The Student Room Group

No matter how much sleep I get, I still feel tired all the time?

I've always been one of these people that needs loads of sleep, and usually, I get it. On a good day, I can manage 8 hours, or if I'm staying up revising, it's usually around 7-6 hours.

But even at the weekends, when I get more sleep, I still feel lethargic and tired, like I can't motivate myself to do anything, and it lasts pretty much all day. It's bad enough walking to school, never mind finding the energy to concentrate on schoolwork or revision.

I've tried coffee and energy drinks and they don't help, and my diet is pretty healthy.
I'm starting to think it's all the pressure and stress of exams...
Any suggestions/advice?
:confused:

Scroll to see replies

my diet is pretty healthy.

More info? What exactly do you eat every day? What times do you eat?

Do you do exercise?

On a good day, I can manage 8 hours

If you only get 8 hours sleep on a good day then you are probably sleep deprived to be honest. If you get 6-7 hrs sleep on a lot of nights then it can build up. Particularly if you're also stressed about exams. You need more sleep.

The reason coffee doesn't seem to help, is because coffee helps you concentrate and prevents you from falling asleep. It's not a magic cure for tiredness. Also, if you drink too much coffee during the day, your sleep will be disrupted, even if you think you drunk it a while before going to sleep.
Reply 2
And if you get enough sleep, you are still tired? Join the club!
Reply 3
Original post by buildalegohouse
I've always been one of these people that needs loads of sleep, and usually, I get it. On a good day, I can manage 8 hours, or if I'm staying up revising, it's usually around 7-6 hours.

But even at the weekends, when I get more sleep, I still feel lethargic and tired, like I can't motivate myself to do anything, and it lasts pretty much all day. It's bad enough walking to school, never mind finding the energy to concentrate on schoolwork or revision.

I've tried coffee and energy drinks and they don't help, and my diet is pretty healthy.
I'm starting to think it's all the pressure and stress of exams...
Any suggestions/advice?
:confused:

do you use an alarm to wake up, even at weekends?
i know how you feel. I can sleep for hours and hours and then all day i will stil be tired and i will come home and feel shattered and then the cycle starts all over again.
Reply 5
I think a lot of people actually feel like this. I've been a low-energy person for a long time, no motivation and basically can't move when I get home from work. At weekends I just sit here waiting for bed time again.

There might not be anything you can do to change it, really. Stimulants obviously won't fix the problem.
Hey there,
I feel for yo, i get that, I sometimes feel like I'm always tired, but you honestly, unless it's a medical problem (you should go to the doctors just in case-have you been needing to urinate a lot?) you just need to tell yourself to do it, you can get your energy levels up, also i find talking to people helps me focus and get on with work- call Samaritans they're really nice to talk to, and can help relieve stress, so let it out, and it should make a difference,
xxx
Reply 7
Recommend you exercise, this may seem tiring but start even earlier then you usually do, and you may need to eat more as well, depending on what you are eating atm
My cousin used to be permanently tired - he went to the doctor and it turned out he had a magnesium deficiency. He started taking magnesium tablets and he was fine after that.
Reply 9
to be honest, feeling tired for most people is just a sign of sleep deprivation, which can be cured by, not surprisingly, getting enough sleep.

If you use an alarm to wake up, you are not getting enough sleep, and you will feel tired unless you have a well timed nap during the day.
Original post by moya
to be honest, feeling tired for most people is just a sign of sleep deprivation, which can be cured by, not surprisingly, getting enough sleep.

If you use an alarm to wake up, you are not getting enough sleep, and you will feel tired unless you have a well timed nap during the day.

This doesn't seem true. Without an alarm I will just sleep for about 14 hours, and I can't imagine that 14 hours is the amount of sleep my body needs before having enough sleep.
Although it is true that sleep deprivation causes tiredness as noted above it can also be caused by many other things such as aenemia, thryoid problems, depression. My depression was diagnosed by tiredness and non motivation is a common symptom of depression, you do not have to feel sad to be clinically depressed (contrary to popular opinion, I did, my mum did not). I'm not saying you have depression there are many other explanations but if this tiredness is affecting your life I would recommend going to the doctors.
Try and get some regular active exercise, maybe start off slowly.
This always happens to me during exam times, it's the stress that constantly makes you feel tired. I would suggest finding a way to de-stress or lower your stress, as outrageously hard as that sounds...I try and force myself into thinking positively (lie to myself :tongue:) and make sure I do exercise frequently to clear my head out. I think it's more of a case of finding what helps YOU to de-stress though. Sorry you're feeling this way, and I hope the exams go well! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Retrodiction
This doesn't seem true. Without an alarm I will just sleep for about 14 hours, and I can't imagine that 14 hours is the amount of sleep my body needs before having enough sleep.

yup you probably do, but that's just your body compensation for sleep deprivation, if you sleep naturally for a week (which is actually really hard these days) you will find that 14 hours comes down pretty quickly, possibly even to the amount of time you sleep at the moment, and you generally feel a lot better and healthier

if you still sleep for 14 hours after sleeping completely naturally for a couple of weeks (NO alarm, only go to bed if you can get to sleep within 20 minutes and stay asleep, nothing waking you up) then there could be something wrong
Reply 15
Original post by _music<3
This always happens to me during exam times, it's the stress that constantly makes you feel tired. I would suggest finding a way to de-stress or lower your stress, as outrageously hard as that sounds...I try and force myself into thinking positively (lie to myself :tongue:) and make sure I do exercise frequently to clear my head out. I think it's more of a case of finding what helps YOU to de-stress though. Sorry you're feeling this way, and I hope the exams go well! :biggrin:

It's more likely that the stress is interfering with the sleep, which makes you tired during the day because you don't get enough sleep
Original post by moya
It's more likely that the stress is interfering with the sleep, which makes you tired during the day because you don't get enough sleep

Well the OP mentioned that they did get enough sleep during the week, so that is unlikely.
Reply 17
Original post by _music<3
Well the OP mentioned that they did get enough sleep during the week, so that is unlikely.

ah, well I usually still ask if they use an alarm,
Start exercising, natural way to boost your energy levels. Simply as that really, I feel tired on the days that I don't do anything and loads of my friends that don't exercise at all always complain of feeling tired 24/7 despite lots of sleep.
Reply 19
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Start exercising, natural way to boost your energy levels. Simply as that really, I feel tired on the days that I don't do anything and loads of my friends that don't exercise at all always complain of feeling tired 24/7 despite lots of sleep.

tool?

Quick Reply

Latest