The Student Room Group

Advice on Self Teaching a Unit

Hey everyone :wavey:
So I'm in year 11, and I'm going to be taking the C7 Exam in GCSE OCR Chemistry in a few weeks time. My problem is that my science teacher does not actually finish teaching us the material until THE DAY BEFORE THE EXAM!! :eek:
EPIC FAIL
Therefore,if I am going to have any chance of actually gaining a good grade I must learn it myself beforehand...BUT I need some help..

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about self teaching subjects?? Or how to tackle the Chemistry Module, as it looks a little tricky to understand.

It would be much appreciated :h:

Thank You in Advance!:ta:
Reply 1
Google the name of the exam, and download the specification for the unit. This will tell you everything you need to know. Then google it again to find revision sites.
Original post by sophie123456789
So I'm in year 11, and I'm going to be taking the C7 Exam in GCSE OCR Chemistry in a few weeks time. My problem is that my science teacher does not actually finish teaching us the material until THE DAY BEFORE THE EXAM!! :eek:
EPIC FAIL
Therefore,if I am going to have any chance of actually gaining a good grade I must learn it myself beforehand...BUT I need some help..

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about self teaching subjects?? Or how to tackle the Chemistry Module, as it looks a little tricky to understand.

For the A*/A Grades:

1) Buy a revision guide (CGP Are the best @ GCSE Level) Heres a direct link one: http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/productDetail.asp?book=C2R42

2) Do past papers for it, theres a couple on OCR's site

3) Learn the idea's and context thoroughly, guess on what questions might come up and do them ( each year is very similar)

4) Learn exam technique, check out the specification and be familiar with the mark scheme.

5) really? module C7 is easy.
Source: Me, im doing this exam aswell.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks Everyone...and yeah i think I will go to Waterstones on the weekend and have a look at those CGP Books.

I suppose I'm so worried about this module because of the limited time, and the fact that my current text book is very confusing.
I'm also a SLOOOOW learner lol :colondollar:

Thanks Again :smile:
Reply 4
EPIC FAIL

Are you doing Gateway or Twenty First Century Science?
Original post by TopG
Are you doing Gateway or Twenty First Century Science?

Twenty First Century Science :biggrin:
Reply 6
Twenty First Century Science :biggrin:

Same as me, at school, we're still on C2, but I've had a quick glance in textbook on C7, making flashcards on keywords really helped when we did a C1 practise test. The Chemistry Workbook (ISBN 9780199138418) is really helpful.

Hope this helps.
Reply 7
This mock exam paper, might help as well.
Original post by TopG

theres official past papers u know? liek the other years (2011,2010...)
Original post by TopG

Thank You So Much!! I've found past papers, but not this one before. I'm sure it will be of great help to me :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by DeathByBSOD
theres official past papers u know? liek the other years (2011,2010...)

There is but I think since the beginning of this year OCR have started to do papers differently, so a mok paper from the new Sprcification will be better, unless I misunderstood my Biology teacher :colondollar:
Reply 11
Thank You So Much!! I've found past papers, but not this one before. I'm sure it will be of great help to me :smile: :biggrin:

Happy to help :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending