The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Original post by S_123
QUESTION ON AQA BACC DIARY

Do you have to write something in for every post on the AQA Bacc diary? I have left loads of blanks and just entered hours for things like my piano, guitar and driving lessons as they don't vary enough to be an interesting read every week! What have people done? Please reply quick as the diary ends on 26th April!

Sorry I'm not helping, but when you say it ends on 26th April, do you mean your school deadline is for then, or for everyone doing it, it needs to be finished for then?

...'cause I've only done like half an entry on it :eek:
Reply 2721
Original post by MHRed
Sorry I'm not helping, but when you say it ends on 26th April, do you mean your school deadline is for then, or for everyone doing it, it needs to be finished for then?

...'cause I've only done like half an entry on it :eek:

I think it must be the school deadline? I don't know! I've submitted it now though. When is your EPQ in for though? My presentation is next week so you're might not have to fill in your diary for a long time yet!
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Okay guys, really important question.

I made a huge mistake when picking my topic, and unknowingly picked a huge one. My supervisor and centre coordinator agreed it was narrow enough, but on research it was hugely complex. As a result my report is now ridiculously long, and I've been told I have to cut it down but a lot.

The only thing I can think of (imho I think all of it is pretty relevant to the question, or at least for whole understanding of the topic) is moving some parts into appendices.
Doing this, I've gotten rid of maybe 8,000 words (assuming they're not counted). I'm still well, well over, but obviously its better. Would this work, or would they still be counted? :s-smilie:

Could really do with an answer to this ^
Reply 2723
Ugh just remembered that the EPQ has nothing to do with the essay I have written and everything to do with how I went to the library to find stuff to write for said essay :facepalm:
Reply 2724
Original post by S_123
I think it must be the school deadline? I don't know! I've submitted it now though. When is your EPQ in for though? My presentation is next week so you're might not have to fill in your diary for a long time yet!

Apparently the deadline for everything is the 15th of May [I'm talking EPQ, I literally know nothing about the bac thing!].

So our school wants our stuff in early next week, then final changes made for the end of the week...I've not even started the profile form thing (if you know what i mean? :tongue: :redface:)
Reply 2725
Original post by MHRed
Apparently the deadline for everything is the 15th of May [I'm talking EPQ, I literally know nothing about the bac thing!].

So our school wants our stuff in early next week, then final changes made for the end of the week...I've not even started the profile form thing (if you know what i mean? :tongue: :redface:)

Yeah my school want all my stuff in next week too :s-smilie: My problem is that I was actually meant to do it in October with the rest of my year but there were some family problems and I couldn't do it then so it's been extended to now but I missed a lot of the sessions? I'm seeing my teacher tomorrow to find out what I actually have to write! That project log is so annoying! I hope in uni I can just write the essay and not have to write about how I wrote the essay!
Reply 2726
Original post by S_123
Yeah my school want all my stuff in next week too :s-smilie: My problem is that I was actually meant to do it in October with the rest of my year but there were some family problems and I couldn't do it then so it's been extended to now but I missed a lot of the sessions? I'm seeing my teacher tomorrow to find out what I actually have to write! That project log is so annoying! I hope in uni I can just write the essay and not have to write about how I wrote the essay!

I wouldn't worry too much, you able to have a good look at someone else's?

I'm doing maths, so hopefully this'll be the last piece of extended writing I'll have to do for a long time!
For anyone who done the EPQ and gotten an A* what did u include in you project, including the researching and developing stages?
Thanks
Hi guys,

In the summer I'm going on a school trip to a small town in Tanzania for a month to help renovate some classrooms in a school, teach a few lessons and also get an insight into their way of life/culture etc.

I'm thinking I'd like to do an EPQ on something to do with Tanzanian/African economics and development.

I'm thinking perhaps a comparison between the economies, or maybe a comparison between our education systems, but to be honest would like to do something a little more outside the box.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what kind of investigation I could do?
Reply 2729
so i'm currently doing the AQA EPQ and i have decided that ill be comparing medical treatments and talking treats in which i could bring in psychological explanation aswell

i am wondering if this will be a right choice for me and if yes then how can i start my research and what can i use first? i would appreciate any help or opnnions, it will be very useful
Hi, I'm considering doing Business and/or Geography at Uni, so I'm going to base my EPQ on this, I just can't think of any topic for it, any ideas? I kind of want to link the two together, but if not I'll focus on business :smile:
I'm having trouble thinking of a question or title for my extended project.
I know that I want to do something unlike my AS levels. I have a particular interest in computing.
I am able to build a computer, and create a website using most most languages. Though, my skills are weak when it comes to creating programs (C++ etc), so I wouldn't be able to do anything of this sort.
Does anyone have any ideas to do with computing that I could use?
Oh and AQA give you the option of 5000 words, or 1000 words with a project. I'd much prefer to do a project though.

Thanks very much for any help!
Computing is something that would be inadvisable for an extended project especially if you can't program, anything to do with computing is going to require learning a skill which ordinarily would lead to its own qualification not to mention the costs if you're going to do a project.

That said I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to do something on the arduino platform or similar.
Reply 2733
I'm just wondering what paperwork actually needs to be handed in for the deadline? Im guessing the completed project log but what else???
Reply 2734
Guys, do you find when you are filling in the production log you tend to talk complete rubbish and often repeat yourself. I think I have masters one skill, and that's writing the same thing in 4 different ways so I fill the page up!
Original post by Alpha5
Guys, do you find when you are filling in the production log you tend to talk complete rubbish and often repeat yourself. I think I have masters one skill, and that's writing the same thing in 4 different ways so I fill the page up!

Yeah I did, one of my friends said I also talked to much about content than like the independent skills. But I have handed it so can't do anymore. I used this to help me give me an idea of what to write - http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA-9990-W-TRB-SAMPLE36.PDF
Since the advice from my tutor was pretty basic and not very helpful.
Reply 2736
Hi , i was wondering is it possible to do 2 extended projects during the sixth form? And if yes will it give me any advantage ? Thanks.
Reply 2737
Hi,

I am going to be doing my EPQ soon and I want to do Optometry at Uni, and intend to apply for it next year. :smile:

I want to do my EPQ on something related to eyes/optometry always. But I have a great interest for the Israel-Palestine conflict, has anyone got any ideas on how I can incorporate the 2 together?

Thank you, and please do reply if you have any ideas or suggestions for me.

It doesn't necessarily have to be related to Optometry, maybe the eyes, or something health-care related I guess... :smile:
Reply 2738
Original post by MissBlueskys
Yeah I did, one of my friends said I also talked to much about content than like the independent skills. But I have handed it so can't do anymore. I used this to help me give me an idea of what to write - http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA-9990-W-TRB-SAMPLE36.PDF
Since the advice from my tutor was pretty basic and not very helpful.

the epq does get a bit tedious at times. I enjoyed writing the essay, but just hate the production log. what grade did the student doing the epq you attached get? Thanks
Original post by Alpha5
the epq does get a bit tedious at times. I enjoyed writing the essay, but just hate the production log. what grade did the student doing the epq you attached get? Thanks

Yeah I really enjoyed writing the essay as it was about the subject I am most passionate about so was like a relief from college work. I think it says he got an A.

Quick Reply

Latest