The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by janjanmmm
Just got an email with acceptance from University College (my first choice)!

Was given an offer from the department on March 16, so total waiting time was slightly over 5 weeks.

congrats!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by GabrielleT
Oh it's not cynicism; it's rather a sense of disbelief that is likely to stick until I actually matriculate! (Then they won't be able to tell me: Oh nooo we made a mistake! Or can they? :tongue: Hahaha) Anyway, thank you for your kind words, I am very excited!

I put Lincoln as a first choice as it's central, relatively small and looks friendly! I think no one has heard anything from them yet - am I correct?

I'm hoping for Lincoln too! :smile: haven't heard yet. Looked friendly, great location an accommodation next to the college! Also seems to be lots going on socially - I like to work hard, play hard, sounds good to me! Fingers crossed...
I got an offer for Comparative Social Policy today. I initially got rejected and pooled for the next round but didn't think anything would come of it. Now I don't know what to do because I'd been so certain that I didn't want to do a Masters anymore.

Edit: That sounds grumpy. I'm happy about it really!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by janjanmmm
Just got an email with acceptance from University College (my first choice)!

Was given an offer from the department on March 16, so total waiting time was slightly over 5 weeks.

Nice work.:biggrin:

Thanks for letting us know.
Just received my rejection. I knew it was coming, but it still really sucks. Oxford was where I really wanted to go.
^^ So sorry to hear that.
Original post by eggshell
Just received my rejection. I knew it was coming, but it still really sucks. Oxford was where I really wanted to go.

So sorry to hear that :frown:
So you will be going to Edinburgh for your Master's, right? It might not have the same international reputation as Oxford, but it is still a great uni for computer science!
Original post by cyberpoet
^^ So sorry to hear that.

Thanks.
Original post by PollyAbroad
So sorry to hear that :frown:
So you will be going to Edinburgh for your Master's, right? It might not have the same international reputation as Oxford, but it is still a great uni for computer science!

Yep, Edinburgh it is. I'm still trying to get an application to Imperial in but my reference's aren't cooperating so it'll probably be too late. Plus, London is super expensive; I can barely afford Edinburgh.

I know Edinburgh is an excellent university for CS. Various lecturers (but not all) at my current university consider Edinburgh to be more prestigious than Oxford for CS (but not Cambridge although it is close). I still plan on Oxford for a D.Phil, so Edinburgh is good preparation for that considering it's extremely strong research output. Plus, I actually prefer the course at Edinburgh. But still, Oxford was where I had my heart set on.

Bah, enough self-soothing. I'm not going to be disappointed with Edinburgh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3108
Bah, enough self-soothing. I'm not going to be disappointed with Edinburgh.

Edinburgh is a wonderful city. I'd have applied there but I think the other half would've had my head on a plate for moving so far away.
Original post by HLS
Edinburgh is a wonderful city. I'd have applied there but I think the other half would've had my head on a plate for moving so far away.

Same here
Reply 3110
Just got an offer from Lincoln (first choice college) via email yesterday. But chances are I will have to turn down the DPhil offer unless I can miraculously come up with GBP 98,982 by 31st August. Oh well, it was good while it lasts. :smile:
Reply 3111
Original post by vancee
Just got an offer from Lincoln (first choice college) via email yesterday. But chances are I will have to turn down the DPhil offer unless I can miraculously come up with GBP 98,982 by 31st August. Oh well, it was good while it lasts. :smile:

A terrible pity. Lincoln is such a beautiful college and the chapel is simply wonderful.

I hope you are able to get to Oxford somehow. The financial barriers are very prohibitive.
Just got an offer letter through from Keble (hard copy - post) so subject to financial conditions and grades I will be there in October.

Very happy (first choice college) and hope others get good news soon!
Reply 3113
This is going to sound really really stupid considering that I already have my offer for an Mst - but I only just discovered the existance of the Mphil. I'm really confused, is this just a different (more prestigious?) type of masters? Does choosing an Mst or Mphil affect whether you get accepted onto a Dphil course later? *confused :frown: *
Reply 3114
Original post by ACC_21
This is going to sound really really stupid considering that I already have my offer for an Mst - but I only just discovered the existance of the Mphil. I'm really confused, is this just a different (more prestigious?) type of masters? Does choosing an Mst or Mphil affect whether you get accepted onto a Dphil course later? *confused :frown: *

No. Most people I know who've gone on to do DPhils did the MSt, not the MPhil (in cases where both were available). My tutor advised me to apply for the MSt (in History) over the MPhil because a) it takes an extra year! and b) the length of the MPhil dissertation is an 'awkward' length (in her opinion) for then using as the basis of a chapter of the DPhil.

I think there's really only a benefit to doing the MPhil if the course is going to involve picking up a new language from scratch (e.g. the MPhil in Byzantine Studies).

Don't worry! :smile:
Reply 3115
Original post by ACC_21

The MPhil is usually two years in length at Oxford and is an extension of the kind of study undertaken during an MSc/MSt.

It is possible to transfer from the MSt to the MPhil once you are at the University so I would not worry about this too much.

I would not recommend anybody applies for the MPhil unless they are absolutely certain they can fund it as the longer course length requires a larger financial guarantee.
Reply 3116
ok thanks guys!! :smile: just had a sudden "ARGH should I have applied for that instead" moment.
Original post by cyberpoet
I've not heard anything either :frown:. But then a mate who applied for the November deadline is still waiting for his college offer too, so I guess we'll just have to wait it out. Keep us posted if you receive a reply from the department though (English wasnt it?).

I'm in that same boat with you, cyberpoet. I applied for Exeter and just heard today that it might be within a week. I was relieved to read on here that if you are not chosen by your first choice college you are returned to your department. That is excellent news because they would likely place me in Kellogg which is also a great fit for me.

I echo the sentiments previously expressed that it would be so great to be able to list a second and third preference. Having an offer is fabulous enough, but as someone else said, I just want to know where I will be, silly as that is, so that it can all start to seem very real.

I wonder what we will all talk about when we know our colleges? Reading lists? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3118
I applied to DPhil course, but was offered MSc instead. Any of u r in the same situation??

So sorry to hear that. :frown:
Edinburgh is very lovely and highly regarded. Best of luck to you with your DPhil application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending