The Student Room Group
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Wolverhampton nightlife?

I am starting Uni in September and will be living in accomodation. Where do most of the students go for nights out and what nights are most popular?

At the moment I live in Cannock and I heard that Oceana in Wolverhampton has closed! Are there any clubs left?

Also....Do students go to any of the other places often?

Stourbridge?
Worcester?
Walsall?
Birmingham?

Taxis might be a bit expensive but if theres not much in Wolverhampton, it might be the only option!!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surely somebody is going to Wolverhampton?....:eek:
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Jackruss
I am starting Uni in September and will be living in accomodation. Where do most of the students go for nights out and what nights are most popular?

At the moment I live in Cannock and I heard that Oceana in Wolverhampton has closed! Are there any clubs left?

Also....Do students go to any of the other places often?

Stourbridge?
Worcester?
Walsall?
Birmingham?

Taxis might be a bit expensive but if theres not much in Wolverhampton, it might be the only option!!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Night-life is pretty decent in Wolverhampton, just like Birmingham really. The pubs are decent, Varsity is a good place to go also. Another place i enjoy going to is walkabout (Australian Bar), always have a good night there. Its nice to try out different bars though as sometimes if you become a regular it can feel a little repetitive.

What degree course are you studying in September?
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply! I was starting to feel a bit lonely. Doesnt sound too bad then. I thought it would be empty without Oceana.

I'll be studying Building Management. I know the Uni doesnt have the best ratings but hopefully the construction side of the Uni is as good as people have told me.

Do Wolverhampton students go out to Birmingham very often? I've got loads of mates who are at BCU and Aston so it would be good to see everyone.
I live near Wolverhampton, but don't go to the uni. The nightlife is okay, fair few bars and pubs, Indi bar is good, Walkabout is okay, not really my scene though. Not much in the way of decent nightclubs though imo. Oceana used to be okay a good few years back, but went a bit crap and now it's shut down. I always go to Birmingham, it's a million times better, taxi fare will probably be too much for you as a student though to go regularly, as you're looking at 20-40 quid each way depending on drop offs, taxi firms etc.

I know Wolves uni does these bar crawls around town called Boom, they are supposed be really good, got a few friends who love them, but I've never been on one.

Walsall is pretty rubbish, mind you I used to love it when I was underage and just turned 18, my younger brother and his mates really like it as well. It seems to attract 17-19 year olds mainly because it's cheap and the music in WS1 is fairly decent depending on what you like. But it can be quite rough. Never been to Stourbridge, but I've not heard anything about it's nightlife (make of that what you will). Same goes for Worcester, both are likely to be too far for you to afford in taxi fare as well.

To sum up, I think you're best off sticking to Wolves , the nightlife is good enough for your average student, but it's not amazing. Birmingham is a lot better, but probably too far for you to go to regularly.
Reply 6
Thank you. That actually helped a lot.

Worcester is quite a distance so your probably right, although when I've been in the past it's been a brilliant night. Stourbridge is nothing special so I cant see many of us going there unless people fancy a change.

Anyway - I'll look forward to Freshers and hopefully sdome good nights ahead.
Reply 7
Original post by Jackruss
Thanks for the reply! I was starting to feel a bit lonely. Doesnt sound too bad then. I thought it would be empty without Oceana.

I'll be studying Building Management. I know the Uni doesnt have the best ratings but hopefully the construction side of the Uni is as good as people have told me.

Do Wolverhampton students go out to Birmingham very often? I've got loads of mates who are at BCU and Aston so it would be good to see everyone.

Thats ok, yeah the Wolverhampton forum is really quiet on here :frown:

However, Wolverhampton previously was not the best, but with the redevelopment and improvement of staff at the university it is getting better. The construction aspect of the university is pretty good though, they have some great technology, as i've heard.

Students do travel to Birmingham on nights, as not everyone who goes to the uni lives in wolvo. I like it in Birmingham and Wolverhampton, just depends on the night. Birmingham is only 10-15 minutes on the train :smile:
I live near Wolverhampton, can confirm the nightlife is ****
Original post by JCC-MGS
I live near Wolverhampton, can confirm the nightlife is ****

It's pretty good imo. Miles better than Dudley anyway.
Original post by walterwhite123

Well yeah but that's Dudley, having a cold is better than losing an arm but I wouldn't want to experience either

Lol there is no nightlife in Dudley that's why!
Original post by laura130490
Lol there is no nightlife in Dudley that's why!

Whereabouts do you live?
Original post by JCC-MGS
Whereabouts do you live?

Wednesbury, there's no nightlife there either. I always go to Birmingham, mostly Gatecrasher.
Wednesbury, there's no nightlife there either. I always go to Birmingham, mostly Gatecrasher.

They have computers in Wednesbury? I thought people still ride horseback and sleep on bales of hay over there
Original post by JCC-MGS
They have computers in Wednesbury? I thought people still ride horseback and sleep on bales of hay over there

I thought that about Dudley! I guess we're both wrong.
I thought that about Dudley! I guess we're both wrong.

Dudley's practically the pinnacle of human civilization
Original post by JCC-MGS
Dudley's practically the pinnacle of human civilization

Lmao! I haven't actually been to Dudley in a while. I used to go to the college, but I left over four years ago and haven't been back since, other than to go to the big cinema and bowling etc complex.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Well yeah but that's Dudley, having a cold is better than losing an arm but I wouldn't want to experience either

Wolverhampton is fine, obviously not as good as Birmingham but then it was never going to be.
Wolverhampton is fine, obviously not as good as Birmingham but then it was never going to be.

Depends what your definition of fine is though, it hasn't even got a proper nightclub since Oceana shut down. It's got a decent selection of bars and pubs though to be fair, it's just lacking in clubs.

Quick Reply