Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking for high protein/low carb snacks, general diet tips

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goal is to lose fat current;y approx. 29% bf () never accurately measured though, only electric handheld machine from boots

Any suggestions? Currently, i eat a lot of peanut butter - one 340g jar a week, but ive seen some people saying i should avoid it . I buy that ratehr than actual nuts because its muuuuch cheaper and tastes better

My typical diet is (trying to eat low carb):

Breakfast: two egg, tuna, a bit of milk omlette.

Lunch: spinach/broccoil & cauliflower with two fillets coley fish (sometimes 1 fillet salmon)

Dinner: hmm varies, i try to have mainly meat or protein, but my mum cooks im not in complete control. Often ill have grilled chicken (half or wings, depends how much change i have)

Snacks: 1 or two scoops protein shake (precision engineered frim H&B) and the aforementioned peanut butter.

I dont eat sweets/chocolate/ cake/cheese (i just dont like the taste ) , i may have some crisps now and then (never a whole pack, i might just have a couple from a friend etc.)

So, essentially i just want to know:

is there anything wrong with my diet? Especially, if i eat too much peanut butter?

can anyone suggestion alternative high protein snacks?

Thanks very much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Google high protein snacks.

Personally, beef jerky is delish, nuts, cottage cheese, eggs, tuna.

Diet wise looks clean and good although depends on your specific goal. Do you want to gain muscle? Maintain? lose fat? so on.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInformer)
    Google high protein snacks.

Personally, beef jerky is delish, nuts, cottage cheese, eggs, tuna.

Diet wise looks clean and good although depends on your specific goal. Do you want to gain muscle? Maintain? lose fat? so on.
    thanks, sorry i added some otehr details to the OP - that i want to lose fat and dont eat cheese (just dont like it)

ooh ive never tried beef jerky, that could work . Is it ok to eat lots of eggs and tuna? ive heard obviously of high cholesterol and mercury poisoining , but i dont know he big these threats actually are

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    thanks, sorry i added some otehr details to the OP - that i want to lose fat and dont eat cheese (just dont like it)

ooh ive never tried beef jerky, that could work . Is it ok to eat lots of eggs and tuna? ive heard obviously of high cholesterol and mercury poisoining , but i dont know he big these threats actually are

Thanks
    Are you male or female? not that it really matters as the method of losing fat is the same (guessing female from the use of smilies).

You would be best off doing resistance work (weights) in order to preserve the muscle mass you do have, otherwise you will likely just turn into a lighter version of your current body - skinny fat.

As a fat loss diet you mainly need to focus on calories, eating less than your bodies 'maintenance' calorie need. As it is purely down to calories in vs calories out, carbs don't need to be avoided. It looks high in protein which is great and 'good' fats from fish etc.

I eat double that amount of peanut butter per week, i'm still alive. Regarding tuna and mercury, yes I've heard that as well am not sure but as long as you don't go mental you should be O.K.

Also i'm pretty sure the eggs thing is well known as 'bro-science' and that they are fine for you. Apparently dietary cholesterol doesn't affect the bodies cholesterol, same with dietary fat doesn't affect body fat - that is purely calories.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you male or female? not that it really matters as the method of losing fat is the same (guessing female from the use of smilies).

You would be best off doing resistance work (weights) in order to preserve the muscle mass you do have, otherwise you will likely just turn into a lighter version of your current body - skinny fat.

As a fat loss diet you mainly need to focus on calories, eating less than your bodies 'maintenance' calorie need. As it is purely down to calories in vs calories out, carbs don't need to be avoided. It looks high in protein which is great and 'good' fats from fish etc.

I eat double that amount of peanut butter per week, i'm still alive. Regarding tuna and mercury, yes I've heard that as well am not sure but as long as you don't go mental you should be O.K.

Also i'm pretty sure the eggs thing is well known as 'bro-science' and that they are fine for you. Apparently dietary cholesterol doesn't affect the bodies cholesterol, same with dietary fat doesn't affect body fat - that is purely calories.
    correct haha

ok thanks for that, i was worried about eggs and peanut butter but i wasnt sure, thanks v. much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    correct haha

ok thanks for that, i was worried about eggs and peanut butter but i wasnt sure, thanks v. much
    Knew it was that, girls love smiley faces!

No worries, just remember, although your diet seems very healthy, unless you eat less calories than your bodies maintenance calories you wont lose weight.

Also, hit them weights!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Exactly right for the eggs. They boost good and bad dietary cholesterol equally, so it balances out.

Although, interestingly dietary fat does affect cholesterol.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.