The Student Room Group

The Complete Uni Guide Table 2013 Economics

I think we all agree that The Complete University Guide is the most accurate table for Economics. What do you think of the 2013 edition?

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics
Reply 1
Original post by aalex
I think we all agree that The Complete University Guide is the most accurate table for Economics. What do you think of the 2013 edition?

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics

I think this new 2013 one is the worse I've seen so far from the complete university guide.

I mean who would go that far to rate Oxford economics higher than Cambridge's when Oxford don't even offer straight economics.
And I don't understand how LSE is ranked above Oxford overall?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by *Hakz*
I think this new 2013 one is the worse I've seen so far from the complete university guide.

I mean we would go that far to rate Oxford economics higher than Cambridge's when Oxford don't even offer straight economics.
And I don't understand how LSE is ranked above Oxford overall?

Completely agree. Also LSE's student satisfaction 4.0 and Cambridge's 3.8? LOL.
Reply 3
Original post by aalex
Completely agree. Also LSE's student satisfaction 4.0 and Cambridge's 3.8? LOL.

I think it's safe to say that league tables don't really show a true picture of how good a university.

Why should factors like entry standards, student satisfaction and graduate prospects dictate how reputable a university is?
Reply 4
Bath falling outside the top 10 is somewhat strange and most of the universities have seen a fall in their graduate prospects. Bath was 88 in 2012, now it's 80, somewhat inaccurate I would say :s-smilie:
Reply 5
I don't think it is very good to be honest. The top 5 seem to be pretty consistent from year to year so that shows some reflection of reality. I wouldn't have put the next 5 in that order but as you can see by the overall rankings the 6th-16th ranked universities are so close in overall score that they aren't that distinguishable. One of the things that annoys me most about league tables is the weight they put on graduate prospects and student satisfaction, when the way they calculate it is so imperfect.

Generally it is a good guide but I don't think this year is a particularly good year and these tables only seem to be good when taken in blocks, not individual rankings.
Thats total c*** ! Which people are constructing these tables now ? So much discrepancy from last year and all of a sudden LSE student satisfaction shoots to 4 ? Haha talking about tampering with figures to gain higher positions .
That's one hell of a fall for Bath considering it's currently my favourite Uni out of those I've seen, I'll be looking into that, especially with the graduate prospects down to 80.
Lancaster and Southampton are also falling lower than I'd have expected, behind Kent and Surrey. I think I may be turning my attention to Exeter, although this year might just be a blip and things can change.
Either way I'll be comparing with other rankings.
Reply 8
Original post by Patriot Rich
That's one hell of a fall for Bath considering it's currently my favourite Uni out of those I've seen, I'll be looking into that, especially with the graduate prospects down to 80.
Lancaster and Southampton are also falling lower than I'd have expected, behind Kent and Surrey. I think I may be turning my attention to Exeter, although this year might just be a blip and things can change.
Either way I'll be comparing with other rankings.

Please don't pay much attention to them, look how dramatic the changes are compared to last year.
A few shocks. Personally don't agree with a lot of the changes. Birmingham 27th? Really?
So the OP's prediction that "we all agree" seems to be wide of the mark...
Reply 11
Completely different to almost every economics ranking I've seen...I guess they all have their different views, can't say any of them are entirely correct unless you've studied a degree every university on there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by MagicNMedicine
So the OP's prediction that "we all agree" seems to be wide of the mark...

I meant for 2012. Tell me another table, more accurate than this for 2012.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics&y=2012
Accurate by what measure?

If you already know the order then what is the point of a table?

If a table lists universities in different order than someones subjective opinion they just say the table is wrong. The methodology of these tables is very weak and flawed, its ironic that economics students of all people use them as a benchmark measure...
Reply 14
The league tables mean little in my opinion however if you sort the list by entry standards you gain a fairly good picture of which are the "best" universities for economics
Everyone gets sooo Aggy when their uni doesn't do as well as they want. I personally think the league tables are a brilliant idea, and that the criteria they use are good :smile: though I do personally prefer the Sunday times normally to this one.
Reply 16
Entry standards can be fixed too, and a popular course don't always mean a good one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending