The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6600
Welcome back Essex Girl and glad you enjoyed your travels. Have fun going back through all the pages you've missed!

Also welcome to the continuing line of lurkers coming out of lurkdom, great to hear from you.

Congrats to those who got Saturday offers. Very happy for you (and of course a tad jealous!).

Still clinging to hope here along with galactica2009. Fingers and toes all crossed. EG do you have any fairy dust left?
Original post by Mandy_Panda
I'm not sure how true 'the look' thing is, there is certainly a range of age, shapes, races and sizes in group 47. There is no rhyme or reason to the look at all. Plus, is it possible to discriminate on other grounds in an open volunteer audition? I don't think, legally, you can say discrimination has potentially taken place. They saw everyone, they didn't offer everyone a definite role, a cross sector has been represented, where's the discrimination?

The only bit of possible and rather obvious discrimination (which I agree, legally, is not enforceable in a volunteer situation anyway) is publicly advertising for and then holding a second round of auditions specifically for "men with rhythm" (but even there not everyone who fits that category got an offer either it seems and, like, the November Reserves have simply been left hanging hopeing (a) a vacant slot will arise eventually (b) the rehearsal dates will be manageable and (c) they will be asked to take part instead).

Makes me wonder if those of us that auditioned first time around had been predominantly men would they have simply have "made up the numbers" for those auditions with a certain proportion of female auditionees/offers just to be politicaly correct and not be accused of definite discrimnation? Of course we have no proof that this is what behind the scenes and even we could prove it we would not have any recognisable cause of action because we are all unpaid volunteers at the end of the day. It is nevertheless still a real possibility, however unlikely IMHO. Many of the female auditionees I spoke to had never held drumsticks before let alone played a drum of any kind and were therefore quite bewildered as to why they'd been asked to attend a drumming specific recall at all !!!

Another possible case of discrimination on "the look" side of things could be that so many dancers & actors in each segment had to be a certain phsyical size (big/larger and/or petite) to fit whatever roles they have planned for those people or else be a certain height/race, again to make the final cast look totally representative of the UK population in their choices. This might also help explain why several females at the drumming audition I attended, but by their own admission were clearly not drummers, had been put into that group rather than a recall for dancing/acting as they had it seems, all been hoping for.

Of course, we can speculate as much as we like either way as to what has/is going on behind the scenes. They are never going to disclose what their selection criteria was for each segment (not even to those actually taking part in that segment) are they? what's done is done and they have to live with those decisions and what the outcome might/might not be come performance night of them.
Reply 6602
All this wait and all I got was "... we are still very interested in keeping you as a reserve performer and therefore have placed you on our Volunteer Performer reserve list."
:frown:
My mum was at the same audition but hasn't got her email yet. Fingers crossed for her! But yeah, it would be weird seeing her perform when I'M the dancer in the family! :/ I'm not sure how I feel about the whole situation just yet...
Original post by Lara5
All this wait and all I got was "... we are still very interested in keeping you as a reserve performer and therefore have placed you on our Volunteer Performer reserve list."
My mum was at the same audition but hasn't got her email yet. Fingers crossed for her! But yeah, it would be weird seeing her perform when I'M the dancer in the family! :/ I'm not sure how I feel about the whole situation just yet...

Hiya Lara5- I think we were in the same audition? 22nd Feb? I too had an email today about being on the Reserve list today.

I'd actually committed to doing a Props role about a month or so back, knowing full well my dancing was diabolical compared to some of the others there at the audition, but after this very very long wait, all the hoping, I'd be feeling very very disappointed. But as someone said a few posts back, people are already dropping out- I guess perhaps your thoughts now are 'Do I go ahead and book loads of other fun stuff or keep my summer free incase I do get asked to perform?'

Take care, hope your Mum hears soon
Original post by kyurogo
for anyone on the reserve list, here's some info that might be interesting.

I'm in a group where a fair few people have dropped out (they must be crazy/stupid or something!) and at the second rehearsal there were a lot of new people, presumably from the reserve list.

so they DO use the reserve lists, don't be disheartened! it's not just an empty gesture. keep those fingers crossed and good luck.

Well that's very interesting (though,if I'm honest, also a tad surprising to hear that people have started to drop out already but maybe getting soaked/cold queing to get in wherever had something to do with that decision or else something in the personal lives has seriously got in the way of their original plans for which there is no other solution but to withdraw from this - it happens - rather than any real desire to give up so soon, having lost the previously demonstrated in abundance enthusiasm to take part).

So, how long will it be before someone on Reserve from our TSR family gets a second chance now then I wonder?

Let's see exactly how long it takes them to start making offers to those we know are still waiting shall we? (my own gut feeling is that this will and maybe just has to happen very soon for all sorts of practical reasons, including budgetary considerations and artistic flow preparation or whatever).

I say again though had they had the foresight to give us reserves (back in January 2012) some idea of at least the compulsory rehearsal dates to keep free and an indication whether this was for a dance/acting/druming segment (without any detailed info. re. venue, timings or whatever) then they could have drastically reduced the chance that those reserves they do eventually contact with offers being no longer able to give the commitment required due to other plans elsewhere.

Regardless of whether you agree with me the casting team have, I think, "seriously missed a trick" there and if it comes back to bite them further down the line then, with all due respect, it sort of serves them right really - they are the professionals and experienced at putting on such large scale events after all, or at least supposed to be
!

I put this flaw/criticism of the casting team outlined above right up there with

(1) improved & standardised communication with us overall (how are Games Maker organisers co-ordinating things by comparison)
(2) the absence of a centralised & secure forum area for us online linked to from the Ceremonies Website (as detailed in one of my earlier posts/rants a couple of days ago now) that we could log on to whenever we liked to keep team morale up with brief but regular contributions from them added which would not compromise "the secret" in any way. It's not as if the I.T. infrastructure is not already there (at a huge cost financially no doubt) - if London Ambassadors and/or Game Makers can provide such a system/service then why can't Ceremonies Casting do likewise? Surely it's not beyond the bounds of reasonableness to ask their I.T. teams to talk to each other on the execution of and the mechanics of such shared concepts? Not rocket science guys and gals !

So that's 3 definite improvements for starters ...... I suspect there's plenty more (that may other volunteer performers have already noticed and observed about the whole process having personally seen and witnessed the alternative and in many respects outwardly disorganised way that casting are/seem to be doing things).

Oh well, the wait goes on again for now I guess ...............
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by geejohn
Yeay! Thanks for sharing Kyurogo! I haven't given up, it's all only just started - I feel very positive about it all :smile:

I am glad about that - I really am (and I wish that I could say I felt completely the same but, unfortunately, the longer the wait for news goes on for me the more anxious I am getting that if and when they do eventually contact me I will then not be able to commit to the rehearsals and thus be denied the opportunity of taking part on those grounds at the 11th hour).

This need not have been so had they told me about certain dates in January and asked me to keep them free like they did with those they made offers to (which makes it all the more frustrating for me!)

Still trying my best to avoid such a situation arising of course, principally by not accepting anything else I cannot get out of at short notice to take place before the end of July 2012 but I am not prepared to take a similar approach for dates 27th July 2012 onwards any more I'm afraid - pretty definate about that regardless of the "once in a lifetime" opportunity - being available after the opening ceremony was never part of my own plans and, for anything other than that my take is that they possibly need me rather more than I need them or it now - I have plenty other opportunities to be creative elsewhere) !

The above statement is made not with the intention of being derisory in any way about the content of the other 3 ceremonies just that to participate in the opening ceremony (as originally hoped for) would currently suit my diary/life better on a number of fronts, that's all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lara5

Aw shame - fingers crossed for mum though !
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by timefortea
Hiya Lara5- I think we were in the same audition? 22nd Feb? I too had an email today about being on the Reserve list today.

I'd actually committed to doing a Props role about a month or so back, knowing full well my dancing was diabolical compared to some of the others there at the audition, but after this very very long wait, all the hoping, I'd be feeling very very disappointed. But as someone said a few posts back, people are already dropping out- I guess perhaps your thoughts now are 'Do I go ahead and book loads of other fun stuff or keep my summer free incase I do get asked to perform?'

Take care, hope your Mum hears soon

Same response as what I just said to Lara5 - aw shame! (I feel your pain but in my case I have been left hanging like this since my 2nd audition in November 2011 really not only since February 2012 which, for me and everyone around me, makes it all the more unbearably frustrating at times !!)
(edited 11 years ago)
galactica, you have such a warm, positive outlook. It's very refreshing and lovely. Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot:smile:. I know that i will get a positive offer. Time is medicine:smile: where patience is said to be a good virue. Moreover, i had put all my energy and moves at the paralympic audition that has impressed many auditionees in my group. With that audition in mind, i am keeping myself positive and provide warmth rays of sunshine to inspire others that there's nothing to lose the hope and courage to keep on fighting as a hero where many of us shall be performing infront of billion viewers.:smile:.
galactica, you have such a warm, positive outlook. It's very refreshing and lovely. Good luck!!!

I am hoping to get positive news coming week. Lets hope for the best and saves the best for last:smile:
Reply 6610
If a bit of rain in a queue is enough to put someone off they are mad, or perhaps right to drop out at this stage to give a chance to someone else. This is England so there is every chance it would rain on the big night, as far as I know the stadium doesn't have a roof (though correct me if I am wrong, I thought it only covers spectators) so I would consider rain while queueing for rehearsals to be a rehearsal in itself! The sensible thing to do would be to take an umbrella, warm clothing etc. It's April and it is still cold, no one likes standing in the rain but that's life I suppose. I've been caught in a downpour a few times these last couple of weeks, but cursed no one but myself for being unprepared.

My two pence, is that casting know full well what they are doing and the shows will be spectacular. If there is no news for people, then there is no news. It sucks to be waiting though, I feel the frustration. It's inevitable that some people are going to be left disappointed, and it will come to a point for some that they will have to decide whether waiting/taking part outweighs the benefits of throwing in the towel - no one can make that decision apart from the individual. If anyone is not happy, or cannot commit, they are free to move on and free up a place in the queue for someone who is still free and does still want it. At the end of the day we volunteered knowing that there would be a big commitment at some point, and knowing that we could either take it or leave it at any stage, so they don't owe us anything really (quicker communication would be nice! But sometimes there just is no news to give...).

Here is hoping everyone will be put out of their misery soon though...
Original post by cornishscot
Regardless of whether you agree with me the casting team have, I think, "seriously missed a trick" there and if it comes back to bite them further down the line then, with all due respect, it sort of serves them right really - they are the professionals and experienced at putting on such large scale events after all, or at least supposed to be!

...and from their viewpoint, it works as it should, no trick missed. I assume there is a large enough body of reserves that even if most reserves were not able to jump in anymore, they would still have enough people who can. They've done this multiple times and I trust they know how people react. I see no evidence otherwise, and certainly no segments will be cancelled - unless it rains bucket loads on the day.

Original post by cornishscot
I put this flaw/criticism of the casting team outlined above right up there with

(1) improved & standardised communication with us overall (how are Games Maker organisers co-ordinating things by comparison)
(2) the absence of a centralised & secure forum area for us online linked to from the Ceremonies Website (as detailed in one of my earlier posts/rants a couple of days ago now) that we could log on to whenever we liked to keep team morale up with brief but regular contributions from them added which would not compromise "the secret" in any way. It's not as if the I.T. infrastructure is not already there (at a huge cost financially no doubt) - if London Ambassadors and/or Game Makers can provide such a system/service then why can't Ceremonies Casting do likewise? Surely it's not beyond the bounds of reasonableness to ask their I.T. teams to talk to each other on the execution of and the mechanics of such shared concepts? Not rocket science guys and gals !

While this forum reinforces enthusiasm for many, I also think it does the opposite for others. So I can see a reason for not providing official forums for participants (I used to work for a company that followed the same approach - keep 'em in the dark to prevent negative ideas from spreading). Of course the argument can be made the other way around, I am just pointing out alternative perspectives.

Finally, it speaks volumes that the main ceremonies discussion is taking place on a completely unrelated random forum (= TSR), even FB does not seem to get many people together. Going back to a point I made earlier, it's fascinating that information about the ceremonies remains relatively low key on social media in this day and age - just imagine how it must have been for previous Olympics, when people did not have any chance to find out about any other acceptance/on hold notifications.

Thanks to Flakeydom's systematic collection of stats, we are probably the first generation of Olympic volunteers to scrutinise the audition process based on a very incomplete set of data. I am sure this contributes to some of the stress. Once this is all over, someone definitely should send L2012C this whole thread so that Rio can learn from the new realities of online communication...

I know the above does not help anybody on the deserve list. But all we can really do is wait and keep all of our fingers crossed that as many of you still get in, still have time to commit, and are still somewhat inspired by the Olympics.
I just found out that I can create five crosses with my ten fingers and still type! :smile:
Reply 6612
Original post by maclondon
good things come to those that wait! :smile:

Cast Offer, 44 FOP :smile:

very very very very very happy

Huge congratulations, from memory you have been waiting a very very long time!
Well done.
Reply 6613
[QUOTE="maclondon;37245795"]good things come to those that wait! :smile:

very very very very very happy[/QUOTE

Oh very well done maclondon. Huge congrats and something good to read at last.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Reply 6614
yep my recall was november 30th! :smile:

I'm like a gp, lots of patients ;0

Patience is a virtue!
Reply 6615
Huge huge congrats to you. Lovely to hear good news for our members of our family.
Congratulations maclondon :biggrin:
good things come to those that wait! :smile:

very very very very very happy

Hello there:smile: Many many congrats to you:smile:
Very pleased to hear after such a long wait :smile:
Congrats mac London!!!