The Student Room Group

Can I withdraw from an AS Resit and still keep my original grade?

I know this might be a stupid question but I just want to make sure.

My situation is that I took the English Language AS exam last summer, I was 2 marks off a B, Resat it again in January and went down a grade because I was ill on the day of the exam (Not cool) I put myself down for resitting it next month but I think it will just be added stress to my other 6 exams :|

Anyone know if it's too late to withdraw from the exam? I need a C overall which I achieved at AS and just need to concentrate on the A2 exam!

Its the WJEC exam board.
Reply 1
Original post by Meowxxx

My situation is that I took the English Language AS exam last summer, I was 2 marks off a B, Resat it again in January and went down a grade because I was ill on the day of the exam (Not cool) I put myself down for resitting it next month but I think it will just be added stress to my other 6 exams :|

Anyone know if it's too late to withdraw from the exam? I need a C overall which I achieved at AS and just need to concentrate on the A2 exam!

Its the WJEC exam board.

Go speak to your exam officer or the person in charge. I'm sure they will we able to withdraw you from the exam but I know on some exam boards if you do worse you keep your original grade which I guess isn't the case with WJEC.
Reply 2
Yep, that would be okay. You'll just keep the highest mark (at least in most cases.)
I believe you can if you are continuing with the subject to A2. I don't know about the WJEC exam board, but we were told in my college that if you weren't carrying the subject to A2 that you had to reject your grade for that exam and take whatever you got in the resit - even if it went down.
It never sounded right to me, and anyone who knows this to be not true can feel free to correct me. But that's what we were told. But it seems like you're carrying on to A2 anyway, so it's not an issue.

I believe that you will lose any money you paid for the exam though (if you did, we were made to pay for our own).
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Young
Go speak to your exam officer or the person in charge. I'm sure they will we able to withdraw you from the exam but I know on some exam boards if you do worse you keep your original grade which I guess isn't the case with WJEC.

no, no I still got to keep my C thankfully! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Meowxxx

Its the WJEC exam board.

Hmmm... Like the other person said, if you don't feel like it, just speak to the exams officers although I can't gurantee that you will get a full refund (if you already paid)
But I would recommend you to still do the retake and just put minimal amount of work into it (or an amount that won't affect your other 6 exams) this is just in case you have a bad day on one of your other exams, besides what harm can it do :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by minimarshmallow
I believe you can if you are continuing with the subject to A2. I don't know about the WJEC exam board, but we were told in my college that if you weren't carrying the subject to A2 that you had to reject your grade for that exam and take whatever you got in the resit - even if it went down.
It never sounded right to me, and anyone who knows this to be not true can feel free to correct me. But that's what we were told. But it seems like you're carrying on to A2 anyway, so it's not an issue.

I believe that you will lose any money you paid for the exam though (if you did, we were made to pay for our own).

Yeah I only took 3 AS subjects anyway so I had to carry it on :smile: I know I should of thought about it more carefully before I paid the £20! thanks!
Reply 7
Yeah you can withdraw, I got a B in my AS Drama in June, was entered for the re-sit in January and decided straight after the Christmas holidays I didn't want to do it, so I literally gave them three weeks notice and it was fine :smile: and this was on WJEC. They'll keep your highest mark so you'll be fine, although when you get your results for other exams, it may show up on your slip with "x" next to it - don't worry, it's just them saying you weren't there for the exam, they'll still keep your original grade.
Reply 8
Original post by Meowxxx

Its the WJEC exam board.

For all domestic A levels, you can re-sit as often as you like and the better/best grade you get will count. Entering and then withdrawing from re-sits has no effect on it at all, nor does cashing-in or continuing or not continuing to A2.

You can withdraw from an exam right up to the exam itself (and beyond). Unfortunately the deadline for getting a refund was last Saturday (21st April) so you won't get any money back if you withdraw.
Reply 9
Thank you all! Very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest