The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
why have i suddenly turned so paranoid and anxious? :erm: at the moment, any random noise at night is a burgular, anybody walking behind me in the street is a murderer/rapist, i cant leave my phone charging during the night cause it will burn the house down and every muttered conversation between my parents is about me :sigh:

didnt get any revision done this whole week, which is ridiculous considering my first exam is in about 23 days :frown: i think tomorrow i'll spend the afternoon in the library (i finish early) because that seems to be the only place where i can actually work properly.

on a side note, i bought my prom dress yesterday, i think its really pretty :h: i cant stop thinking about what shoes and jewellery im gonna wear with it lool

If those feelings came out of nowhere, perhaps it's a reaction after something that happened recently? At least that's what i've found when that's happened to me.

I feel you on the no revision done thing, except i have a dissertation to write and 3d stuff to model and texture. I've done some work but it reaallly isn't enough, thought i'd be a LOT further ahead than i am currently .__.

At least you have something good to look forward to :smile:
Original post by Meaty_man
If those feelings came out of nowhere, perhaps it's a reaction after something that happened recently? At least that's what i've found when that's happened to me.

I feel you on the no revision done thing, except i have a dissertation to write and 3d stuff to model and texture. I've done some work but it reaallly isn't enough, thought i'd be a LOT further ahead than i am currently .__.

At least you have something good to look forward to :smile:

its probably down to stress, like everything seems to be at the moment :frown:

ive planned out a revision timetable and everything, but im so far behind, im like 3/4 weeks behind where im meant to be :frown: i dont even think i can scrape the grades i need in chemistry now :sigh:
Heyy Guys,

I have been suffering from depression since starting medschool and its at the worst stage at the moment, I'm planning to apply for extenating circumstances, got any advice for me?
its probably down to stress, like everything seems to be at the moment :frown:

ive planned out a revision timetable and everything, but im so far behind, im like 3/4 weeks behind where im meant to be :frown: i dont even think i can scrape the grades i need in chemistry now :sigh:

You know, my housemate got a nosebleed from stress the other week...lol. Amazing what stress can do to you eh?

If you think you won't finish everything, get the things worth most marks done first, so that if you don't end up getting everything done/revised, you have the most important things covered.

By the way, it is MUCH more efficient to revise and then sleep on what you learnt, rather than cramming. Your brain actually processes what you learned in the day while you sleep (makes connections and links to things), so if you don't get that sleep, you'll remember a LOT less. They even carried out tests on students to prove this :P

Original post by medicinneedofhelp
Heyy Guys,

I have been suffering from depression since starting medschool and its at the worst stage at the moment, I'm planning to apply for extenating circumstances, got any advice for me?

Depression among med students is VERY common from what i hear. Have you seen a doc yet? If you're trying to get an extension for work they may want some hard proof, and having a word in from a doctor might seal the deal. I guess you can try without that kinda proof, it will depend on who you see about it i guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kahinalouise
Well you know whats best for you :smile: Did they help or not ??
Are you going to bring it up in your next appointment :colondollar: I've always refused to take medication, I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

No, they were **** :frown:

Probably..

Original post by headunderwater
I know I'm a hypocrite because I stopped taking my meds, but I'd be very careful with what you're doing. Last week I went a bit psycho because of the withdrawal and then I realised I do need the meds to keep me relatively stable.

I know, but so far so good..
Original post by alexlduffy
I'm the same as you. Whenever I go somewhere, I look around and see people and I point out all the good things about them (They're so good looking; brilliant fashion sense; bright smile) yet I can't see anything good about myself. It's something which you'll think you've tackled, yet comes back again and again. There's not really much advice I can give, sadly. Therapy is an option, of course, but it depends on how you feel about it. I don't think there's much advice I can give as I'm struggling too and it doesn't look like I'll be over it soon :frown:

As for your last paragraph, don't worry. Nobody's perfect, we'll all mess up even the simplest task. The best thing to do is to try and not beat yourself up over it. :hugs: And you're NOT worthless, at all!

Anyway, guys, I could do with a bit of help. I should really ask this in the fitness forum, but I know the responses I'll get ("Grow some balls and go to the gym" "Buy a £100 kit instead, or go to the gym instead") and I'm feeling a bit vulnerable today.

My psychologist said that exercise is a great mood reliever and could help me with my self-esteem issues, so I'm thinking of going to the gym. First off though, I want a dumbbell/barbell set for home. Got two questions.

1) Does this look like a good starter set?

2) I'm scared to go to the gym so I'm gonna work out at home for a while before I start going. How can I ease myself into the gym? The nearest gym is ages away, so it's gonna be awkward to get to. And the people in the area are generally unfriendly, and with my tiny frame I'm frightened I'll get laughed out of there.

Yeah, therapy is an option. I'm meant to be starting a self-esteem workshop in the next few weeks, only I don't see the point, as far as I'm concerned my perception of myself is based on the truth not on a distorted self-image. :dontknow:

Alright, I've been going to the gym now for 4 weeks so I'll give my [rather uninformed] view. Those weights look ok for starting off. When I do dumbbell exercises in the gym I use between 8 and 12kg dumbbells so they would cover that - I'd regard myself as being pretty weedy too. But stuff like squats, bench press and deadlifts that set is gonna be pretty useless, and those are, at least I found, some of the most challenging exercises.

As for easing yourself in, for me I did 5 weeks of couch to 5k to get my cardio endurance up, then I went with my girlfriend the first time (they gave her a free pass) but most importantly I just turn my mp3 player up loud and get on with it. Don't look at anyone, never make eye contact, only use machines/weights I'm sure aren't being used, basically being a total wimp but it gets the job done.
Original post by Meaty_man
You know, my housemate got a nosebleed from stress the other week...lol. Amazing what stress can do to you eh?

If you think you won't finish everything, get the things worth most marks done first, so that if you don't end up getting everything done/revised, you have the most important things covered.

By the way, it is MUCH more efficient to revise and then sleep on what you learnt, rather than cramming. Your brain actually processes what you learned in the day while you sleep (makes connections and links to things), so if you don't get that sleep, you'll remember a LOT less. They even carried out tests on students to prove this :P

stress does all kinds of bad things to me :redface: it affects how i sleep, how i eat, makes my tummy pains worse, and im pretty sure its the reason why my hair is falling out atm :sigh:

thing is, its an AS retake, so the topics covered should be fairly simple for me to learn, but none of it is going in :frown: if i cant remember the basic AS stuff, what hope is there for the complex A2 stuff? :frown:

lol then my brain hasnt made many connections in a while, cause ive done nothing. recently ive passed off not doing any work because i was ill, but now i just have no excuse.
Original post by bullettheory
Ah, exams, bad times! :frown: You applying again I guess? Some football coaching stuff sounds a really good idea.

What? I've never had a board take over happen to me, that sounds like a nightmare, if that happened I probably would of raged quit! :tongue: haha, im sure you will be in the top 3, you have a good lead.

I haven't, my Windows partition on my laptop got corrupted and I lost my Bristol City save, it was such a horrible day! About to play in the play offs to get promoted to the Premiership too :frown: After that I haven't really played much, I've been playing FIFA on my PS3 more really, where Bristol City are just AMAZING. Last year we won every competition we entered (incl. CL, PL etc) and had a win rate of 93%, very nice. I probably need to up the difficulty level :tongue:

Yeah, I'll definately be applying again. I think football coaching would be really good for both my application and me. It'll be a lot of fun. I'd love it if I could get a job coaching the youth team at Ebbsfleet - they're seriously undermanned at the moment.

Spoilering the FM stuff because it's long lol.

Spoiler

Original post by Nut.
*butts in*

My last board takeover was by a sugar daddy. :smug:

An extra £400million in the coffers? #yesplease :coma:

Spoiler

:eek: Bloody hell... Did you get many good players with that?

Original post by Nut.
Eh, that was the annoying thing about it... I already had pretty much the best squad I could have done. I was in 2025 and I'd been snapping up the best regens out there for a decade so my squad was unmatched... Not sure why they took me over in the first place tbh.

I ended up buying two players from Stevenage (local team) for £200 million each. When I reach around 2035 it'll be interesting to see how they invested. :beard:

Spoiler

So, I managed to stop crying and they're a bit quieter. Loud music + combing the cat helped.

Still feel like **** inside though. I feel like I'm the kind of person Hitler should have targeted. Jews are pretty cool, whereas me? Yeah, not quite. :frown: Untermensch, yeah that's it.
Original post by ViceVersa
x

Sorry, this has nothing to do with anything but I just noticed something in your sig and had to ask.

You have six choices in your UCAS stuff - 4 medicine and 2 non-medicine - I was just wondering how? :tongue:

I'm very pleased to see that you got offers, just so you know. Very proud of you. You deserve it.

When I get in next time around I expect much help with my studies :wink:

Hehe. Again - well done, love. You should be proud of yourself.
Original post by Sabertooth
Yeah, therapy is an option. I'm meant to be starting a self-esteem workshop in the next few weeks, only I don't see the point, as far as I'm concerned my perception of myself is based on the truth not on a distorted self-image. :dontknow:

Alright, I've been going to the gym now for 4 weeks so I'll give my [rather uninformed] view. Those weights look ok for starting off. When I do dumbbell exercises in the gym I use between 8 and 12kg dumbbells so they would cover that - I'd regard myself as being pretty weedy too. But stuff like squats, bench press and deadlifts that set is gonna be pretty useless, and those are, at least I found, some of the most challenging exercises.

As for easing yourself in, for me I did 5 weeks of couch to 5k to get my cardio endurance up, then I went with my girlfriend the first time (they gave her a free pass) but most importantly I just turn my mp3 player up loud and get on with it. Don't look at anyone, never make eye contact, only use machines/weights I'm sure aren't being used, basically being a total wimp but it gets the job done.

Honestly, this is the way I think about myself. I find it difficult to compliment myself on anything really. It also links back to past experiences. For instance, I might have a day where I like my arms, but then I remember how people constantly talk about how small and hairy my arms are and I feel terrible. This self-esteem workshop may or may not help, but hopefully you're going to get some good tips from it that you can use to help yourself :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I'm worried about whether to buy it or not, I don't want to have wasted money. I seem to rely on others for advice too much - even if one person said no and loads of others said yes, I'd probably end up not buying it. I don't want to go to the gym just yet because I know I'll get laughed right out of there :'(

The thing is, I have nobody to go with. Most of my friends haven't even bothered to talk to me in months, so I can't really randomly approach them. The few that I can ask about it either won't go or will laugh at the idea of me in a gym. :frown: I really want there to be a nearer gym too. It's gonna cost me a fortune to go to that gym.
So, I managed to stop crying and they're a bit quieter. Loud music + combing the cat helped.

Still feel like **** inside though. I feel like I'm the kind of person Hitler should have targeted. Jews are pretty cool, whereas me? Yeah, not quite. :frown: Untermensch, yeah that's it.

the gist is that Hitler shouldn't have targeted anyone. :pierre:
Original post by alexlduffy
Honestly, this is the way I think about myself. I find it difficult to compliment myself on anything really. It also links back to past experiences. For instance, I might have a day where I like my arms, but then I remember how people constantly talk about how small and hairy my arms are and I feel terrible. This self-esteem workshop may or may not help, but hopefully you're going to get some good tips from it that you can use to help yourself :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I'm worried about whether to buy it or not, I don't want to have wasted money. I seem to rely on others for advice too much - even if one person said no and loads of others said yes, I'd probably end up not buying it. I don't want to go to the gym just yet because I know I'll get laughed right out of there :'(

The thing is, I have nobody to go with. Most of my friends haven't even bothered to talk to me in months, so I can't really randomly approach them. The few that I can ask about it either won't go or will laugh at the idea of me in a gym. :frown: I really want there to be a nearer gym too. It's gonna cost me a fortune to go to that gym.

Yeah, my psychologist said it's probably due to past experiences (bullying etc) but I maintain even from an objective standpoint I am an inferior being. :hmmm:

Tbh, it might be cheaper to get some dumbbells without the bar, it seems like an unnecessary extra cost to me.

Hmm, no one to go with sucks, I dunno, I guess just put the music loud. You could get an induction first to learn the layout that way you can plan in advance where you're going to go and there's no awkward standing trying to make up your mind.

Original post by littleshambles
the gist is that Hitler shouldn't have targeted anyone. :pierre:

The world would be better without sabertooths.
Reply 8293
Original post by Chrisofsmeg

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Nut.
Eh, that was the annoying thing about it... I already had pretty much the best squad I could have done. I was in 2025 and I'd been snapping up the best regens out there for a decade so my squad was unmatched... Not sure why they took me over in the first place tbh.

I ended up buying two players from Stevenage (local team) for £200 million each. When I reach around 2035 it'll be interesting to see how they invested. :beard:

How charitable of you. Who are you playing as? Arsenal?
Reply 8295
How charitable of you. Who are you playing as? Arsenal?

:yep: Abandoned Arsenal save in favour of Boreham Wood for the moment :tongue: (See spoilers above to Chris.)

The world would be better without sabertooths.

But then who would tase people? :puppyeyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nut.
But then who would tase people? :puppyeyes:

The police are pretty good at that already.
Reply 8297
The police are pretty good at that already.

But you'd be magnificent. :yep:

Spoiler

stress does all kinds of bad things to me :redface: it affects how i sleep, how i eat, makes my tummy pains worse, and im pretty sure its the reason why my hair is falling out atm :sigh:

thing is, its an AS retake, so the topics covered should be fairly simple for me to learn, but none of it is going in :frown: if i cant remember the basic AS stuff, what hope is there for the complex A2 stuff? :frown:

lol then my brain hasnt made many connections in a while, cause ive done nothing. recently ive passed off not doing any work because i was ill, but now i just have no excuse.

I remember how frigging hard AS/A2 was... in some ways i think it was harder than uni lol. Don't be scared to look back on stuff you've already done, you might find that after you start going through it things will start to click. Also, be sure to write down what you're revising, just reading really doesn't do the job. I assume you are writing stuff down, but just in case :P

I seem to remember past papers being huge when it came to maths and sciences, some of my mates said they didn't really understand a lot of stuff, but the exams just rephrased a lot of the same questions year after year. So if you can notice what the questions are and remember the answers, that's another way to go about it.
Yeah, my psychologist said it's probably due to past experiences (bullying etc) but I maintain even from an objective standpoint I am an inferior being. :hmmm:

Tbh, it might be cheaper to get some dumbbells without the bar, it seems like an unnecessary extra cost to me.

Hmm, no one to go with sucks, I dunno, I guess just put the music loud. You could get an induction first to learn the layout that way you can plan in advance where you're going to go and there's no awkward standing trying to make up your mind.

Many of us will naturally find faults in ourselves first, thinking that we've done something wrong. For instance, if someone doesn't talk to us for ages, we'll think that it's something we've done as opposed to something that's happened with them. If you have a psychologist, I'd see if he/she can focus on that. You are definitely not an inferior being.

Why not with the bar? Just curious.

I know, I wish someone would come with me. Apparently, there's a gym nearer to mine but I can't find it and it's stressing me out majorly. My problem isn't that I wouldn't know how to use everything, it's more that my mere presence is going to make people laugh at me.

Latest