
I have just accepted an offer for MFL at Leeds Trinity. Relieved to have survived the interviw process and excited for September.

CVAW
Been waiting what seems like forever for all my letters etc. to come through, but I am officially on the PGCE Secondary MFL at Bath next year! So chuffed. Now to pass my undergrad and get on with house hunting!
Anyone who has got a offer for primary PGCE at university of cumbria carlisle campus there is now a group set up on facebook for people to meet before the course starts :smile:
Reply 559
Original post by Chicklet21
Been waiting what seems like forever for all my letters etc. to come through, but I am officially on the PGCE Secondary MFL at Bath next year! So chuffed. Now to pass my undergrad and get on with house hunting!

Have you had much information about sorting house out?, Im on the PGCE middle years science and been told to wait till July when Im told where I will be placed for home school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending