The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS1 - 14th May 2012!

Hi,

This is the official thread for all of us who are taking BUSS1 this May :smile: Feel free to share tips and how your revision is getting along for this exam.

I have a couple of topics left of the specification to cover which I hope to have completed with textbook knowledge by Sunday (I hope) :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Hi !
I'm about a third of the way through revising this unit. Not revising as much as I am for my other subjects (maths, bio and chem) as unit 1 seems pretty identical to GCSE business! I did that with aqa too and theres a lot of overlap.
I'm revising by writing notes out, then just re-reading them 8372840 times before the exam!
Find this easier than unit 2, but haven't even started revising for unit 2 yet! Got a unit 1 mock next week so need to finish revising by then.
What techniques are you using to revise? Did you do it at GCSE?
:smile:
Btw is there a thread for unit 2 too?
Original post by needtosucceed=)
Hi !
I'm about a third of the way through revising this unit. Not revising as much as I am for my other subjects (maths, bio and chem) as unit 1 seems pretty identical to GCSE business! I did that with aqa too and theres a lot of overlap.
I'm revising by writing notes out, then just re-reading them 8372840 times before the exam!
Find this easier than unit 2, but haven't even started revising for unit 2 yet! Got a unit 1 mock next week so need to finish revising by then.
What techniques are you using to revise? Did you do it at GCSE?
:smile:
Btw is there a thread for unit 2 too?

I've just been trying to condense the textbook knowledge :P I'm thinking of making a definitions list too :smile: I took this exam last year and got a C with no revision, but I'm resitting it this year hoping to get high marks :smile: Any ideas on what is likely to come up? :tongue:

I haven't seen a thread for BUSS2 yet. Feel free to make one :smile:
Reply 3
Retaking this. Have an A already but want to get a higher A or hopefully full marks.

Does anyone have the January 2012 past paper?
Original post by Smeemi
Retaking this. Have an A already but want to get a higher A or hopefully full marks.

Do you have any tips to share? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lakhvir.Singh
Do you have any tips to share? :smile:

Past papers. That's it, really. The topics are not difficult, it's just understanding how to write the questions.
I've just been trying to condense the textbook knowledge :P I'm thinking of making a definitions list too :smile: I took this exam last year and got a C with no revision, but I'm resitting it this year hoping to get high marks :smile: Any ideas on what is likely to come up? :tongue:

I haven't seen a thread for BUSS2 yet. Feel free to make one :smile:

definitions list sounds like a good idea! oh right your year 13 then, i've heard BUSS3 is a killer! Did you take it in january, if so how'd you do? Really can't guess with business exams! Soo many topics to learn yet the longer answer questions require knowledge of only a small part of the textbook! For unit one im hoping things like sources of finance, legal structure and business plans! :smile: how about you? Found out today my unit one mock got cancelled due to time restrictions - we've still got half of finance and half of marketing to do for unit 2, im not complaining though! How's buss4?
Reply 7
Hey.. does anyone know where i can get a list of all buss1 key terms and formulas? x
Original post by jk122
Hey.. does anyone know where i can get a list of all buss1 key terms and formulas? x

I would probably just go through the textbook and write out/type up all the definitions boxes they have,there aren't many formulas at all so just skim through the textbook looking for them :smile: finance will probably have the most!
Reply 9
Original post by needtosucceed=)
I would probably just go through the textbook and write out/type up all the definitions boxes they have,there aren't many formulas at all so just skim through the textbook looking for them :smile: finance will probably have the most!

my textbooks not great but i did find a list of definitions on the tutor 2 u website :biggrin:
Reply 10
Does anyone have January 2012 paper ?? I urgently need it!

Reply 11
Original post by bkhan
Does anyone have January 2012 paper ?? I urgently need it!

http://intranet.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/resource.aspx?id=268106 - Jan 2012 - Pierres T-shirts
Reply 12
Does anyone know the calculation for market size :colondollar:
Original post by jk122

Number of units sold * Price = Market Size

Can anyone quickly go over break even for me pleasee?:redface:
Reply 14
Original post by jk122

Market size can be measured in two ways;
- Volume (Which measures the quantity of goods purchased)
- Value (Is the amount spent by customers on the volume sold)

The difference between volume and value is the price paid per unit.

Hope this helps, I can't actually think or find an actual calculation for market size. There are calculations for increasing or decreasing market size though :smile:

I'm re-doing this exam along with BUSS4 (because I was allowed to do BUSS4 early), and need to get 9 marks more then i originally got to get a B! :biggrin:
Reply 15

Break even is - Fixed costs/ Contribution per unit (Price-Variable costs)

If total costs (FC + VC), are equal to revenue (Goods sold x Price), then a firm has broke even :smile:
Any predictions what may come up by looking back on the previous and last years papers?

Fixed Cost/ Contribution Per Unit = Break Even :smile:

Original post by Smeemi

Seeing as you got an A. Do you think you can help me with the run down on how you construct your answers? Especially for the higher mark questions?
Thanks guys.
I'm assuming that a lower break even point is better? Also, would we have to draw a break even graph in the exam?
Reply 18
Original post by CarlitosWayz12

Seeing as you got an A. Do you think you can help me with the run down on how you construct your answers? Especially for the higher mark questions?

Tbh I don't think that's as important with Buss1, it is important but you definetely need to know how to do calculations and beable to apply the theory more. In this paper there are more marks for knowledge and application then there are for analysis and Ev.

Structure I used:

Keyword
Point
What it leads to
What it depends on

^ Did that twice and just had a conclusion.

Thanks guys.
I'm assuming that a lower break even point is better? Also, would we have to draw a break even graph in the exam?

Yup lower = better
and I think it would be smart to be able to know how to draw it, it did come up in like the 2010 paper so it might come up again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Here is a formula sheet my school put on Moodle. It may or may not help you, but it is attached! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest