The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emilybradstreet
They probably won't contact you until post-interview or assessment day and before they decide to extend an offer.

Why do you ask?

*them, sorry.
Applied for a TC at Addleshaw Goddard at the end of February and still haven't received a response to my initial application form. Have sent them two e-mails and phoned HR but nobody has got back to me! Shall I assume I've been unsuccessful?!
Reply 542
Original post by emilybradstreet
They probably won't contact you until post-interview or assessment day and before they decide to extend an offer.

Why do you ask?

Just didn't know the importance of references before reading people saying on other forums it can be a deal clincher. The academic referee I gave I only got 61 for his module in my final year and also I've graduated now so feel more awkward asking former tutors for references. My other referee would be the team leader for my current work and I've put her down without asking her so far.
Reply 543
Original post by rliu
Just didn't know the importance of references before reading people saying on other forums it can be a deal clincher. The academic referee I gave I only got 61 for his module in my final year and also I've graduated now so feel more awkward asking former tutors for references. My other referee would be the team leader for my current work and I've put her down without asking her so far.

Really, a deal clincher? That's quite a surprise, I assumed it was a formality. I put my DoS, (who has changed every year since I've been at Uni) and is someone who has never taught me before, but we have chatted at events such as talks etc within the dept. He neither really knows me, my attitude nor my character - other than from paper...so I can't imagine it was a glowing reference, or a deal clincher so to speak?! It would be interesting to see what they say about you :colone:
Reply 544
Original post by rliu

References are NEVER deal clinchers--they're nothing but formalities. Especially since references can't be negative.
Original post by Brevity
References are NEVER deal clinchers--they're nothing but formalities. Especially since references can't be negative.

What do you think about places (not necessarily TC firms) that ask for written references? They seem to crop up more in government.

I suppose for those they would put a little bit more weight to the opinions expressed, is that correct?

Genuine question here :smile:
Original post by Brevity
references can't be negative.

This is wrong I'm afraid, they can be. As long as they're factual.
Reply 547
Original post by slowdowngandhi
This is wrong I'm afraid, they can be. As long as they're factual.

Are you sure? I could be wrong but I was under the impression that an employer could refuse to give a reference but couldn't say anything negative?

This doesn't apply to facts & figures though I don't think. E.g. number of days absent, late, other performance indicators the new employer may be interested. Or if you've done something dishonest/criminal either.

It's more about what they say about your character.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Hagen
Are you sure? I could be wrong but I was under the impression that an employer could refuse to give a reference but couldn't say anything negative?

This doesn't apply to facts & figures though I don't think. E.g. number of days absent, late, other performance indicators the new employer may be interested. Or if you've done something dishonest/criminal either.

It's more about what they say about your character.

I'm absolutely sure. It's something I've been through with lawyers myself several times in my old job, when I was giving references.
As long as they do not act negligently they can give a negative reference. For instance if you have been dismissed. I know this from case law and also from my previous employer. They did not dismiss me but they said that if they dismiss someone they do write it in the reference.
Reply 550
Sounds like a public sector thing. A lot of people in the NHS and such like think that references have to be good or not at all. Probably the same logic that spawned the National Record of Achievement.

Rationally, if references could not be negative....employers wouldn't bother with them.
Large law firms generally don't use references as part of the recruitment process. I believe they are checked by the external company responsible for checking the truth of your application form after you have been offered a TC, this was certainly the case for me.

This is fairly standard in the professional services industry. No law firm or other professional services firm give meaningful references about the candidate. They will generally only confirm your title and dates of employment, no matter how good or bad an employee you were.

People can give negative references, but they generally don't. Law firms have the policy of only confirming title/dates of employment because they are worried about getting sued; it is quite difficult for a large organisation to ensure that all its references are accurate.
Can anybody share any tips for the Simmons and Simmons AC? I have one coming up!

Also, has anyone heard from Norton Rose?
Reply 553
Email from Schillings today (I hadn't applied yet) saying they weren't taking any more trainees.
Original post by Clip
Email from Schillings today (I hadn't applied yet) saying they weren't taking any more trainees.

Why did you receive the email? (I mean, which mailing list are you on?)

I've just tried to check by going to their graduate recruitment page and got a 404 error! :s-smilie:
Reply 555
Got it from apply4law. I had registered and started an application but not sent it in yet.

This is what you call PFO in provectus.
Original post by Clip
Got it from apply4law. I had registered and started an application but not sent it in yet.

This is what you call PFO in provectus.

That's fine. At least you saved a bit of time? x
Original post by Clip

I got the same one - although I'd already decided against finishing the app, on more research I wasn't too keen, so it's not too disappointing.

I did get an invite for a TC interview last week for Davenport Lyons though, which I'm really pleased about :smile:
Reply 558
I take it other people have seen this:

http://l2b.thelawyer.com/camerons-sells-internship-for-charity/1012278.article

I know it is for charity, but it is so, so poorly thought out by Camerons. Auctioning internships really undoes so much of the good access working going on in the city. What a silly thing for the firm to do.
Reply 559
Original post by hmaus
That's my firm and I hadn't seen it! I can't believe they thought this was a good idea given how much criticism there has been lately about auctioning internships.

My firm too - also haven't heard about this until just now. Probabaly not a great idea, even with good intentions...

Quick Reply

Latest