The Student Room Group

AQA COMP1 Examination Structure?

I am taking the AQA June 2012 COMP1 exam and was just wondering about the format of the exam? Will we be using the same IDE as we have been using throughout the year?
How will our answers be put in to the computer? I know it's some kind of 'electronic document' but does that mean via a template Word document or what?

Anyone who has previously taken any COMP1 exam, your experiences would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there,

I too am taking COMP1 in June and the format of the exam is pretty simple. If you are taking the exam within your school then yes, you should be using the same IDE's that you have been using throughout the year. I am not sure about your school, but at mine we have special exam accounts made and when we log in the IDE is there for us to use and our 'My Documents' folder contains all nessecary materials such as the skeleton program.
As for your question about the EAD (Electronic Answer Document), it is already pre-made for you. It is basically a word document formatted for you to easily enter your answers. Your teacher should have given it to you in early March but we have all been given a copy of the EAD so I have attached it to this post for you. Get used to the feel of the EAD so come the exam, you have already had experience with it. Remember that you get no extra time for printing out your answers so it is important that you can do it as efficiently as possible.

I hope this helped. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 2
helpppppppppppp me on these from the skeleton program 2012

Give the name of a follower used in a loop?

Give the name of a most recent holder used in a loop?
Sub Routines
Write down a function declaration used in the program
Write down a function call used in the program
Write down a procedure declaration used in the program
Give the name of a parameter used in a procedure
Explain the difference between using byRef and byVal
Why is Byref used in the ResetTopScores sub routine?
Write down where a return value for a function is assigned:

could you help me answer these
Reply 3
What programming language are you using? If it is Java or C# then I can help but I am not that experienced with anything else.
For your first two questions, go to page 66 in the AQA AS Computing text book - it has definitions of all different types of variables.
Reply 4
for comp 1 vb, i need help on these question for section c, please explain
these could be possible questions on section c
1)Give three reasons why this program has been structured with procedures/ function? (3 marks)
2) explain the function setpostionOfitem? (4 marks)
3) what is the difference between the training game and the real game? (3marks)
Reply 5
Original post by ME RASHED
for comp 1 vb, i need help on these question for section c, please explain
these could be possible questions on section c
1)Give three reasons why this program has been structured with procedures/ function? (3 marks)

Check out the mark scheme for Comp1 2009

2) explain the function setpostionOfitem? (4 marks)

Look closely at the code - it's quite easy to follow. You need to make sure that you have a good understanding of what all the code does. If you don't understand it, you really need to seek help from your teacher.

3) what is the difference between the training game and the real game? (3marks)

A bit of a daft question - the starting positions of the components are fixed in the training game and are random in the real game?
Reply 6
Original post by Oliver17
Hi there,

I too am taking COMP1 in June and the format of the exam is pretty simple. If you are taking the exam within your school then yes, you should be using the same IDE's that you have been using throughout the year. I am not sure about your school, but at mine we have special exam accounts made and when we log in the IDE is there for us to use and our 'My Documents' folder contains all nessecary materials such as the skeleton program.
As for your question about the EAD (Electronic Answer Document), it is already pre-made for you. It is basically a word document formatted for you to easily enter your answers. Your teacher should have given it to you in early March but we have all been given a copy of the EAD so I have attached it to this post for you. Get used to the feel of the EAD so come the exam, you have already had experience with it. Remember that you get no extra time for printing out your answers so it is important that you can do it as efficiently as possible.

Thank you sooooo much you've answered all my questions
Our damn teacher hasn't showed us that EAD -_- thanks again
Reply 7
Original post by fizzbizz
Thank you sooooo much you've answered all my questions
Our damn teacher hasn't showed us that EAD -_- thanks again

No problem :P Good luck to you!
Reply 8
When taking screenshots to show you've tested your code, what would the examiners like to see in the screenshot? The console inside the IDE? The console with the code showing too in the IDE? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by fizzbizz
When taking screenshots to show you've tested your code, what would the examiners like to see in the screenshot? The console inside the IDE? The console with the code showing too in the IDE? :s-smilie:

The screenshots just need to show the whatever is in console. Just make sure that the window is big enough to clearly show what it is they are asking for has been printed out.
Reply 10
If you notice mistakes on your paper and haven't got time to reprint will it be ok to just correct them in pen? Sounds daft, I know, but there seem to be so many rules and regulations!
Reply 11
Original post by lisamaria
If you notice mistakes on your paper and haven't got time to reprint will it be ok to just correct them in pen? Sounds daft, I know, but there seem to be so many rules and regulations!

I'd imagine everyone just has to print at the same time when the exam is over, or save the file in a place so invigilators print when you've all left. In either case the time would be up and you won't be able to make any alterations.
Reply 12
You're allowed to print during the exam but it has to be collected by a print monitor and all of your work has to be printed and collated before the exam is over. I was wondering if you had like three minutes left and noticed errors whilst you were checking if it would be ok to just correct them on the sheet.
Reply 13
Original post by D-Box
I'd imagine everyone just has to print at the same time when the exam is over, or save the file in a place so invigilators print when you've all left. In either case the time would be up and you won't be able to make any alterations.

Nope your printing has to be in the 2 hours which I see as a bit odd, it'll come to about 10 mins left and suddenly everyone will start printing, which is going to waste time for a lot of people I think :/
Reply 14
Try to print page by page, it will save time like iCiaran said. For example, when you have finished section A, print pages 1 - end of section A. It means that there won't be that final scramble for the printer. Unfortunately, if you don't print everything off before the exam is finished you won't be able to hand it in (that's my schools policy anyway).
Reply 15
Try to print page by page, it will save time like iCiaran said. For example, when you have finished section A, print pages 1 - end of section A. It means that there won't be that final scramble for the printer. Unfortunately, if you don't print everything off before the exam is finished you won't be able to hand it in (that's my schools policy anyway).

That's a really good idea, thanks for that :smile:
Reply 16
Hi there,

I know the long table will be hamming code, but what do you think the other small tables will be... dry run???

Quick Reply