The Student Room Group

Claiming JSA while waiting on a start date?

Are you allowed to do this? I finished my previous job on Friday (temporary contract) and, while I do have another job lined up, I don't start working there until mid-May.

I intend to claim JSA for these few weeks in between but I'm wondering if I'm technically allowed to do so or if I should just not mention the fact that I have a job when I go for the meeting with them. Or maybe just come clean and agree to look for work in the intervening weeks? (As silly as that sounds)

Anyone been in this situation? Can't find any info on it on the JSA website.

Scroll to see replies

Even if you can, what's the point? It'll take effort to fill out any forms, time to process your application, by which time you'll get 1 week's worth of JSA (maybe 2 if you're lucky) which is like 50 or 60 quid.
Reply 2
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Even if you can, what's the point? It'll take effort to fill out any forms, time to process your application, by which time you'll get 1 week's worth of JSA (maybe 2 if you're lucky) which is like 50 or 60 quid.

Your claim starts from the day you submit the form though doesn't it? So I'd have at least 3 weeks worth. Doesn't seem like a lot (just over £150) but I'm definitely donna need it...especially considering I don't think I'm gonna get my first payment from my new job until the end of June. :redface:
Reply 3
Are you actively looking for work in between?
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student

To be perfectly honest I wasn't planning on it. It just seems really unlikely that I'd be able to find a job for such a short amount of time. I really need the money though and have been (and will be) paying it all back in tax. This is what I'm paying taxes for isn't it!?

If I do let them know and agree to continue looking/applying for jobs can they turn me away?
Reply 5

I'm assuming from the neg and the lack of reply that you disapprove? Fair enough.

Anyone willing to give a more helpful answer? I don't want to be dishonest but I also don't want to go through the whole application process and get to the meeting to be told that they can't help me.
Reply 6
Original post by Joe-89
To be perfectly honest I wasn't planning on it. It just seems really unlikely that I'd be able to find a job for such a short amount of time. I really need the money though and have been (and will be) paying it all back in tax. This is what I'm paying taxes for isn't it!?

If I do let them know and agree to continue looking/applying for jobs can they turn me away?

So basically, your planning on committing benefit fraud? Leave it off.

There are people out there who can't get a job AT ALL. Coun't your lucky stars you have one waiting for you and don't be so selfish.
Reply 7
So it's fraudulent and selfish to want financial help from the state I pay taxes to during a period of unemployment?

As far as I'm aware, if you get a job offer while you are claiming you are able to receive money up until the day you start work. How is this any different?
Reply 8
You have to apply for jobs to get the benefit- hence why it is called JSA.

You wouldn't get away with it. When I go for my sign on the randomly pick two jobs that I have applied for, ask me to take them to the advertisement and contact the company while I'm there to ensure im doing what I'm suppose too.

Doesn't happen all the time.

Why do you "need" the money? Do you live alone and therefore unable to pay for housing and food without it?! Im sure if your homeless or will be without it you would entitled to different benefit.
Reply 9
Original post by BHS12
You have to apply for jobs to get the benefit- hence why it is called JSA.

You wouldn't get away with it. When I go for my sign on the randomly pick two jobs that I have applied for, ask me to take them to the advertisement and contact the company while I'm there to ensure im doing what I'm suppose too.

Doesn't happen all the time.

Why do you "need" the money? Do you live alone and therefore unable to pay for housing and food without it?! Im sure if your homeless or will be without it you would entitled to different benefit.

I've already said that I will apply for jobs if need be.

Original post by Joe-89

I just think (and I'm sure you'd agree) that I'm unlikely to find one that is willing to take me on for such a short time. Unless you're suggesting I lie to the employers I apply to.

All I'm asking is whether or not the Job Centre will deny me JSA because I have a job starting in the next month and am unlikely to secure employment in the meantime.

Trust me, I can't really afford to go for a few weeks without any income whatsoever, especially as my next income is potentially two whole months away.
Reply 10
I doubt they will. Theyre hardly willing to give it to the long tearm unemployed.

I guess it wouldnt hurt to ring the claim line and find out (don't go direct to your job centre they will just tell you to ring the number) but I doubt it very, very much.

Not to mention I think it took nearly 5 weeks for me to receive my first payment.
Reply 11
Original post by Joe-89
Are you allowed to do this? I finished my previous job on Friday (temporary contract) and, while I do have another job lined up, I don't start working there until mid-May.

I intend to claim JSA for these few weeks in between but I'm wondering if I'm technically allowed to do so or if I should just not mention the fact that I have a job when I go for the meeting with them. Or maybe just come clean and agree to look for work in the intervening weeks? (As silly as that sounds)

Anyone been in this situation? Can't find any info on it on the JSA website.

Unlike some of the others, I don't think this is at all unreasonable. I'm assuming that the job you have starting in mid-May is a fixed start date, so you don't have the option of starting sooner? If you do have that option, then clearly no you shouldn't claim JSA. However if you don't, then why the hell not?

He's unemployed in the interim and has no income, why should he not claim until such time as his new job begins. Like he mentioned himself, he's a tax payer and this is a period of unemployment, this is surely exactly what the system is intended for? He's not chosen to be out of work?

While I don't think it is morally wrong, I do think you might struggle as the rules seem to stipulate you must be actively searching for a job. I myself am leaving university in approximately a month and while I have a graduate position confirmed it doesn't start until September. That's over 3 months from when I finish. So I'd be interested to hear how this works out for you, as I might consider it if I can't get something part time in the interim (admittedly with mine being a longer gap, I would expect myself to look for work to fill the time).

:wink:
Reply 12
Original post by M1011
Unlike some of the others, I don't think this is at all unreasonable. I'm assuming that the job you have starting in mid-May is a fixed start date, so you don't have the option of starting sooner? If you do have that option, then clearly no you shouldn't claim JSA. However if you don't, then why the hell not?

He's unemployed in the interim and has no income, why should he not claim until such time as his new job begins. Like he mentioned himself, he's a tax payer and this is a period of unemployment, this is surely exactly what the system is intended for? He's not chosen to be out of work?

While I don't think it is morally wrong, I do think you might struggle as the rules seem to stipulate you must be actively searching for a job. I myself am leaving university in approximately a month and while I have a graduate position confirmed it doesn't start until September. That's over 3 months from when I finish. So I'd be interested to hear how this works out for you, as I might consider it if I can't get something part time in the interim (admittedly with mine being a longer gap, I would expect myself to look for work to fill the time).

:wink:

Thanks. I rang the JSA people this morning and they told me that I can claim as long as I do actively seek work (which I will...not much I can do, but I can ring my previous employer to check if they need me for another few weeks and ring my future employer to see if I can come in early to do filing etc. before my start date).

They also said it's important to do so because it affects your National Insurance contributions. If you are unemployed for a time and don't claim it's possible that you won't pay enough NI and they may ask you to pay voluntary contributions to make it up (so by not taking money you'll have to pay more in NI...madness!). This probably won't affect me (though it's still important not to have any gaps, however small) but it might affect you if you're out of work for a few months so you should definitely claim.

Another thing they said was about student loan repayments. I'm assuming you have a student loan? If so, it's important that you are claiming because if you appear to have no income, the SLC can become suspicious of how you are supporting yourself and even begin to suspect that you have left the country without paying them! You can run the risk of a hefty fine from them if you don't keep them informed and all this can be avoided by claiming JSA, as HMRC will then inform SLC that you are registered unemployed. (I actually got a warning letter about this from SLC a few months ago when I was between jobs for one week :s-smilie:)

Hope that helps. I've just submitted my form anyway!
Original post by Joe-89
They also said it's important to do so because it affects your National Insurance contributions. If you are unemployed for a time and don't claim it's possible that you won't pay enough NI and they may ask you to pay voluntary contributions to make it up (so by not taking money you'll have to pay more in NI...madness!). This probably won't affect me (though it's still important not to have any gaps, however small) but it might affect you if you're out of work for a few months so you should definitely claim.

:s-smilie: Surely, you'd only be affected if you're in your 40s or 50s? You need 30 years NI for a full state pension. If you're young, then should not matter.
:s-smilie: Surely, you'd only be affected if you're in your 40s or 50s? You need 30 years NI for a full state pension. If you're young, then should not matter.

This. As long as when you reach retirement age you have 30 years worth of NI you'll be fine.

As for the JSA, yeah claim it but make sure you actively seek work. Also just so you know the first payment can take a while to get to you, so you may be signing off before you get your payment. It will come eventually but don't be surprised if you don't get it for a few weeks.
Original post by BHS12
So basically, your planning on committing benefit fraud? Leave it off.

There are people out there who can't get a job AT ALL. Coun't your lucky stars you have one waiting for you and don't be so selfish.

It isn't benefit fraud. JSA is designed to support people trying to get into work - why should the original poster be penalised because he has been successful in looking for a job? If you receive a job offer, your JSA stops the day that you begin the job, not the day you receive the offer (otherwise it would of course deter people from taking any job that doesn't start immediately).
(edited 12 years ago)
Technically it may be allowed as long as if another job comes up even if its a basic one you take it and if you dont you lose money.

I remember when I was at uni and told them I was supposed to start 2nd semester but then a month before they stopped my money(they assumed Iw as full time already) so that caused me to be too stressed to start and meant I signed on longer!!! Silly system.
If they do make you apply for a job (which is likely as it's job seekers allowance, not doss around at home allowance) you could always submit a crappy CV and flunk the interviews if the job you've already got is better.
Original post by Chumbaniya
It isn't benefit fraud. JSA is designed to support people trying to get into work - why should the original poster be penalised because he has been successful in looking for a job?

My guess is BHS12 assumes that since the OP has a job, they won't actively seek work since they already have a job. If they don't look for work then yes, it would be fraud. If they do look for work, it won't be.

EDIT: Why the neg? There's nowt in my post that's not true :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Joe-89
Thanks. I rang the JSA people this morning and they told me that I can claim as long as I do actively seek work (which I will...not much I can do, but I can ring my previous employer to check if they need me for another few weeks and ring my future employer to see if I can come in early to do filing etc. before my start date).

Another thing they said was about student loan repayments. I'm assuming you have a student loan? If so, it's important that you are claiming because if you appear to have no income, the SLC can become suspicious of how you are supporting yourself and even begin to suspect that you have left the country without paying them! You can run the risk of a hefty fine from them if you don't keep them informed and all this can be avoided by claiming JSA, as HMRC will then inform SLC that you are registered unemployed. (I actually got a warning letter about this from SLC a few months ago when I was between jobs for one week :s-smilie:)

Hope that helps. I've just submitted my form anyway!

Yikes, sounds like there isn't much choice in it then! Thanks for the info :wink:

Out of interest (to late for me now :tongue:) but are students entitled to claim during the summer if they are looking for work? Just wondering how it works.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending