The Student Room Group

Constitutional Conventions

Would really appreciate some help, one of my exam questions will be on Conventions and we've been told what to include.

'A definition of conventions must be given alongside detailed examples of how they limit the powers of the monarch, and regulate the workings of and relationship between the key institutions of state (in particular between the government and Parliament). Good answers will examine the issues associated with some constitutional conventions (in particular the convention of individual ministerial responsibility). The issue of codification could also be addressed in this context.'

But how much can you really write about conventions?
Yes obviously theres all these ones about the crown, parliament etc, but what else is there to it? I feel like i'm missing a massive chunk out of Conventions but i just can't find much information on it anywhere.

I presume the issue of codification will relate to whether conventions should be codified, as although some are written, many are not, and they are in no way enforceable in the courts. By codifying conventions does this mean that they would be enforced in the courts as they would be law and not necessarily just rules any more.

How conventions effect the British constitution?

If anyone can point me in the right direction this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Can anyone add any issues surrounding constitutional conventions? Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Anyone? :frown:
Reply 3
I wish I was told what my questions will be on.

I only have a hazy recollection of Public Law - but I would:

Outline the sources of the constitution in general - then the special sources, detail a little bit the prerogatives.

Then a bit on the relationships between the prerogatives and conventions, where there is overlap and why they are different.

Then get started on all the conventions you can think of - Royal Assent, Ministerial Resignation is a good one. I'd go on a bit about how conventions are very fluid and change over time. Compare Westland and Lord Carrington in the Falklands to recent ministers - especially in the Blair government holding on to the bitter end.

Could try some recent stuff - vote of no confidence is a convention - link that to recent things like the fixed term Parliament and coalition agreement.
Reply 4
Original post by Clip
I wish I was told what my questions will be on.

I only have a hazy recollection of Public Law - but I would:

Outline the sources of the constitution in general - then the special sources, detail a little bit the prerogatives.

Then a bit on the relationships between the prerogatives and conventions, where there is overlap and why they are different.

Then get started on all the conventions you can think of - Royal Assent, Ministerial Resignation is a good one. I'd go on a bit about how conventions are very fluid and change over time. Compare Westland and Lord Carrington in the Falklands to recent ministers - especially in the Blair government holding on to the bitter end.

Could try some recent stuff - vote of no confidence is a convention - link that to recent things like the fixed term Parliament and coalition agreement.

Thank you so much. Yes i know, asking for help when we know vaguely whats coming up takes the piss a bit! But i appreciate your comment, i was thinking of the similar route so its nice to have conformation!
Reply 5
Original post by Clip

Outline the sources of the constitution in general - then the special sources,

Sorry, one thing what do you mean by special sources?
Reply 6
can online else help?
Reply 7
bump
Reply 8
But how much can you really write about conventions?

All questions on convention point to one thing, how effective it is arising from its unque "binding nature", you are expected to discuss this with examples ( a list was given) Compare and contrast with other restraining power and devices.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest