The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is it possible to change courses at LSE.

Hello,

I have an offer to start an undergraduate course at LSE (starting 2012), and was wondering how easy it is to change courses while you're there, or even beforehand. I've been having doubts over my current choice, and am now considering either history or law.

When would be the appropriate time to contact them about this?

Thanks,
Reply 1
What course do you have an offer for? Usually, you can switch kind of easily within a department, but I think it's a bit harder between departments. Looking at the courses you want to switch to, it is obvious those are outside of your current department, so it may be difficult. I don't think I've heard of anyone switching at the beginning of the year, usually people tend to switch going into their second year. I suggest contacting the head of your current department/head of the new department to see what they have to say? I am honestly unsure of the whole procedure for switching course, but hopefully this kind of helps? haha, good luck! :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by avash27
What course do you have an offer for? Usually, you can switch kind of easily within a department, but I think it's a bit harder between departments. Looking at the courses you want to switch to, it is obvious those are outside of your current department, so it may be difficult. I don't think I've heard of anyone switching at the beginning of the year, usually people tend to switch going into their second year. I suggest contacting the head of your current department/head of the new department to see what they have to say? I am honestly unsure of the whole procedure for switching course, but hopefully this kind of helps? haha, good luck! :smile:

I think the only exception is if they have identical first year i.e. Business Maths with Stats to Maths and/with Economics
Reply 3
Original post by Avshua
I think the only exception is if they have identical first year i.e. Business Maths with Stats to Maths and/with Economics

Yeah I thought it was something like that, or very similar first years. I know someone who was going to switch from Pol/Phil to Econ/Phil and they would have had to take the first year Econ courses 2nd year while continuing normally with Philosophy. I'm not sure how many 2.1s/2.2s etc they needed to switch either.
Reply 4
Original post by avash27
Yeah I thought it was something like that, or very similar first years. I know someone who was going to switch from Pol/Phil to Econ/Phil and they would have had to take the first year Econ courses 2nd year while continuing normally with Philosophy. I'm not sure how many 2.1s/2.2s etc they needed to switch either.

Can i also ask you out of interest whether LSE is well known in the states? If so, what is the reputation like? Comparable to some lower ivies?

Sorry OP for hijacking you thread a bit but hopefully we have already answered your question
You can change while you're there. Don't know how easy it is though.
Reply 6
Original post by Avshua
Can i also ask you out of interest whether LSE is well known in the states? If so, what is the reputation like? Comparable to some lower ivies?

Sorry OP for hijacking you thread a bit but hopefully we have already answered your question

I'll PM you :smile:
I have heard of someone change from history to law in first year; it all has to be done within the first couple of weeks though I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending