The Student Room Group

Should the 'women and children first' rule still apply when a ship is sinking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jcon1
what planet are you on? Ship isnt the same as the whole human race has died/long generations space travel. Regardless, there are around 52% Women and 48% men, so with your own argument it makes more sense to save the Children and Men for reproduction than Women and Children. Obviously that wouldn't happen but you know what i mean..
TL;DR: Artificial Insemination on a life raft = dumb.

which part of "I'm not saying I agree with it" did you not understand?
Reply 261
Original post by kuteascake
So, it's been 100 years since the Titanic sank and it's got me thinking. Is the 'women and children first' rule (which isn't always practiced or enforced when a ship is sinking anyway) outdated?

Personally, it strikes me as kind of sexist- why should a woman's life be worth more than that of a man? Us girls are constantly complaining that we still aren't treated as complete equals to men, but surely things like this unwritten rule are hindering our achievement of equality?

I know that if I were on board a sinking ship, I'd give up my space on a lifeboat for somebody else, but I wonder how many others actually would?

Anyway, I'm just interested to know what you guys think; should it be every man for himself, the most vulnerable first or should the captain still order men to step aside for women and children?

Discuss :biggrin:

Why? Is there life more important than yours?
Reply 262
Original post by hannaaahlima
which part of "I'm not saying I agree with it" did you not understand?

I'm not saying you do believe it, I'm saying that artificial insemination is not 'reproducing without men' as you put it.
Reply 263
Original post by kka25
Once a lassie bashes you psychologically/mentally/physically/whatnot, then you might change your views on this.

nope ive had a full on smacking around the face from what was a woman(barely) but i did not retaliate with force
Reply 264
Original post by Dan3va
nope ive had a full on smacking around the face from what was a woman(barely) but i did not retaliate with force

Good for you. How did you retaliate then?
Get some more experience on mentally/psychologically now :wink:
Original post by Hypocrism
Exactly. And the average man will be able to stay afloat without drowning for longer than the average woman, and also have a greater resistance to cold (having a larger body with greater resources). They also might have to construct a raft out of debris, which could involve physical force like snapping something off. From a utilitarian point of view it makes perfect sense.

but women float better than men and if unconscious they tend to float on their backs (boobs are bouyant) whereas men tend to float face down.
If anyone's taking a swim it should be a woman :colone:
Reply 266
It should be the disabled and children with a carer who are a priority (regardless as to whether they're a man or a woman) above anything, as they are the most vulnerable groups of people. I think it's funny that I haven't seen anyone thinking that disabled people should be able to get on first yet :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 267
yes
Original post by Joinedup
but women float better than men and if unconscious they tend to float on their backs (boobs are bouyant) whereas men tend to float face down.
If anyone's taking a swim it should be a woman :colone:

Haha, I like your reasoning, but I don't think anybody floats when they are unconscious. Two reasons: firstly, when you're not using your muscles of inspiration the elastic recoil of the lungs causes them to expire so that you don't have an inflated thorax. Secondly, the extra pressure of water will further collapse your lungs and you won't float while unconscious :wink:

But in any case, a man on average would be expected to stay conscious for longer.
Reply 269
Original post by tufc
So men are physically stronger than women. Does that make it alright for the Police to favour men in their recruitment process? My guess is you'll say that it's not OK.

Double standards, typical feminist :cool:

No, that's not alright. As I'm sure you're aware, the role of the police is not merely to act as an aggressive force. I think making that comparison is rather pointless.
Reply 270
Original post by GnomeyD
No, that's not alright. As I'm sure you're aware, the role of the police is not merely to act as an aggressive force. I think making that comparison is rather pointless.

