The Student Room Group

University 'ammended' their offer this week:S

My firm Uni offer is BBC, and I just need a B in Physics to fulfil this.
3 other Unis want ABB which I'm not taking enough exams to fulfil (and tbh I wouldn't want any of them as my firm, even if they asked for BBC, because I like the Uni offering BBC alot..).
BUT the Uni I could have as my insurance asked for BB (B in Physics), & I thought incase I just missed my B in Physics (not going to happen, but for the sake of extreme circumstances and pessimism...), they could be swayed into still accepting me because I'd have 4 good A Levels as opposed to just 2 that they're asking for if that makes sense. Perhaps.
I've already got a B in Maths, so just need 1 more B (has to be in Physics).

However, my dilemma is that-although they asked for BB (Physics & another A Level) a couple months ago, they 'amended' my offer last week saying it excludes Maths because I already have a B, and they want 3 A Levels. So I have to get a B in my 3rd A Level.

My problem is-are they even allowed to do that?

I sent my application to them on 15th Jan, so they've known for a good few months that I received a B in Maths (Aug 2011). Why have they only noticed this now?! Can they amend my offer because they can't read my form properly the first time?
Reply 1
Original post by Preetinder
3 other Unis want ABB which I'm not taking enough exams to fulfil (and tbh I wouldn't want any of them as my firm, even if they asked for BBC, because I like the Uni offering BBC alot..).
BUT the Uni I could have as my insurance asked for BB (B in Physics), & I thought incase I just missed my B in Physics (not going to happen, but for the sake of extreme circumstances and pessimism...), they could be swayed into still accepting me because I'd have 4 good A Levels as opposed to just 2 that they're asking for if that makes sense. Perhaps.

However, my dilemma is that-although they asked for BB (Physics & another A Level) a couple months ago, they 'amended' my offer last week saying it excludes Maths because I already have a B, and they want 3 A Levels. So I have to get a B in my 3rd A Level.

I sent my application to them on 15th Jan, so they've known for a good few months that I received a B in Maths (Aug 2011). Why have they only noticed this now?! Can they amend my offer because they can't read my form properly the first time?

Unfortunately yes they can. They can change their requirements at any time. Annoying I know!
Reply 2
Original post by Pawsies
Unfortunately yes they can. They can change their requirements at any time. Annoying I know!

im not so sure this is true, if you have already accepted it as the insurance before they change it, then you have already accepted their terms
Reply 3
Original post by Pawsies

THankyou! :'(

Original post by kopite493
im not so sure this is true, if you have already accepted it as the insurance before they change it, then you have already accepted their terms

Too bad I didn't accept it :s-smilie: Not sure why I kept delaying choosing my firm and insurance :\ But thank you!
Reply 4
THankyou! :'(

Too bad I didn't accept it :s-smilie: Not sure why I kept delaying choosing my firm and insurance :\ But thank you!

oh in that case they can change it sorry :/

guess its true what they say 'early bird gets the worm'
Reply 5

I think the offer you have now is what they intended all along, but wanted to clarify. Yes doing maths early is good, but it's not worth 2 A Levels. It'd be very odd for a university to give an offer based on 2 A Levels only. You might have had cause to fight it, but would probably have lost as it is easily arguable from their standpoint that they made an error and you hadn't even accepted it.

They essentially wanted BBB, but since you already had a B they said BB. When they said that though, they should have said "We'd like BBB, but since you've already got a B in maths we just want a further BB from you".
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending