The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

Dentistry

so usually a comment about how much money I'll be making, or a reference to how on earth i could look at teeth all day
Reply 1401
I'm currently studying midwifery, so I either get "Eww....I'd hate to do that" or "I've always wanted to do that" and "Has it put you off having children?"

However, when I then tell them that I'm starting social work in september they said "So you're leaving one underpaid, overworked career but one where people actually like you to one where you're even more underpaid, even more overworked and everyone hates you?" Yes.....thank you for your opinion.
"Oh"

Possibly followed by something about Brian Cox.
I've had this recently:

'Oh children's nursing, why not adult nursing?' - in a voice that suggests it revolts them that I've chosen to work with children rather than adults :frown:
Reply 1404
One comment i've actually had is "Oh, you study human geography instead of physical geography? Is that like choosing economics over maths?"
FOOLS
"I suck at maths."

I'm a maths major.
Original post by thomaskurian89
"I suck at maths."

I'm a maths major.

When I was doing Maths I tended to get "So you're good with numbers then".
"So you want to be a teacher"

:nothing:
Original post by magicbuspass
"Oh, that sounds interesting. So, would it be right if ... insert moral dilemma here ... ?"

I study Philosophy.

Original post by StrayBullet
Does anybody else get a 'typical' response?

I study psychology and almost laugh to myself before mentioning this, simply because I know full well that they will respond by saying something along the lines of; "Oooh, don't figure me out!", "better watch what I say around you then, eh!". Makes me feel like a right manipulative cow!

Anyone else have similar retorts? :biggrin:

Oh gosh I'm gonna be studying Philosophy and Psychology. what have I let myself in for :tongue:
"Of course you do"

"That's so boring..why don't you study something cool?" - coming from men who study business / work in finance

"What is it exactly..like economics?"

"Ok.." *walks away*

I study business. (Business Management)

I've started studying arts part time actually. So now I'm no longer that cynical businesswoman people want me to be.
I'm sure this has been mentioned by I often get, "so are you going to teach then?"

I study History.

In my head: NO, THERE ARE LOADS OF OTHER OPTIONS THAN JUST TEACHING!
Original post by kates:)
I'm sure this has been mentioned by I often get, "so are you going to teach then?"

I study History.

In my head: NO, THERE ARE LOADS OF OTHER OPTIONS THAN JUST TEACHING!

Like?
Original post by chrislpp
Like?

Either you don't know or are narrow-minded. Nevertheless, I know lots of people who have studied History who went on to be accountants, lawyers, journalists or working in advertising, retail and business. Obviously there are those who choose to teach or work in museums etc. History, whilst teaching you about the past, actually teaches a lot of valuable skills. There is a reason it is a respected university degree.
Original post by kates:)
Either you don't know or are narrow-minded. Nevertheless, I know lots of people who have studied History who went on to be accountants, lawyers, journalists or working in advertising, retail and business. Obviously there are those who choose to teach or work in museums etc. History, whilst teaching you about the past, actually teaches a lot of valuable skills. There is a reason it is a respected university degree.

But that's the question, did they REALLY need the degree? If only for confidence, then maybe.
Original post by chrislpp
But that's the question, did they REALLY need the degree? If only for confidence, then maybe.

kates:)

I'm with Kates on this. However saying that, I can understand why some people wonder what line of work a history graduate will be going into other than a historian.

A lot of people on my post-grad course seem to be from history backgrounds, whilst I took a straight law degree. As Kates said, the history degree allows one to develop a lot of skills - analytical reading, using evidence/sources, essay writing etc etc. These skills can be put to good use in other careers - such as the law or politics for example.

I think what is amusing is that some people get wound up with the fact that other than a historian, there are not many other careers which link directly to the degree itself. Instead, history graduates have to transfer their skills and end up working in other sectors. However this is the same for other degrees: not everyone who studies law ends up as a lawyer - instead they use the skills they have gained (which are similar to those gained doing a history degree) in other occupations.
"Haha, why don't you do real subjects?" for Philosophy Politics and Economics. Won't start til next year but I've had this about 5 times :sad:
Original post by bertstare
Dentistry

so usually a comment about how much money I'll be making, or a reference to how on earth i could look at teeth all day

haven't you ever had a reference to the suicide rate? :colone: although I'm not sure how factually correct it is
Original post by Chr0n
I'll start PPE in October and the reaction I most get is:

Them: Oh you will study in the UK, that's so cool. What will you be studying?
Me: Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Them: Hm. What?
Me: Philosophy, Politics and Economics. Also "Philosophie, Politik und VWL"
Them: *looking stupid*

Can be quite annoying. It's not like it's rocket science or something...

Economics translates to VWL? how does that even work
People generally tend to think that I'm doing a useless degree. When I told a family friend what I was going to study at Uni, he looked at me like I was a piece of dirt he found on the bottom of his shoe. People get the impression that they are qualified enough to say that I'll never find a job.
I do Environmental Science, my dentist said (following a long pause) : 'Oh! that's a ... new one'

Quick Reply

Latest