Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

beer blogs

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some good beer blogs:

http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/

http://cookinglager.blogspot.co.uk/ (tongue in cheek)

http://boakandbailey.com/

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://real-ale-reviews.com/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    These are a really cool idea. I love trying local beers, and I hate the fact that, IMO, some of the most popular beers are actually really poor. We have a beer festival near me every year which is a good event.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    These are a really cool idea. I love trying local beers, and I hate the fact that, IMO, some of the most popular beers are actually really poor. We have a beer festival near me every year which is a good event.
    The good news is that there are new innovative breweries springing up all over the place, from Brewdog to Camden, to Meantime, to Magic Rock Thornbridge to Bristol beer, and alot of them are opening craft beer bars. There are also lots of smaller more tradition breweries who do a good job at the cask ale thing without really diversifying too far like Castle Rock and Milton.

There is a bit too much of a focus on superstrong extremely hopped beer at the moment, but I think things will settle down and we will have a really strong range of UK produced beers in a whole range of different styles - not just the usual choice between watery lager and eggy bitter.

Some bars in the US have 20-40 different beers on tap covering every different style under the sun. Thats the kind of thing I would like to see in every city in the UK.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    mmmm beer
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be interested in writing some beer tasting notes/reviews/comparisons?

I might give it a go, but if anyone else wants to jump in...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Some bars in the US have 20-40 different beers on tap covering every different style under the sun. Thats the kind of thing I would like to see in every city in the UK.
    Unless they have an exceptionally high number of customers, that is too many. They wouldn't be able to sell the beer quick enough before it goes stale. If we're talking proper beer than isn't full of preservatives anyway - that stuff is more like large scale chemical engineering than beer.

Even the larger outlets in the UK (for example Wetherspoons) will rarely have more than about 7 or 8 because of this.

Beer festivals are great because you'll get a lot more choice, but because there are so many people there it won't go stale.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Unless they have an exceptionally high number of customers, that is too many. They wouldn't be able to sell the beer quick enough before it goes stale. If we're talking proper beer than isn't full of preservatives anyway - that stuff is more like large scale chemical engineering than beer.

Even the larger outlets in the UK (for example Wetherspoons) will rarely have more than about 7 or 8 because of this.

Beer festivals are great because you'll get a lot more choice, but because there are so many people there it won't go stale.
    I see your argument, and I don't think it would work for cask ales, and I do agree that the bar would need to be busy. But, I think 7 or 8 is an understatement. Lots of "normal" bars in Cambridge (not exactly a happening place) have 10+ different beers on pump, the only problem is that they're all the same beers we've had before, some of which are nice and some of which are not.

When these places do open, it does work, and I honestly think its only a matter of time before they spread around the country, provided we all work to promote the joy of great beer.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see your argument, and I don't think it would work for cask ales, and I do agree that the bar would need to be busy. But, I think 7 or 8 is an understatement. Lots of "normal" bars in Cambridge (not exactly a happening place) have 10+ different beers on pump, the only problem is that they're all the same beers we've had before, some of which are nice and some of which are not.

When these places do open, it does work, and I honestly think its only a matter of time before they spread around the country, provided we all work to promote the joy of great beer.
    10 is pretty impressive. In my 'local' there's four. Hawkshead bitter and Tiger as their standard, and two guests (plus a guest cider)
    They get quite a few things in from York for some reason...it is called The Yorkshire House, which might go some way to explaining it!

There's a bigger place in town which claims to have ten casks on, but the one time I went they 'only' had 6 or 7.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    10 is pretty impressive. In my 'local' there's four. Hawkshead bitter and Tiger as their standard, and two guests (plus a guest cider)
    They get quite a few things in from York for some reason...it is called The Yorkshire House, which might go some way to explaining it!
    Is that Everard's Tiger by any chance?

My main issue with beers on tap is the styles rather than the number. It's very common to go into a pub and have five rather similar bitters, and nothing much darker or lighter. One time I went into a pub with a group of around 10-15, and after one round the only stout on tap had gone.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

There's a bigger place in town which claims to have ten casks on, but the one time I went they 'only' had 6 or 7.
    Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't just talking about casks. The couple of places I was thinking of had 3/4 casks plus 6/7 on keg. As you say, casks need to be served quicker.

One of my favourites is the Cambridge Blue, which has 4 cask ales and probably 8 beers on keg plus a draft cider. Unfortunately we're talking between £3.50 and £6 a pint depending on what you want.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerdog)
    Is that Everard's Tiger by any chance?

My main issue with beers on tap is the styles rather than the number. It's very common to go into a pub and have five rather similar bitters, and nothing much darker or lighter. One time I went into a pub with a group of around 10-15, and after one round the only stout on tap had gone.
    I believe it is. Not sure if I've ever had it though. I'll almost always go for hawkshead because it's cheap, or a guest because it'll only be there for a few days and I want to try it.

Tis a shame when pubs don't put a good range on, though the number of stout drinkers is never as many as it should be, so it's not in their interests to put a lot of the black stuff on.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't just talking about casks. The couple of places I was thinking of had 3/4 casks plus 6/7 on keg. As you say, casks need to be served quicker.

One of my favourites is the Cambridge Blue, which has 4 cask ales and probably 8 beers on keg plus a draft cider. Unfortunately we're talking between £3.50 and £6 a pint depending on what you want.
    Ah right, I had misunderstood you.
    £6 a pint is a bit silly unless it's some Brewdog at wine/champagne type strength.
    Cheapest pint I can get is £1.35 (Ruddles County) from spoons. It's not great, but it'll do when on a serious budget!
    Normally I pay £3.00-£3.10 though. I'll sometimes stretch to more if it's Old Tom (which is usually £4 when it's on around here, but for 8.5% it's still decent value!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is. Not sure if I've ever had it though. I'll almost always go for hawkshead because it's cheap, or a guest because it'll only be there for a few days and I want to try it.
    I'd definitely recommend it. It might depend on where the pub is, but at one I've been to a couple of times it's excellent. Goes down very easily, so even if you weren't a fan it wouldn't be too bad.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerdog)
    I'd definitely recommend it. It might depend on where the pub is, but at one I've been to a couple of times it's excellent. Goes down very easily, so even if you weren't a fan it wouldn't be too bad.
    Yessir. Will be there in a week and a half or so
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, I had misunderstood you.
    £6 a pint is a bit silly unless it's some Brewdog at wine/champagne type strength.
    Cheapest pint I can get is £1.35 (Ruddles County) from spoons. It's not great, but it'll do when on a serious budget!
    Normally I pay £3.00-£3.10 though. I'll sometimes stretch to more if it's Old Tom (which is usually £4 when it's on around here, but for 8.5% it's still decent value!)
    Down in Cambridge you're looking at £3.50 to £4 for a pint of anything decent. C'est la vie. Its tough work being a beer conoisseur paying £4 a pint when I could get Carlsberg down the road for £2.60.

When brewdog stick to a sensible %, they make some of the best beer in the world. Punk, 5am saint, trashy blonde, zeitgeist, are some of my favourite UK based beers.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Down in Cambridge you're looking at £3.50 to £4 for a pint of anything decent. C'est la vie. Its tough work being a beer conoisseur paying £4 a pint when I could get Carlsberg down the road for £2.60.

When brewdog stick to a sensible %, they make some of the best beer in the world. Punk, 5am saint, trashy blonde, zeitgeist, are some of my favourite UK based beers.
    One of the many advantages of living in the North :ahee:

That said I got a pint in Tunbridge Wells for £1.70 last summer.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is always a raft of interesting stories to be found here:

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Brands-News

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pubs round my way (S. London) usually hover between £3 and £3.50 for a pint of real ale. I don't mind paying this as it keeps them afloat -put it angers me that over £1 of a pint is tax!

There are some real gems of pubs of the beaten track here which really are the bee's knees though -the range of guest ales they have is staggering!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a great idea:

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/P...-hop-cask-ales

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.