I don't see the relevance of that. The point is that you want a two-tier system when it benefits women, but not when it doesn't. You feminists can't claim to be all 'strong and independent', and demand equality in society, but then cry vulnerability when it comes to matters of life and death.If you live by the sword, you die by the sword.
Reply 271
Original post by Cll_ws
Even if I was a single, world famous scientist, close to finding a cure for cancer. and the family was a non-working, benefit receiving couple with 5 children (8 if you include the two that were taken off them, and the one in prison)? :lol:

ooooh...didn't think of that! haha well done :smile: obviously the scientist, but isn't that principle also similar to rich vs. poor? People who are 'worth' more should go first?
Reply 272
Original post by tufc
I don't see the relevance of that. The point is that you want a two-tier system when it benefits women, but not when it doesn't. You feminists can't claim to be all 'strong and independent', and demand equality in society, but then cry vulnerability when it comes to matters of life and death.If you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

The relevance of it is, that you don't simply employ police officers on account of physical strength. Therefore it is irrelevant to make the comparison between the police force and the sinking of a ship. Actually, I don;t want a two-tier system. If you read my original post correctly you would see I said it was patronising for women to be classed as vulnerable as children. If I was in the situation where I was aboard a sinking ship, I would feel just as much right to a place on a lifeboat as a man. All I did say was that it was logical for a mother to accompany her child on to a lifeboat. Any reasonable father I would assume would prefer to go into the sea himself rather than put his wife and children in that situation so that he could survive. And I really do not see the relevance of that quote at the end.
Personally i am all for women and children first, its the gentlemanly thing to do but then again hey every man for himself aye :rolleyes:
I think children and elderly people should be first. As for men or women , I think it should depend on their stength and ability to survive.
Reply 275
Original post by GnomeyD
The relevance of it is, that you don't simply employ police officers on account of physical strength. Therefore it is irrelevant to make the comparison between the police force and the sinking of a ship. Actually, I don;t want a two-tier system. If you read my original post correctly you would see I said it was patronising for women to be classed as vulnerable as children. If I was in the situation where I was aboard a sinking ship, I would feel just as much right to a place on a lifeboat as a man. All I did say was that it was logical for a mother to accompany her child on to a lifeboat. Any reasonable father I would assume would prefer to go into the sea himself rather than put his wife and children in that situation so that he could survive. And I really do not see the relevance of that quote at the end.

So you claim that women and men are equal, but simultaneously claim that women are more important to children than men are?
i really cant tell...people who contributed more in the society normally should be the ones to get in the boat but still seems unfair,for example if you had Einstein and a "village" lady with a kid who would you let in the boat?
Reply 277
Original post by almalibre11111
i really cant tell...people who contributed more in the society normally should be the ones to get in the boat but still seems unfair,for example if you had Einstein and a "village" lady with a kid who would you let in the boat?

No. When faced with disaster & death, humans (whether we like to think we're a 'higher species' or not) act upon instinct. This means, survival of the fittest. Ship sinking? Every man for himself, then help the others.
I don't think anyone should be forced to stay on the ship to help others get off. I can partially understand the 'helping the children' part of this, since some of them would be too young to even have a chance of surviving; but why should women go first? As others have said, this is a tad sexist. In situations like these men have hardly any advantages over the other sex. Why not privilege physically weaker men over stronger men then?...
Although some will disagree, if I were on a sinking ship, I would run my a*se off to get to safety, regardless of what the 'rules of the ship' are - and no, that isn't selfish, it's natural.
Why should women be given priority ? They always complain about being discriminated against men , and they demand for equality which they have in today's society . So , since they have equal rights , therefore why should they now expect to be given priority ahead of men ? Children first , then its 1st come 1st saved , period ! But in reality , its harder for a man to jump for a life boat whilst leaving behind a woman , so its human nature guys . Its an interesting dilemma that no one can solve . Women are stupid creatures at times but come on guys , when such a tragedy is happening , they are all over the place , screaming , tears trimming down , you are left with no choice but to let them first but as soon as they are safe , they start complaining why it took so long to be rescued ...women !
Yes, Woman and Children should be protected.

I don't care whether people want to be in denial about it, but both women and children are physically weaker and more vulnerable then men are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending