The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lukas1051
Had my Southampton interview today... was definitely the most challenging one I've had so far, but I feel it went well. The 'presentation' was more of a discussion really (I was grilled on my research topic, so make sure you know it if you have a Southampton interview),and I was also asked to analyse some stuff (at one point my interviewer told me to sniff a rock :tongue:), but it was all quite relaxed :smile:

Ihad my interview a week ago and haven't heard anything yet. My interviewer told me I should get an offer, but I have no idea when they're planning to reply :s-smilie:

Hello There!

My name is Chloe and I'm new to TSR. I have a few questions about Geology, Universities, and the interview process and was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some help. Recently I have been given a few offers from my Uni choices (Bristol AAB, Plymouth 300 points, etc), however my main interest is in Southampton. My interview is on Wednesday 21st March, and I have been given instructions to prepare a research topic. In my 6th form there was no option to take Geology, so I have little previous knowledge in it, other than what I have looked into. Also I have never been in a "interview-like" situation. From looking around different websites etc, I see that Southampton's interview might be slightly different than other Universities.

In short, I am curious if anyone is able to give their opinion, or tell me their experience of the interview, or things to prepare for, (specifically how your presentation went, did you use any prompts, visuial aids etc?). I appreciate any and all help and advice given. I am also the only one within my 6th form that has chosen to do Geology, so my outside help is slightly limited. xD

Thank-you for reading this, and sorry for any "bad" english or grammer mistakes! TSR is amazing for the help it has given me so far, and this thread is brilliant! It's great to see so many other people here who have an interest in a Geo-related field. Anyhow I have rambled on enough, good luck to everyone with exams, and getting into their chosen University.

Southampton is one of (if not) my favourite University I could go to, and I would love the chance of getting an offer!

Cheers for everything all! :smile:

P.S If anyone has any advice on reading material or matters I should look into, I would welcome it greatly. I am currently reading The Earth (An Intimate History) - Richard Fortey!

(Lukas, sorry for the added quote. I jumped at the sight of seeing someone with SH knowledge :P I was curious on how soon you found out you were given an offer, and by what means? I assume via the post? :smile: Hope things are going well, Good luck with your exams and offers. Hope everyone on this thread are doing okay! Take care all! :biggrin:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChloeGemma
Hello There!

My name is Chloe and I'm new to TSR. I have a few questions about Geology, Universities, and the interview process and was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some help. Recently I have been given a few offers from my Uni choices (Bristol AAB, Plymouth 300 points, etc), however my main interest is in Southampton. My interview is on Wednesday 21st March, and I have been given instructions to prepare a research topic. In my 6th form there was no option to take Geology, so I have little previous knowledge in it, other than what I have looked into. Also I have never been in a "interview-like" situation. From looking around different websites etc, I see that Southampton's interview might be slightly different than other Universities.

In short, I am curious if anyone is able to give their opinion, or tell me their experience of the interview, or things to prepare for, (specifically how your presentation went, did you use any prompts, visuial aids etc?). I appreciate any and all help and advice given. I am also the only one within my 6th form that has chosen to do Geology, so my outside help is slightly limited. xD

Thank-you for reading this, and sorry for any "bad" english or grammer mistakes! TSR is amazing for the help it has given me so far, and this thread is brilliant! It's great to see so many other people here who have an interest in a Geo-related field. Anyhow I have rambled on enough, good luck to everyone with exams, and getting into their chosen University.

Southampton is one of (if not) my favourite University I could go to, and I would love the chance of getting an offer!

P.S If anyone has any advice on reading material or matters I should look into, I would welcome it greatly. I am currently reading The Earth (An Intimate History) - Richard Fortey!

(Lukas, sorry for the added quote. I jumped at the sight of seeing someone with SH knowledge :P I was curious on how soon you found out you were given an offer, and by what means? I assume via the post? :smile: Hope things are going well, Good luck with your exams and offers. Hope everyone on this thread are doing okay! Take care all! :biggrin:)

Hi, I'll be happy to help. I guess I'll just start by saying that I do not take A-level Geology either, it won't disadvantage you. In terms of a research topic I'd just choose something you find interesting (and is related to Geology of course). I did my research on the Snowball Earth hypothesis, a book I was reading (Supercontinent by Ted Nield, it's really good you should check it out) mentioned it, so I looked on the internet and just found out a bit more. I didn't do anything too hardcore, I don't think I looked much further than Wikipedia, you just have to be prepared to discuss it. I'm not sure where you might find some ideas, but general Geology books will have a lot of things you can research further.

In the interview the guy sort of asked me to briefly describe the theory and some evidence for it, and then we discussed the plausibility of the theory, it was more of a discussion than a presentation (although definitely led by me). I didn't use any visual aids or anything, I just memorised some notes, most people did. I remember one girl brought a laptop but I don't think she actually used it. All I would say is don't panic, it's a lot more relaxed than you probably think it will be and all the people were very friendly, and just make sure you've actually done the research (if you've researched something controversial be prepared for counter arguments etc.)

Southampton's a really great university and I was impressed when I went there, nice campus, a good department and friendly staff. It's also very reputable for Geology (especially as the department is a part of the National Oceanography Centre Southampton, you'll find out more about that when you visit), for these reasons I've made it my insurance choice.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! If you need any more advice then just ask :smile:
Hello There!

It's quite informal, you'll be taken into one of the office of whoever is interviewing you and you'll just have a chat about your application (they'll have a copy of your personal statement and predicted grades in front of them). Then you will be asked to talk on your chosen topic, your interviewer may ask questions. Mine proceed to show me a powerpoint on his computer about my topic, as he'd just been to a conference about it. They'll fill in a sheet of paper as you go.

I really want to read The Earth, but haven't got around to it get, will probably give it a go after exams. I've also got Survivors sitting unread on my shelf...
Reply 883
Hello There!

Hey :smile:
Having not studied geology before I was pretty terrified for my interview and the whole presentation. I took the word "presentation" to mean discussion, so I hadn't actually prepared all that much (I did mine on the african rift valley) and I talked for about 3 minutes. My interviewer was a professor on something completely different to my topic, so I didnt get asked any questions on it or anything. I didn't have any prompts or objects or anything. It was really relaxed and afterwards I was asked some simple questions on some geography related things. We didn't even discuss my personal statement that much!!
They were all really friendly there I found and I found out I had an offer by email the next day :smile:
Good luck! :smile:
Hey, I've applied for geology this year as well and was wondering do most uni's reply with an interview. I have got offers from all of my choices without doing a presentation, and was wondering whether this could be cause I live abroad.

Also are there any good books to read about geology that would be recommended?
:smile:
Reply 885
Original post by Biffmanz
I got my results yesterday, 116/120 in Chemistry, 75/80 in Geography and 76/100 in Maths. If my Imperial offer is A*AA, do you think they'd let me in with A*A*B? :')

Not a chance.
Reply 886
Original post by Katherine600
Hey, I've applied for geology this year as well and was wondering do most uni's reply with an interview. I have got offers from all of my choices without doing a presentation, and was wondering whether this could be cause I live abroad.

Also are there any good books to read about geology that would be recommended?
:smile:

Where did you apply?

Southampton's a really great university and I was impressed when I went there, nice campus, a good department and friendly staff. It's also very reputable for Geology (especially as the department is a part of the National Oceanography Centre Southampton, you'll find out more about that when you visit), for these reasons I've made it my insurance choice.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! If you need any more advice then just ask :smile:

(To everyone that replied back to my post, thank you very much! I appreciate all the advice that was given, and the quick response! Cheers all! :biggrin:)

Hey There Lukas!

Thank you for replying back quickly to my post, definetely helped calmed my worries. I was wondering if I could ask you a few more questions regarding Southampton specifically, mainly post-interview phrase. I wasn't sure if I should PM you or leave a message here lol :smile:

Anyhow I'm currently in work at the moment, so I will probably just PM you later. However my most pressing question is (if it is all right to ask, no problem if you do not want to say at all), how long did it take for you to hear back from Southampton after your interview with your offer, and was it via email or post?

Cheers for any respone! I've got to head off now, but talk to everyone soon, take care all!

Thanks Lukas for any feedback you might say, have a great day! :biggrin: x
(To everyone that replied back to my post, thank you very much! I appreciate all the advice that was given, and the quick response! Cheers all! :biggrin:)

Hey There Lukas!

Thank you for replying back quickly to my post, definetely helped calmed my worries. I was wondering if I could ask you a few more questions regarding Southampton specifically, mainly post-interview phrase. I wasn't sure if I should PM you or leave a message here lol :smile:

Anyhow I'm currently in work at the moment, so I will probably just PM you later. However my most pressing question is (if it is all right to ask, no problem if you do not want to say at all), how long did it take for you to hear back from Southampton after your interview with your offer, and was it via email or post?

Cheers for any respone! I've got to head off now, but talk to everyone soon, take care all!

Hi, yeah feel free to PM me with any questions you have (my real name's Luke by the way :smile:) I'll be happy to answer as best I can. I think I found out first when my UCAS updated and then after that I received a letter and email. I honestly can't remember which came first though, but I knew I would receive an offer because at the end of the interview the guy said they would most likely give me one (that's not to say if you're not told then you'll be rejected, it depends on your interviewer I guess).

Hey There Lukas!

I had my interview on the 07/12/2011, and got my offer on the 15/12/2011 (:
Original post by hash007
Where did you apply?

Southampton, Bristol, Leeds, Aberdeen and Leicester
Original post by Biffmanz
I got my results yesterday, 116/120 in Chemistry, 75/80 in Geography and 76/100 in Maths. If my Imperial offer is A*AA, do you think they'd let me in with A*A*B? :')

You might have a chance, depends what you think you'll get the B in. If it's geography rather than maths/chemistry then maybe but with your maths as it is I'd be surprised. Also depends how many get the grades for your course come results day but being Imperial I wouldn't get your hopes up:frown:

Is your offer for a master's course, only I got an AAA offer but for the BSc?
Reply 892
Original post by carsonator
You might have a chance, depends what you think you'll get the B in. If it's geography rather than maths/chemistry then maybe but with your maths as it is I'd be surprised. Also depends how many get the grades for your course come results day but being Imperial I wouldn't get your hopes up:frown:

Is your offer for a master's course, only I got an AAA offer but for the BSc?

I'm still on an A overall so I should be okay, I was just pondering :')

No I applied the BSc too, they must have liked you more :wink:
Oh sorry, feel bad for asking now :frown: Good look anyway for the summer exams :smile:
Reply 894
Hello!

I need some help with my choices. I am applying for geophysics, and my five choices are, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Southampton and Leeds. Which ones should I put as my firm and insurance?

About my choices, I have got unconditional offers from UCL, Southampton and Leeds while the other two are still conditional (I missed the offer from Imperial though :bawling:).

On a side note, I am not from the UK. So, I am not able to go for the open day for the unis :sad:. Durham is a bit like where I am from so I do not mind choosing it. UCL seems interesting, you know, living in London :P
Reply 895
Hi :smile:

Just wondering, how are keele and exeter unis at geology? I'm quite doubtful of my abilities, but not yet finished AS levels yet, and just looking at prospective unis :P keele was really high on one of the uni guides I was looking at for geology, and exeter its hard to find in league tables and uni guides.

Quickly browsing over other peoples posts, people aiming for imperial and oxbridge etc, good luck to you :smile: :thumbsup:
Original post by Crimmy

Just wondering, how are keele and exeter unis at geology? I'm quite doubtful of my abilities, but not yet finished AS levels yet, and just looking at prospective unis :P keele was really high on one of the uni guides I was looking at for geology, and exeter its hard to find in league tables and uni guides.

Quickly browsing over other peoples posts, people aiming for imperial and oxbridge etc, good luck to you :smile: :thumbsup:

I don't know a great deal about either, but I believe Exeter is better than Keele. Keele is probably mid ranking whereas Exeter is a bit better, you'd be part of the Camborne School of Mines which has a lot of links to industry, especially the mining industry if this is where you see yourself working in the future. But as I said I don't really know about either, you'd be better speaking to any current students if there are any around (I'd really recommend open days). I really find league tables hard to trust (especially the Guardian) so don't put too much faith in them.

What grades are you looking to get? Geology is not hugely competitive, entry grades tend to be relatively low compared to other subjects so you can potentially do better than you think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 897
Original post by Crimmy

I used to study at Keele and I really did not like the department or the university. Exeter is better for geology anyway. The CSM has a good rep and links with the industry.
Reply 898
I don't know a great deal about either, but I believe Exeter is better than Keele. Keele is probably mid ranking whereas Exeter is a bit better, you'd be part of the Camborne School of Mines which has a lot of links to industry, especially the mining industry if this is where you see yourself working in the future. But as I said I don't really know about either, you'd be better speaking to any current students if there are any around (I'd really recommend open days). I really find league tables hard to trust (especially the Guardian) so don't put too much faith in them.

What grades are you looking to get? Geology is not hugely competitive, entry grades tend to be relatively low compared to other subjects so you can potentially do better than you think.

I dont know, had a few things effecting my first st of AS ersults and got B,C,E, from chemistry, physics and maths respectively. Although I did get 5A*s and 4A's at gcse... I'm resitting the physics and maths, and the thing effecting me in january isnt effecting me as much anymore, so I'm hoping I'll do better this summer. and I'm hopping to get something around the ABB mark at the the end of year 13, although not sure at all what I'll actually get.

Original post by Zottula
I used to study at Keele and I really did not like the department or the university. Exeter is better for geology anyway. The CSM has a good rep and links with the industry.

ok, thanks :smile:
Original post by Crimmy
I dont know, had a few things effecting my first st of AS ersults and got B,C,E, from chemistry, physics and maths respectively. Although I did get 5A*s and 4A's at gcse... I'm resitting the physics and maths, and the thing effecting me in january isnt effecting me as much anymore, so I'm hoping I'll do better this summer. and I'm hopping to get something around the ABB mark at the the end of year 13, although not sure at all what I'll actually get.

ABB can get you onto quite a few good courses, I received a ABB offer from Birmingham and they seemed really good, I believe Liverpool and Royal Holloway, and perhaps even Edinburgh (some other places I considered) ask for ABB as well. I think UEA do too - they have a really good reputation for earth science and especially climate science (well, if you ignore the climategate scandal which was a smear campaign anyway). If the thing that has been affecting you if serious enough to be considered extenuating circumstances you might even be able to get onto some better courses. I've heard lots of good things about Exeter though.

I personally would wait until you receive your AS results before making these decisions (although obviously it's good to look now), see where you stand in regards to courses you can realistically get on to. Your GCSE grades are very good, so you're clearly quite an intelligent person. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest