The Student Room Group

BA (Econ) Third Class Honours - Manchester

In my Final year, just handing in my dissertation. I think that I am heading for a Third in my degree overall. I was just wondering what success previous graduates have experienced with a Third class degree on Manchester's BA Econ and/or another degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Omit it from your CV and say you went travelling for 3 years helping poor African people build hospitals...
Reply 2
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 90BRO
In my Final year, just handing in my dissertation. I think that I am heading for a Third in my degree overall. I was just wondering what success previous graduates have experienced with a Third class degree on Manchester's BA Econ and/or another degree?

Heading for a Third? What do you need to get a 2:2?
Reply 4
68.8% or more in my last 3 exams. I'm hoping for the best/planning for the worst atm.
Reply 5
The most successful person I know has a 3rd class degree. It's what you do with it what counts. You have to become good at selling yourself, buff up you CV with lots of extras i.e. training/skills specific to what you want to do (particularly if you pay for private training that is accredited/leads to professional qualification), volunteer, etc. My friend did exactly that and 'volunteered' at 2 companies for 1 day a week at each over a year, which gave him fantastic experience and references, whilst he also worked part time for another two days, and spent the other day of the week gaining professional qualz, while he was 'building himself'), and even though he appeared behind a bit at first, he caught up and overtook pretty quickly in terms of level/salary etc. I think having a 3rd made him try harder and really graft to prove himself, whilst those with higher grades sat smugly thinking a job would just come to them because they had a high grade. After the first job, it's experience that counted, and he had heaps, gained from 3 workplaces (his part-time work - nothing grand, but developed general skills - plus his two volunteer experience roles.) HTH
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Whilst a good degree certainly helps and will get your CV past the HR filters, it's not the be all and end all. It counts for a lot less than you might think, experience is much more highly valued. Once you have been working in your field for a year or two, they won't even care about your degree.
Reply 7
Original post by 90BRO

Thats going to be really tough depending on what area you want to go into? Did you say you did Economics? Thats a tough degree but most grad schemes ask for 2.1's in any subject, as ridiculous as it is. I know Carol Vorderman got a 3rd and she did alright
Reply 8
Original post by 90BRO
68.8% or more in my last 3 exams. I'm hoping for the best/planning for the worst atm.

Put your life and soul into getting the best firsts you can in remaining modules. In all honesty, prospects for a 3rd class degree are bleak. Furthermore, the vast majority of success stories for 3rd class degree holders are pre-recession. When jobs were going there was more room to assess those who may not have the qualifications but had the skills. Unfortunately that no longer happens due to the sheer competitiveness.

Work hard, get a 2:2 and there will be a number of jobs and master degrees open to you. A 3rd unfortunately does not have those luxuries.

I am sorry if I came across a bit too brutal, but you can secure a 2:2 if you dedicate your life to these next few months 100% (as in minimum 8 hours a day, 7 days a week). The hard work will pay off on graduation day when you can breathe a sigh of relief and say 'that was close, but thank **** I picked myself up' :smile: It is definitely doable, but you need concrete motivation and drive.
Reply 9
Original post by newts2k
Thats going to be really tough depending on what area you want to go into? Did you say you did Economics? Thats a tough degree but most grad schemes ask for 2.1's in any subject, as ridiculous as it is. I know Carol Vorderman got a 3rd and she did alright

Carol Vorderman didn't get a job in today's market though. There are top bankers and barristers in London who only got 2:2's in the past. The system has had a complete overhaul.
Original post by ForKicks
Carol Vorderman didn't get a job in today's market though. There are top bankers and barristers in London who only got 2:2's in the past. The system has had a complete overhaul.

Not to mention her degree was from Cambridge so would be equivalent to a 2.2 or a low 2.1 anyway
I know a successful binman who has a 3rd class degree at manchester
Reply 12
Original post by Dominic101
Not to mention her degree was from Cambridge so would be equivalent to a 2.2 or a low 2.1 anyway

True, although difficult to truly quantify. The gap between Cambridge (and Oxford) and most other uni's used to be much greater back in the 1970's.

[This does not reflect on current-day reputation weightings]
True, although difficult to truly quantify. The gap between Cambridge (and Oxford) and most other uni's used to be much greater back in the 1970's.

[This does not reflect on current-day reputation weightings]

Says who? In fact I would say the opposite. Academics regularly complain that students these days are not well-prepared by A levels, and that standards have dropped. Cambridge, on the other hand, has maintained its standards because it uses its own entrance exams and takes the very best (the standard of the very best won't change much, even if the bulk of the student population degrades in quality).
Reply 14
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Says who? In fact I would say the opposite. Academics regularly complain that students these days are not well-prepared by A levels, and that standards have dropped. Cambridge, on the other hand, has maintained its standards because it uses its own entrance exams and takes the very best.

Well a lot of those uni's were poly's and academies at the time, so subtract them. Then subtract the uni's that did not exist at the time. A large number of good uni's were only young and gaining their feet in the 70's (York, Warwick, etc). Plus, back then there was more of a network system, with former Oxbridge grads hiring Oxbridge grads. This boosted the worth of their degree in comparison to the remaining uni's in some fields.

Therefore, in comparison to today the Cambridge degree may be seen to have held more value than degrees from other institutions at the time. All you really need to do though is speak to someone in their 50's to hear about Oxbridge's previous reputation. I mean, Oxford in the 70's didn't bother separating 2:1 and 2:2!
(edited 11 years ago)
Well a lot of those uni's were poly's and academies at the time, so subtract them. Then subtract the uni's that did not exist at the time. A large number of good uni's were only young and gaining their feet in the 70's (York, Warwick, etc). Plus, back then there was more of a network system, with former Oxbridge grads hiring Oxbridge grads. This boosted the worth of their degree in comparison to the remaining uni's in some fields.

Therefore, in comparison to today the Cambridge degree may be seen to have held more value than degrees from other institutions at the time. All you really need to do though is speak to someone in their 50's to hear about Oxbridge's previous reputation. I mean, Oxford in the 70's didn't bother separating 2:1 and 2:2!

Hiring schemes are probably more meritocratic now, so yes, in that sense, you can't just walk into a job just because you have Cambridge on your CV. In fact, I would say for all but a small number of prestigious jobs, it doesn't make much difference in terms of a foot in the door.

In terms of differences in standards, I don't imagine the gap has closed. Not as many people went to uni 30 years ago, but the average standards was higher.
Reply 16

yeh, true, I know. Its a completely different world now
Reply 17
Can't you redo your third year ?
Reply 18
Original post by Meee123
The most successful person I know has a 3rd class degree. It's what you do with it what counts. You have to become good at selling yourself, buff up you CV with lots of extras i.e. training/skills specific to what you want to do (particularly if you pay for private training that is accredited/leads to professional qualification), volunteer, etc. My friend did exactly that and 'volunteered' at 2 companies for 1 day a week at each over a year, which gave him fantastic experience and references, whilst he also worked part time for another two days, and spent the other day of the week gaining professional qualz, while he was 'building himself'), and even though he appeared behind a bit at first, he caught up and overtook pretty quickly in terms of level/salary etc. I think having a 3rd made him try harder and really graft to prove himself, whilst those with higher grades sat smugly thinking a job would just come to them because they had a high grade. After the first job, it's experience that counted, and he had heaps, gained from 3 workplaces (his part-time work - nothing grand, but developed general skills - plus his two volunteer experience roles.) HTH

How can I do that? I am interested. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by 90BRO

I'm on the BAEcon, I thought only PPE, Development or Politics students could do the dissertation :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending