The Student Room Group

Study English in Oxford. Which language school do you recommend me?

Hello mates.

I'm Jorge, from Spain.
I'm looking for a English school there in Oxford. Last year I went to Bournemouth on a summer English course for just one month and was great but was not enough to improve so much my language skills. Furthermore I think Bournemouth and this kind of coastal cities ar quite busy and sometimes crowded of tourists like me :biggrin: so now I'd prefer going to a city like Oxford.

I'm thinking to do other English course next summer, maybe for two months, because of that I'd like to find a good English school in Oxford (I mean, good teachers, school status and so on), I've been looking several school's websites and all of them looks great so I can't decide between them.

Other main point is the accommodation, in my opinion the best way to improve is being in a host family. What do you thing about that? Let me know your opinions.

Could you help me to find my target? :colondollar: I 'll appreciate any tip, recommendation, or advice.

PS: sorry about my spelling mistakes :redface:
I'll be following this thread - looking for a good language school for my monolingual mom who thinks it's embarrassing to speak english like a Danish 3rd-grader :smile:..
Reply 2
Hi AnimalSpirit!

Maybe this threat is not in the correct place. Any suggestion about our question please?

Thanks mates :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Jrgndk
Hello mates.

I'm Jorge, from Spain.
I'm looking for a English school there in Oxford. Last year I went to Bournemouth on a summer English course for just one month and was great but was not enough to improve so much my language skills. Furthermore I think Bournemouth and this kind of coastal cities ar quite busy and sometimes crowded of tourists like me :biggrin: so now I'd prefer going to a city like Oxford.

I'm thinking to do other English course next summer, maybe for two months, because of that I'd like to find a good English school in Oxford (I mean, good teachers, school status and so on), I've been looking several school's websites and all of them looks great so I can't decide between them.

Other main point is the accommodation, in my opinion the best way to improve is being in a host family. What do you thing about that? Let me know your opinions.

Could you help me to find my target? :colondollar: I 'll appreciate any tip, recommendation, or advice.

PS: sorry about my spelling mistakes :redface:

To be honest, I don't think this is the right forum for this question. While many private language schools run courses in Oxford and some of them rent space from Colleges or other parts of the University, they aren't associated with the University in any way academically so we have no way of telling which might be better. I wouldn't want to put you off coming to Oxford (which is a lovely city and worth at least a visit) but doing so in the hope that you will thus avoid tourists is likely to lead to disappointment, in that respect at least.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I know someone who's worked in language schools, and they'd recommend Eckersley and the Lake school :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by astro67
To be honest, I don't think this is the right forum for this question. While many private language schools run courses in Oxford and some of them rent space from Colleges or other parts of the University, they aren't associated with the University in any way academically so we have no way of telling which might be better. I wouldn't want to put you off coming to Oxford (which is a lovely city and worth at least a visit) but doing so in the hope that you will thus avoid tourists is likely to lead to disappointment, in that respect at least.

Hello! Thanks and sorry btw, I didn't realice this was the wrong place for my question.
I thought the University of Oxford would have an English school. Anyway there are interesting language schools in Oxford.

Original post by myling
I know someone who's worked in language schools, and they'd recommend Eckersley and the Lake school :smile:

Hi there! Thanks, I've visited both websites and look great, Lake School is awesome!
Reply 6
Original post by Jrgndk
Hello! Thanks and sorry btw, I didn't realice this was the wrong place for my question.
I thought the University of Oxford would have an English school. Anyway there are interesting language schools in Oxford.

Hi there! Thanks, I've visited both websites and look great, Lake School is awesome!

It does, in that you can study for a degree in English at Oxford, but that's not quite what you're looking for.

(Also, I should say, if you're looking for a city without many tourists, Oxford isn't that place. It's jolly full of them.)
Reply 7
Original post by Bax-man
It does, in that you can study for a degree in English at Oxford, but that's not quite what you're looking for.

(Also, I should say, if you're looking for a city without many tourists, Oxford isn't that place. It's jolly full of them.)

Hi Bax-man, thanks for your tips.

When I tell the point about the tourist maybe I didn't explain quite well, let me try again :biggrin:
Last year I went to an English course to Bournemouth during one month and it was great, interesting city, good school and great teachers. There was so many tourist and was great because we created a group on each person was from a different country, Brazilian, French, Italian, German... and was great because we were forced to speak in English to comunicate each other. So this sort of tourists is what I'm looking for.
But in Bournemouth there were so much Spaniards and many of them speaking in Spanish, in my opinion that's a waste of time and money, that's the kind of tourism I'm trying to avoid.

Anyway, do you recommend any other City in UK or other schools? Let me know if it is.

And like always, sorry for my spelling mistakes.
Reply 8
Original post by Jrgndk
Hi Bax-man, thanks for your tips.

When I tell the point about the tourist maybe I didn't explain quite well, let me try again :biggrin:
Last year I went to an English course to Bournemouth during one month and it was great, interesting city, good school and great teachers. There was so many tourist and was great because we created a group on each person was from a different country, Brazilian, French, Italian, German... and was great because we were forced to speak in English to comunicate each other. So this sort of tourists is what I'm looking for.
But in Bournemouth there were so much Spaniards and many of them speaking in Spanish, in my opinion that's a waste of time and money, that's the kind of tourism I'm trying to avoid.

Anyway, do you recommend any other City in UK or other schools? Let me know if it is.

And like always, sorry for my spelling mistakes.

Now I see.

I can't really speak for other English language schools or cities, having experienced none. All I will say for Oxford is that it is a wonderfully vibrant, bustling and cosmopolitan city (in large part because of the tourists, I think). There's everything you could possibly want in a city without it being overwhelming.
Reply 9
Thank you Bax-man, as you said, Oxford is a wonderful city so I think it's a good place to do an English course and interact with people form there and other foreign tourist :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest