The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Aberystwyth University

:colone:
Reply 41
Original post by Randomized

Colchester - Sums up everything that is wrong with modern stadiums. Non existant atmosphere, car parking is a pain and its in the middle of nowhere.

thank's for the heads up :s-smilie::frown:

Ah well, beggars can’t be choosers
(edited 12 years ago)
Wasn't it at Blackpool earlier this season, when a Sheffield Wednesday fan was jumping in the stands and suddenly the floor collapsed and they fell down a hole?! I'd guess that constitutes a pretty bad ground :wink:

Worst ground I've been to personally was Hereford. I was on the lower terrace and everytime people above jumped, concrete dust started coming down from the ceiling!
I also got attacked by a giant spider there :frown:
Original post by jerseymackem
Portsmouth's Fratton Park. It is literally four warehouses around a pitch. Saying that, I've only ever been to three grounds (Stadium of Light, Fratton Park and Anoeta)

Fratton Park is a great away day imo. Went on a Tuesday evening and there was a great atmosphere. Away end creates a lot of noise too.
Reply 44
Original post by sr90
Brunton Park, Carlisle.

Meadow Park, Gloucester.

_44018243_gc416.jpg
Reply 45
Original post by sr90
Brunton Park, Carlisle.

"panic on the streets of Carlisle."
I didn't like the Camp Nou, purely because of the lack of roof. For the away fans, we were torrentially rained upon - not great...
Reply 47
Original post by simoncino
I didn't like the Camp Nou, purely because of the lack of roof. For the away fans, we were torrentially rained upon - not great...

i think your the only person who doesnt like the Camp Nou.
Reply 48
Didnt like the new Wembley when I went as a neutral if that counts, the **** music blaring out so you cant hear the bloke next to you and the **** on the PA system did my nut in and you feel miles away from the game in the upper tier if we get there again I will try and get behind a goal lower and go in very close to kick off time
Original post by hbk4894

I like it but it's falling to bits so for me it's not a great ground.
Original post by walterwhite123
I like it but it's falling to bits so for me it's not a great ground.

not to mention the precarious, dangerous ledges everywhere with HUGE drops to the ground below, with barely any netting etc.

When that stadium is full of 90,000 people trying to leave, it's a thoroughly unpleasant experience
Reply 51
QPR.

Majority of seats are restricted view, the toilets are like a prison and the concourse is tiny. Also when you get to the ground you've actually got to walk an extra 15 minutes round a dodgy estate to get to the away fans turnstile.

MK Dons's temporary stadium a few years ago the National Bowl was something else aswell.

Colchester is a good shout aswell. I live about a two minute walk from it and went to my first game there in the pre-season friendly against Ipswich with a few mates. Was in the Ipswich end, obviously didn't expect a lot of fans but ended up being more ITFC fans than home fans. Anyway they were cooking food to order, was mayhem. Ended up waiting about 45 minutes for a burger but the guy ended up ****ing up further by giving me three so it was a happy ending on my end. Parking is okay, loads of roads around the stadium just need to know the area really. There's signs and stewarding people on the end of nearby roads but they do **** all. They have them down my road on a matchday and there's no way of knowing I live there but i've never been stopped or anything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Restricted view is part and parcel of football. As long as it's not terrible (ie back of Anfield Road Lower style) then it's alright.
I much prefer the old grounds to be honest: they may be crumbling a little but they have character and atmosphere. I've only been to four grounds so far, unfortunately (will be five this weekend when I go to Bramall Lane), and three of them are the new Wembley Stadium (grey, boring and ridiculously overpriced), Old Trafford (I liked it a lot, actually, both big and plenty of character) and White Hart Lane (not bad, don't like the location though, like a previous poster said about Loftus Road, we had to walk 15 minutes through a dodgy estate. That was to get from the ground to the coaches. We had to do it with a disabled friend as well).

That's why, despite being the "worst" both in size and aesthetics, my team Stevenage's ground, Broadhall Way, is fantastic in my opinion. It's quite small, but it has a nice pitch, has a lot of character, and best of all, it's so compact that if if you stand at the front row of the East Terrace, you're about a foot away from the action.

Reply 54
Original post by Ash_TJ
QPR.

Majority of seats are restricted view, the toilets are like a prison and the concourse is tiny. Also when you get to the ground you've actually got to walk an extra 15 minutes round a dodgy estate to get to the away fans turnstile.

loved qpr for those exact reasons, well save restricted view. Think its great walking round the estates, reminds me of maine road (with much less dog crap). stands close to the pitch, you're allowed outside for a cig, the concourse lower teir is a pain in the arse, as its quite narrow. stewards were fine. the fans were fantastic as well. all dead complimentary after the game (despite a few of our fans not exactly covering them selves in glory) and up for a laugh. the wait at the tube after is a ball ache however.

best stewards i've experienced in recent days were at the emriates of all places!
Reply 55
Original post by hbk4894

Other than the size of it, it's not all that impressive, particularly where away fans are. Doesn't give itself to atmosphere, view isn't that impressive and those flappy arm inflatables annoy me for some reason. Westfalenstadion absolutely pisses on it.

The DW just pips the Riverside for me, the fact they always seem to hold the National Tractor Drifting Championship the day before we play there swings it.
Original post by rockrunride
Restricted view is part and parcel of football. As long as it's not terrible (ie back of Anfield Road Lower style) then it's alright.

How do you make that out? There are plenty of grounds with zero restricted view seats.
Original post by RoaminBlue
loved qpr for those exact reasons, well save restricted view. Think its great walking round the estates, reminds me of maine road (with much less dog crap). stands close to the pitch, you're allowed outside for a cig, the concourse lower teir is a pain in the arse, as its quite narrow. stewards were fine. the fans were fantastic as well. all dead complimentary after the game (despite a few of our fans not exactly covering them selves in glory) and up for a laugh. the wait at the tube after is a ball ache however.

best stewards i've experienced in recent days were at the emriates of all places!

Would be nice of your multi-millionaire owners to spend a few quid on the ground though wouldn't it?
Original post by walterwhite123
How do you make that out? There are plenty of grounds with zero restricted view seats.

It's traditional, and it's a hallmark of a ground converted from terraces. Better the compact, atmospheric Loftus Road with a pillar semi in your way but you're otherwise extremely close to the pitch, than the cavernous, half empty Ricoh Arena where you get a clear view but nobody turns up let alone sings.

White Hart Lane is traditional in that sense but I'd say the view is even better at Loftus Road, you are closer to the pitch and the stands are steep.
Reply 59
Original post by RoaminBlue

I payed £46 for my ticket there this season and I couldn't see some of the pitch up the other end because there was a massive blue steward control centre directly infront of me. Baring in mind only about the final right third of the pitch was blocked for me, there was about 20/30 seats to the right of me who's view would've been even more restricted. Bit of a joke that football team's think they can charge that amount of money to watch a game of football when you cant even see some of what's going on.

Latest